Double bass resto/repair

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

rocket
Blackwood

Double bass resto/repair

Post by rocket » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:13 pm

Hi all, the opportunity arose so i thought it was time to broaden my horizons a bit :) :) the story goes, i saw this bass up for sale inc. bow, soft case/gig bag and damaged belly, picked it up for less than $300, someone has already had a go at it but a very amateurish job to say the least. The instrument has laminated plates, the label says it's 14 years old and maybe European, not sure if HHG was used in original build or not, now here's the cruncher,,, :oops: :oops: i want to pick the brains of my fellow forumites as to how i tackle this repair job. Do i take the belly off or the back to gain access to guts of the problem?if the belly has to come off do i take the finger board off first? If HHG isn't what is holding this together what is likely to be? and is heat and steam the most appropriate tool here?
Any pearls of wisdom offered here will be much appreciated. :? :? :?
Rod
IMG_2457.JPG
IMG_2457.JPG (99.27 KiB) Viewed 27063 times
IMG_2460.JPG
IMG_2460.JPG (69.32 KiB) Viewed 27063 times
IMG_2455.JPG
IMG_2455.JPG (88.61 KiB) Viewed 27063 times
IMG_2456.JPG
IMG_2456.JPG (78.38 KiB) Viewed 27063 times
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

simso
Blackwood

Re: Double bass resto/repair

Post by simso » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:05 pm

What the,

Is the whole black area a replacement section fitted (badly), or have they painted the original area black after attempting and failing at the repair of patching a split top at sound post location

It looks really bad
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:18 pm

Yes the area has been painted black to disguise the shitty repair attempt, i can feel a couple of chunks of timber has been glued beneath the area when feel inside the "f" hole, this will all have to come off and a proper repair done, so i'm hoping to be able to get inside and up close.

Rod.

www.octiganguitars.com

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:58 pm

Okay, you may not have to remove top or back, but you do need to remove all the black paint so you can see what has been done, it appears they have cut a section out and then tried to graft a section in, is this right
Steve
Master of nothing,

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:02 pm

Silly silly way to repair a soundpost top split.

Once you have the old repair removed post photos and I can walk you through the repair process, you wont need to remove the top or back,

If you wanted to remove for repair, then you remove the back, I would use steam and a blade, at a guess it looks like a cheapie, so they would not have used hide glue, but used a yellow glue, so heat and steam, just go easy around the neck heel extension. It kind of looks like they have yanked the top of and made an absolute mess of it
Steve
Master of nothing,

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:24 pm

Looks like there's even a coat of finish plaster on there...

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:20 pm

Proper way to do it:

Take the belly off. Knife, wedges, steam. patience. All needed.

repair the broken areas - glue them together. You may have to press the belly curve out a bit. yes you can use epoxy on a ply bass :-)
reinforce the whole belly area between the FFS with a spruce or pine veneer or patch. I'd use HHG.
plane down the edges of the patch.
Repair the edges of the plate damaged when you remove the top. Yes you can use epoxy to put new wood in there.
Clean up the rib edges and linings for new glue-up
Check bassbar is glued proberly and in OK shape. if not, plane it out and replace it with a new one.
Check the back and blocks for splits

you only want to remove the belly once.

replace the belly with HHG
refit new soundpost.

Away you go.

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:21 pm

PS I would NOT remove the back.

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:54 pm

Thanks for your advice Mathew, I suspect the first failed attempt at repairing this has used a foreign piece of material, ply as well, as the inner upper edge of the F hole is very thin and protruding out of line of the arching this i think would explain the use of a plaster type filler closer to the bridge area, i think a flat bit of ply was used and the only shaping was done with the filler. I was thinking of using some spruce stock as a patching material and carving to shape inside and out, do you think this will be compatible with the ply? also i'm fairly certain hhg wasn't used in the original build, is steam and hot knives and wedges and patience going to be sufficient for this novice bass repairer? :oops: :oops:
Cheers,,

Rod.

www.octiganguitars.com

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:17 pm

PS. I Would remove the back.
Steve
Master of nothing,

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:29 pm

Simso I'm sure you have excellent reasons for going in through the back door, but in my opinion it will only make things harder.

