did something different

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

tippie53
Myrtle

did something different

Post by tippie53 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:20 pm

Seems for what ever reason we do thing the way we do them more from habit. I changed my kerfed lining glue in technique on the last few guitars and it worked so well I want to share .
I no longer apply the glue to the kerfing , I put the glue on the side of the guitar and then set in the linings. I find that it went in easier and neater. I hope others try this and report back. This really helped to neaten up this part of the job.
Member of the board ASIA
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com

Nick
Blackwood

Re: did something different

Post by Nick » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:33 am

Yeah it's funny how things like this are tiny yet easily overlooked, we get set in our ways and do things the same way each time until that "A-HA!" moment. Do you mark your side so you know how far to take the glue down or just spread it on roughly by eye?
I must admit I've never had a problem keeping my linings neat and tidy, I learnt from Bob Benedetto's video series about applying just enough glue for an effective joint and Bob has the same anal attitude as I have about keeping the inside of the box as clean as the outside but I'm sure there are other areas of my building where I could apply your principle of finding a better/easier work practice. Thanks for sharing John, goes to show that even when somebody such as yourself with the years of experience that you have under your belt, we can all still learn new things
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.