Silver Wattle Classical Neck

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Wayde Christie

Silver Wattle Classical Neck

Post by Wayde Christie » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:43 pm

Alright folks?

Anyone got any strong feelings about using Silver Wattle for guitar necks?

Any traps for young players?

demonx
Blackwood

Re: Silver Wattle Classical Neck

Post by demonx » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:42 pm

Wayde Christie wrote:Alright folks?

Anyone got any strong feelings about using Silver Wattle for guitar necks?

Any traps for young players?
I was leaving this hoping someone more knowledgeable would chime in as I've never worked with Wattle myself.

I have had Wattle here air drying and it all split so much the whole lot went into the fire. It was cut and stored in a manner it should have been fine, but Wattle isn't the most reliable timber.

I just had a quick look at Silver Wattle in Keith Bootle's Book "Wood In Australia" and it doesn't say a whole lot. His descriptions are usually pretty spot on and he describes Silver Wattle as having varied density and usable for handles.

Sorry I cannot help more.

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:25 am

Looks like you are on your own Wayde. The only wattles I have used are blackwood for necks which is good, Gidgee but not used it on guitars yet though it seems a good fret board and the northern black wattle which is sort of similar to blackwood. Maybe PM "Curly" and he might be able to give you a bit of a description.

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:46 am

G'day Wayde,

I'm building a parlour guitar at the present and have used Black Wattle for the neck. It is easy to work and carve but being heavy in weight may be a problem. The Koa back, top and side set I'm using is heavy in comparison to a spruce topped guitar. I think this particular build will not be too neck heavy. We have used Black Wattle for back and sides in our Ukulele building courses and it has proved a nice stable wood to use and easy to bend. In my opinion it is very similar to Blackwood.

I have a OM sized set of Silver Wattle in the stash but have never worked with the wood.

Hope that is some help to you

Cheers

Alan
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:16 am

Measure the density of the piece you have, if it gets much above 600kg/m3 it may affect the balance.

soulman
Blackwood

Post by soulman » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:36 pm

I've used Black Wattle for ukuleles(including necks) and a stave snare drum. I figured it is all in the same Acacia family as is Blackwood. I guess it is determined by the density and weight of the actual piece of wattle you have in your hands. All wood is different. You never know if you don't have a go. :git

kpcart
Myrtle

Post by kpcart » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:49 am

soulman, can you post any photos of your black wattle for ukelele necks?
I have a black wattle in my yard, 2 years old, but I think they die between 10-20 years. so I found it interesting you used it for an instrument.

Wattles = Acacia, and there are over 700 varieties in Australia from scrubs to bushes to small bushy trees to tall upright trees.

I also have a cedar wattle in my yard which is my favourite in my yard, and it grows huge, and I believe the wood looks similar to the famous Tasmanian blackwood when cut when old. cedar wattle lives for about 100 years I have read.

back to the topic, silver wattle -- are there a few varieties that are called silver wattle because of the silvery trunk? I have a Mudgee Wattle in my yard that is also silvery.

Wayde, where did you get the idea of using this silver wattle for the neck? is it some dried wood you have got hold of?

soulman
Blackwood

Post by soulman » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:10 am

kpcart wrote:soulman, can you post any photos of your black wattle for ukelele necks?
I have a black wattle in my yard, 2 years old, but I think they die between 10-20 years. so I found it interesting you used it for an instrument.

Wattles = Acacia, and there are over 700 varieties in Australia from scrubs to bushes to small bushy trees to tall upright trees.

I also have a cedar wattle in my yard which is my favourite in my yard, and it grows huge, and I believe the wood looks similar to the famous Tasmanian blackwood when cut when old. cedar wattle lives for about 100 years I have read.

back to the topic, silver wattle -- are there a few varieties that are called silver wattle because of the silvery trunk? I have a Mudgee Wattle in my yard that is also silvery.

Wayde, where did you get the idea of using this silver wattle for the neck? is it some dried wood you have got hold of?
Do a search under," some of my previous builds". Author, Soulman. The first two ukes are the Wattle.

Wayde Christie

Post by Wayde Christie » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:08 pm

I should really subscribe to my own topics - I've completely missed all of this great feedback over the last couple of weeks. Thanks to everyone who replied!
kpcart wrote:Wayde, where did you get the idea of using this silver wattle for the neck? is it some dried wood you have got hold of?
I'm attempting a classical build using all Australian timbers. I've researched what Aussie timbers are available for necks and there aren't many options.

I reckon I'll take the plunge and buy some from Australian Tonewoods and see if I can't get a stable neck out of it.

Thanks again everyone :D

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:25 pm

Wayde Christie wrote:I should really subscribe to my own topics - I've completely missed all of this great feedback over the last couple of weeks. Thanks to everyone who replied!
kpcart wrote:Wayde, where did you get the idea of using this silver wattle for the neck? is it some dried wood you have got hold of?
I'm attempting a classical build using all Australian timbers. I've researched what Aussie timbers are available for necks and there aren't many options.

I reckon I'll take the plunge and buy some from Australian Tonewoods and see if I can't get a stable neck out of it.

Thanks again everyone :D
I've used Queensland Maple on classical necks.....a good wood to work with. Tassie blackwood is another option.

What are you using for top wood?
Martin

Wayde Christie

Post by Wayde Christie » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:05 pm

kiwigeo wrote:I've used Queensland Maple on classical necks.....a good wood to work with. Tassie blackwood is another option.

What are you using for top wood?
Thanks Martin. I'm keen to try something different really, but if it doesn't work out I'll be using one of those.

I managed to get an incredible piece of master grade King Billy Pine for the top :)

Bruce McC
Blackwood

Post by Bruce McC » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:02 pm

Hi Wade

Australian red cedar Toona Ciliata formerly Toona Australis
is another option for a neck on a classical.
Bruce Mc.

Wayde Christie

Post by Wayde Christie » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:03 pm

Bruce McC wrote:Australian red cedar Toona Ciliata formerly Toona Australis is another option for a neck on a classical.
Thanks Bruce - I'll check that out :)

curly
Blackwood

Post by curly » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:39 pm

With the usual considerations covered Silver Wattle - Acacia dealbata can be very well suited for classical neck construction . It is a strong , light , long fibred timber . Because the trees vary widely over their growth area , extra care should be taken with stock selection . The best trees grow in the montane forests ( high altitude , just below alpine ) in cental Vic as well as Tas . Trees at lower elevation and lower rainfall tend to have higher density and being smaller are more prone to wobbly grain .
One perk of Silver Wattle is that it often has light shimmery fiddle .
Another last thing to watch is carroty or partly decayed timber which can be hard to spot . Silver Wattle is very prone to fungal attack as a tree or as a log .
Pete

Wayde Christie

Post by Wayde Christie » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:39 pm

Thanks very much Pete - that's fantastic information. I really appreciate your time and expertise :)