Dremel Flag

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

ap404
Myrtle

Dremel Flag

Post by ap404 » Sat May 24, 2008 7:38 pm

Over at Frets.com

Since inlay bits have been a topic of discussion again ...

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier ... lflag.html

This one's in the 'So Simple It Hurts' category ... from Frank Ford's site just last week. He's mostly been posting engineering/tooling tips from his metalworkshop for the last few years but i still check in every couple of days 'cos I reckon that it was while reading a neck re-set tutorial on Frets.com about 11 years ago ( at work ) that I suddenly thought "I'd like to try this guitarmaking/fettling business ..."

Cheers, A.P.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sat May 24, 2008 9:28 pm

Thanks 4 the link AP.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you had to be stuck on a deserted island with just one other bloke, your best choice would have to be Frank Ford. At least with his masterful ability to solve a problem you would wait out the rescue in comfort.

A big thanks to Frank and Frets.com for being one of the most useful resources anywhere, especially for the repair dude.

Cheers

Kim

ap404
Myrtle

Post by ap404 » Sat May 24, 2008 9:44 pm

Hmmm ...
If you had to be stuck on a deserted island with just one other bloke, your best choice would have to be Frank Ford.
I reckon I might choose a canoe building expert in that particular scenario ( maybe i could even specify a female one ... ) but yep, if not for a public transport strike when i was briefly in bay area CA, I would have dropped in on Gryphon to shake his hand.

A.P.

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Sat May 24, 2008 11:29 pm

You know, I would have hooked up a tube from an aquarium pump to the Dremel, and would have thought I was clever. Frank Ford is clever!

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sun May 25, 2008 12:38 am

ap404 wrote:Hmmm ...
If you had to be stuck on a deserted island with just one other bloke, your best choice would have to be Frank Ford.
I reckon I might choose a canoe building expert in that particular scenario ( maybe i could even specify a female one ... )

A.P.
Hmmm, what ever your into AP, if canoe building female blokes are what rings ur bell then who am I to argue. :wink: :lol:

Yep, Frank's a clever fella and many of us owe him a good deal of gratitude for all he has shared over the years.

Cheers

Kim

Ron Wisdom
Blackwood

Post by Ron Wisdom » Sun May 25, 2008 12:48 pm

That is very clever!! Although I think it would be distracting and you would really have to focus. Or, maybe it's hardly noticeable when spinning. I use an aquarium pump on mine and it works well, but I may try the "flag" as it would be less cumbersome.

Ron

BillyT
Blackwood

Post by BillyT » Sun May 25, 2008 8:14 pm

Great idea! Frank has some great tips on that site! I've learned a lot from there!