buloke

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

mlp
Beefwood

buloke

Post by mlp » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:06 pm

Hi guys , today i picked up some well quartered buloke with the intention of using it for a fretboard and bridge. apparently this timber has the highest janka rating on the planet (5060 pounds/force). That being the case, i would have expected it to be quite heavy but to my surprise it would be in the same ballpark as some fairly dense tassy blackwood and lighter than gidgee.Has any one out there used this for a fretboard/bridge? Thanks
marcus.

curly
Blackwood

Re: buloke

Post by curly » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:20 pm

Buloke ( Allocasuarina leuhmannii ) is pretty special stuff . It has pretty profound surface hardness and yeah the density is lower than Gidg , about 1100 from memory , cant be stuffed looking it up .
I'd say great for fingerboards but too heavy for your bridge unless you do something radical like back it out .
One downside of true quarter stuff is that the rays are really wide , up to 30mm across ! which would look pretty odd in small sections . Look the pieces over really carefully for hairline cracks , it's really prone to fine checks in drying . Another thing to watch is that whilst having high janka it is weak across the grain , that is to say it's really fissile .
As an aside Buloke is completely awesome firewood , I once sagged the sides on a cast iron stove using it !
Pete

mlp
Beefwood

Post by mlp » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:56 am

Thanks for the reply Pete, any idea's on what a decent weight for a bridge is ? This is only my 3rd build, so i've still got a lot to learn !The first 2 sound pretty good to my ear, maybe a little bit heavy on the bass side of things. Not worthy of putting in the gallery, but hopefully this next one is.
cheers
marcus

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:54 am

mlp wrote:Thanks for the reply Pete, any idea's on what a decent weight for a bridge is ? This is only my 3rd build, so i've still got a lot to learn !The first 2 sound pretty good to my ear, maybe a little bit heavy on the bass side of things. Not worthy of putting in the gallery, but hopefully this next one is.
cheers
marcus
I aim for about 25grams or less for my classicals. My bridges are Gore style laminates of blackwood and carbon fibre matting.
Martin

mlp
Beefwood

Post by mlp » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:10 pm

Thanks Martin, should i aim for about the same on a steel string?

marcus

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:31 pm

mlp wrote:Thanks Martin, should i aim for about the same on a steel string? marcus
Marcus,

I build following the teachings of Trevor Gore. The emphasis is on high stiffness and light weight hence his use of a laminate of CF and wood. A cf layer is also incorporated on the bridge plate on his steel strings. Trevor favours narrow bridges particularly on classicals (gives a stronger cross tripole mode). Woods he favours are low density woods such as walnut, padauk and Tassie Blackwood. The bridges on Trevors contemporary designs weigh between 15 and 20 grams and he recommends 10grams as a "sensible minimum".

Hope this helps.
Martin

mlp
Beefwood

Post by mlp » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:55 pm

Thanks again Martin.

marcus.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:36 pm

I'm about to make up a Gore style laminated bridge for the classical I'm working on. I'll put up some pictures once its finished.
Martin

Wayde Christie

Post by Wayde Christie » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:48 pm

I'm a week away from doing a course with Trevor Gore, and discussions like this fascinate me.

I've got an amazing King Billy Pine soundboard I'm itching to apply his science to :)

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:21 pm

Welcome to the Gore Army Private Christie... :mrgreen:
Martin