Rocket, if you did that, you would have to support the bass. top down. for quite a while, that fingerboard is really going to get in the way :-). But with the top off, you can throw the bass in the corner, do the top repair on your bench, and bring the rest out when its time to glue up again. Don't take the fingerboard off.

A double bass has very deep ribs and to do any useful work on the top you need to remove the top, as working any other way leaning into the instrument is really difficult. Plus, the back is usually glued on with stronger glue, and has a functional (and decorative) attachment to the neck at the button, even on cheap junky instruments. That is why i would do what I do on every instrument that comes in needing top repairs; remove the top. And yes, I only do double basses and cellos. You will need to remove the top to be able to remove all the bad repair wood, back to the original. Yes you will find yellow glue white glue and God knows what inside. Yes you will likely damage the ribs and the edges of the top when you remove it. But the top glues along a flat surface. So provided you can restore a solid gluing surface to the edges and the rib linings, its all good. (this is another reason for not removing the back; a back often has a bend at the upper bout and this makes it harder to get a good fit to reglue). I'd try a kitchen knife with a curved blade, dry, work it into the seam slowly and if you're lucky the seam will pop open. look for places where the seam may already be giving way ... good place to start the knife.

You'll need to work the knife, or knives, around the perimeter being carefully to only separate the joint, not cut into the top of the ribs. Heat may help. At each of the corners and at the top and bottom there's a block, but as its a BSO they probably won't be glued up all that well. But you will need to work the knife in carefully around the neck joint to get that area to release easily. take your time. You will damage the edges in places. But you just have to repair them again. Standard procedure.

I would repair the edges where the ply delaminates with good strong glue and any wood you care to use. Its only plywood. plane back to shape.

I would then remove all the bad repair wood on the plate with a chisel and a plane, and perhaps soak off the last .5mm. But you could just sand it out too. This is not a valuable instrument yet :-)

Then I would reglue the top cracks, pressing between paper or foil and perspex to make sure the edges all line up nicely. You don't want to go shaping the outside if you can help it. Epoxy would be fine and fill any gaps nicely.

Then I would use say a 4mm piece of guitar top as a patch material and fit that to the inside of the top. You'll have to see how best to get a really good fit. Heat blanket and sandbags might do it. or you might need to chalk fit a bit. You can do it in two halves if that's easier. Go edge to edge between the FFs. Glue with whatever you like. I have used just radiata pine to patch a ply bass top before. It works fine. you do need to get a good fit though.

Then i would plane down the edges of the patch, leaving a nice flat bit where the soundpost will go.

I cant really tell from the pics but if the edge of the FF is misaligned this is most likely because the top is deformed. Much less likely someone has inserted flat ply in there (although i could be wrong) To get the top back into shape you need to press it back out to the right curve using heat and weights AFTER you reglue the crack but BEFORE you put in the patch.

Also check the ply at the back where the soundpost sits. if it is bulging you may wish, while the top is off, to add a veneer patch there too to spread the load. tis often done.

Hope this is useful.

There may be other repair methods, like pouring in bondo from the back, or falcate bracing, or magnets, or fibreglass, and these may work just fine, but it's not what I would do.

You have a pile of firewood there, you can rescue it with some time and care, and then you will have a cheap ply bass (about the cheapest money can buy) if the neck doesn't snap. Check the scroll chin and pegbox before you do any top repairs. If you have cracks there, yu'll need to fix them before its even worth having a go at the top. Is the fingerboard ebony? Hope so. Check by scraping at the cut end of the fingerboard with a chisel. If the paint comes off, its not ebony. Another thing you're going to have to deal with :-/

Have fun!
Last edited by matthew on Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:39 pm

... you'll need a few dozen quick release clamps, or 10" spool clamps to reglue the top. there's a trick to that. do the repair and then i'll tell ya what it is.

