Progress on No 13

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

Progress on No 13

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:39 pm

This guitar has been on the bench for over a year now....its a falcate braced classical with bolt on/bolt down neck. Progress has been slow due to heavy work commitments, family issues and and a pending new house build. Over the last week I got back up to speed in the workshop and the fretboard has been made up and is nearly ready for gluing onto the neck. This is the second neck I made for this guitar. The first neck ended up in the fire....I used knock down bolts and found them fiddly to get right. The second neck has a brass bar in the heel block into which the neck screws lock...straight out of Trevor and Gerards books. The neck is laminated Fijian mahogany and some orphan jarrah sides I had lying around. The original mahogany blanks were flat-sawn hence the reason for laminating same.
IMG_0278.jpg
IMG_0282.jpg
IMG_0280.jpg
Martin

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Re: Progress on No 13

Post by Trevor Gore » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:46 pm

Good to see you trying the BOBO classical neck, Martin. I don't think I've seen pics of anyone else doing it yet (will probably get an avalanche of prior builds now!) Not the easiest geometry to get one's head around, but it does work well. Looking good!

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:35 am

Looking good so far Martin :D Can I ask what the shim under the fingerboard is for? Enquiring minds and all that :wink: Love the arrow shaped fret markers too :lol:
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:40 am

That's looking good Martin , Im also working with a BOBO neck at the moment. And I'm with Nick on fret markers +1
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:59 am

Nick wrote:Looking good so far Martin :D Can I ask what the shim under the fingerboard is for? Enquiring minds and all that
I was looking at that wondering what it's about too!?

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:12 am

I suspect that is a template for shaping and profiling the fretboard and neck, so they match up close when assembled
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:35 am

Nick wrote:Looking good so far Martin :D Can I ask what the shim under the fingerboard is for? Enquiring minds and all that :wink: Love the arrow shaped fret markers too :lol:
It's to do with the requirements of a bolt on bolt down neck and the positive neck rake usually present on a classical. Some makers make the fretboard wedge shaped to deal with the complex geometrical requirements. Trevor approaches the problem by making the upper bout flat where the fretboard bolts down and the wedge under the fretboard is visually less confronting than a wedge shaped fretboard.

The arrows are to remind me which way to run the plane when planing the sides of the fretboard...ebony gets nasty on your when you plane it the wrong way.
Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:42 pm

Of course if you want to see it all explained in detail by Trevor with photos and drawings then you can always buy THE BOOKS!!!
Martin

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:54 am

kiwigeo wrote:Of course if you want to see it all explained in detail by Trevor with photos and drawings then you can always buy THE BOOKS!!!
Trevor and Gerard have already got my money :P As you can tell, I just haven't gotten around to reading them yet! Time is a luxury commodity these days it seems. Why is nature so cruel? As you get older life speeds up instead of slowing down :evil:
"Jesus Loves You."

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:55 am

A bit more progress over the last few weeks. Headstock has been rough shaped and tuner post holes and slots will be done once a new side hole drilling guide arrives from LMI. In the past Ive used a cheap arse drilling guide or my Luthiertools jig but both have their problems. The heel has been trimmed back and next job will be installing the heel cap. Note in the photos there's a routing template stuck to the top of the headstock. Also visible is the "wedge" under the fretboard discussed in earlier posts. Its very visible in places but after further sanding and finishing it should become less obvious.
IMG_0296.jpg
IMG_0298.jpg
IMG_0303.jpg
IMG_0306.jpg
Martin

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:15 am

This one is coming together very nicely Martin!
I also always like to look at the background in your pictures, your woodpile is as priceless as legendary. :D
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:14 am

charangohabsburg wrote:I also always like to look at the background in your pictures, your woodpile is as priceless as legendary. :D
Not to mention the fact that it could fuel enough steam generators to power a small city in the event of a nuclear holocaust! :wink:
"Jesus Loves You."

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:07 am

charangohabsburg wrote:This one is coming together very nicely Martin!
I also always like to look at the background in your pictures, your woodpile is as priceless as legendary. :D
Yeah its not a bad stash. Unfortunately there's so much wood Ive lost track of half of it......there'll be a huge stock take happening sometime soon. My wife has asked me what she'd do if I died. I told her my mates at the ANZLF would help her out.
Martin

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:18 am

kiwigeo wrote: My wife has asked me what she'd do if I died. I told her my mates at the ANZLF would help her out.
The responsibility you take as her husband is admirable! :cl
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:51 pm

charangohabsburg wrote:
kiwigeo wrote: My wife has asked me what she'd do if I died. I told her my mates at the ANZLF would help her out.
The responsibility you take as her husband is admirable! :cl
Wholeheartedly agreed Markus. Admirable 'and' commendable...Well done Marty, your an inspiration to us all and a shoe-in to pass the ocka citizenship test.

I'll take the spruce thanks............ :lol:

Cheers

Kim

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:22 pm

Must say i wholeheartedly agree with Markus and Kim :cl

Steve

kiwigeo
Admin