Need help, I've exhausted my usual suppliers.

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Nick
Blackwood

Need help, I've exhausted my usual suppliers.

Post by Nick » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:11 pm

I have a customer that has a Fender Strat re-issue 70's body he's building up. I've got the job of making a 'vintage' neck for it. He was originally going to source the tuners for it but has ended up handing that task off to me.
He's quite specific in what he wants, he doesn't want the 70's style diamond shaped (the type with the large F stamped on it) but wants the earlier 60's Kluson oval button style. However this comes with requirements as well! He doesn't want the traditional 'top loading' split shaft type (not sure why, but he is the customer) but wants a hole through type shaft. I looked and could only find those that come with the split shaft, I then managed to find some that Gotoh make that have a hole through plus nice string locking ability but no....he doesn't want the string locking :roll:.
So does anybody know if there are any suppliers that sell Kluson oval button style tuners, nickel or chrome finish, with a hole type shaft and not the split shaft?
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Nick
Blackwood

Re: Need help, I've exhausted my usual suppliers.

Post by Nick » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:01 pm

Thanks Allan, I've checked out those guys and they are either the split shaft top loading type or the locking type, both, unfortunately, not the type the customer wants ( grrrr, would make my job a lot easier if they did!). I see the 3 a side type has the hole in the shaft and no top slot but the wrong base plate and I don't fancy ordering two sets just to get one set of 6 in a line. :cry:
"Jesus Loves You."

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:08 pm

The tonepros are all splitpost for the 6 in line config
And the others are too except for the lockers
I have not seen a set of hole through non locking Kluson style tuners for 6 in line, they might exist but I doubt it would be in a good quality brand.

Dekka
Blackwood

Post by Dekka » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:09 pm

"Tuoba-esra si od I gnihtyreve."

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:07 am

jeffhigh wrote:The tonepros are all splitpost for the 6 in line config
And the others are too except for the lockers
I have not seen a set of hole through non locking Kluson style tuners for 6 in line, they might exist but I doubt it would be in a good quality brand.
That's what I found too Jeff.

Well thanks everyone for your help but the customer emailed me this morning informing me he's found everything that he wants from somebody right here in NZ. I'll be interested in seeing what tuners he shows up with because I'm almost 100% certain the Kluson's don't come in the configuration he wanted.
"Jesus Loves You."