Binding Adhesive in NZ?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Jehu
Sassafras

Binding Adhesive in NZ?

Post by Jehu » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:14 am

Can anyone recommend a good Bunnings-available ABS plastic-to-wood binding adhesive in New Zealand?

None of the popular brands/products that people tend to recommend (e.g., Weld-On 16, etc.) are readily available here, from what I can tell.

Thanks!
Jay

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Binding Adhesive in NZ?

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:32 am

Jehu wrote:Can anyone recommend a good Bunnings-available ABS plastic-to-wood binding adhesive in New Zealand?

None of the popular brands/products that people tend to recommend (e.g., Weld-On 16, etc.) are readily available here, from what I can tell.

Thanks!
Jay
Nick would be able to answer this one. I recall same query in a previous thread.
Martin

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:51 pm

Mulford plastics are the NZ agents and do Weld-on 16, I have tried other brands and glues and for some reason they've never quite glued plastic bindings to wood quite as well as the Weldon does.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:57 pm

I buy my Weld-on from a local engineering plastics supplier, so maybe call around see if the places local to you that sell perspex etc stock it?

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:02 pm

demonx wrote:I buy my Weld-on from a local engineering plastics supplier, so maybe call around see if the places local to you that sell perspex etc stock it?
NZ seems to be the land of monopolies...I mean, sole agencies Allan and I'm pretty sure Mulford is the only supplier of Weldon Products here. If there is another I haven't found them yet :( The term "short and curlies" seems to be a common term applied to the New Zealand business model!
"Jesus Loves You."

lauburu
Blackwood

Post by lauburu » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:26 am

There's a hobby glue - Tamiya I think - that comes out in little bottles with a brush/ screwcap arrangement (sort of like nail polish). It's available from the hobby stores and isn't overly expensive. I've used it once and it worked fine. Smells similar to Weldon so might be a similar product.
Miguel

Shane Woonton
Blackwood

Post by Shane Woonton » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:34 am

I had the same problem and ended up finding weld-on 16 at a local business that supplied sign-making equipment and materials. that was in Christchurch but sorry, can't remember the business name.

Shane

Jehu
Sassafras

Post by Jehu » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:32 am

Thanks all, I think I've tracked down some Weld-On through Mulford Plastics.

Miguel -- thanks for the heads up on the Tamiya stuff; good to know that there is an alternative out there should I find myself in a pinch.

soulman
Blackwood

Post by soulman » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:18 pm

I used Tarzans grip.

Ross

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:24 am

lauburu wrote:There's a hobby glue - Tamiya I think - that comes out in little bottles with a brush/ screwcap arrangement (sort of like nail polish). It's available from the hobby stores and isn't overly expensive. I've used it once and it worked fine. Smells similar to Weldon so might be a similar product.
Miguel
Both use an Acetone base (hence the similar smell), I've never used or thought of using modeling glue! ABS bindings and plastic models certainly share styrene as part of their makeup so I guess there is no reason why it wouldn't work. On a cost basis you get more in tube of Weldon, the modeling stuff, whilst not seeming expensive is only a small bottle so per guitar would probably work out being the dearer option but a useful one if you get stuck.
"Jesus Loves You."