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:25 pm

I am definitely no expert...but why not take the challenge of making an entire new soundboard? I have seen a cheap plywood bass with a damaged top rebuilt with a King Billy or Huon pine top (not sure which) by Wooragee violin maker Kevin Williams. Sounds great and much improved. By the way, Williams was an apprentice of A.B.Smith, a famous Australian luthier renowned for his violas. Kevin's apprentice Warren Fordham is now a very well known maker living, I believe, in Tasmania.
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:36 pm

Well i suppose if i screw up this repair job on the belly without ruining the sides making a new top is an option!! :!: :!: :!:
Rod.

www.octiganguitars.com

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:13 pm

not a bad idea to make a new top if you feel up for it. but not Huon pine or King Billy. you need a slab 45mm thick ... what if you screw up?

western red cedar works really well but you need to hunt for some nice thick quarter sawn bits.

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:26 pm

It's been a while but i've finally started on this repair job, some pics to follow ,,, but the top really is in a bad way, it's a laminated top and when it was impacted part of the lamination layer has been ripped off inside for about 600/700 long, the original repair was a very bad attempt, 3 or 4 layers of ply wood and a coat of plaster filler.
I'll take some pics and get them on here soon!!

Cheers

Rod.

www.octiganguitars.com

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:00 pm

20151115_153246.jpg
20151115_153246.jpg (62.31 KiB) Viewed 25404 times
20151115_154930.jpg
20151115_154930.jpg (96.14 KiB) Viewed 25404 times
20151117_073433.jpg
20151117_073433.jpg (80.78 KiB) Viewed 25404 times
One pic of the black paint scraped away to reveal the spakfiller, then one of the top being separated from the sides, and finally the lump of crap that was shoved into the hole in the belly, looks like liquid nails was used, and you can see a layer of material has been ripped away.

i am open to any technical advice that anyone may have in regards to procedures that might be adopted here!! :shock: :shock:

Rod.

www.octiganguitars.com

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:20 pm

rocket wrote:....... the original repair was a very bad attempt, 3 or 4 layers of ply wood and a coat of plaster filler.
I'll take some pics and get them on here soon!!

Cheers

Rod.
Take it to the home renovation forum buddy!! :D
Martin

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:24 pm

Simply a graft needed
Steve
Master of nothing,

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:46 pm

forget repairing that top. I promise you it will not work out. make a new cedar or pine top and it will sound fab.

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:07 pm

matthew wrote:Proper way to do it:

Take the belly off. Knife, wedges, steam. patience. All needed.

repair the broken areas - glue them together. You may have to press the belly curve out a bit. yes you can use epoxy on a ply bass :-)
reinforce the whole belly area between the FFS with a spruce or pine veneer or patch. I'd use HHG.
plane down the edges of the patch.
Repair the edges of the plate damaged when you remove the top. Yes you can use epoxy to put new wood in there.
Clean up the rib edges and linings for new glue-up
Check bassbar is glued proberly and in OK shape. if not, plane it out and replace it with a new one.
Check the back and blocks for splits

you only want to remove the belly once.

replace the belly with HHG
refit new soundpost.

Away you go.
Thanks for this very good advice Mathew, i thought i'd follow this with a bit of a variation rather than invest more time and money on building a new top for it.
I got the top off ok but did damage it a bit, fixable though, fitted a patch, replaced veneer inside and reinforced with c/f tape.
20151117_073444-2.jpg
a couple of layers of laminate missing
20151117_073444-2.jpg (98.82 KiB) Viewed 25245 times
20151121_122011.jpg
patch glued in, patch is tapered on its 4 sides and so is the belly to receive it
20151121_122011.jpg (89.75 KiB) Viewed 25245 times
20151121_121949.jpg
needs to be planed flush
20151121_121949.jpg (91.91 KiB) Viewed 25245 times
20151121_123415.jpg
20151121_123415.jpg (115.14 KiB) Viewed 25245 times
20151122_095752.jpg
20151122_095752.jpg (99.96 KiB) Viewed 25245 times
20151123_071217.jpg
veneer replace over whole area, covers patch.
20151123_071217.jpg (69.21 KiB) Viewed 25245 times
20151124_070707.jpg
c/f tape reinforcing area.
20151124_070707.jpg (83.04 KiB) Viewed 25245 times
20151124_070724.jpg
pretty neat outside
i still need to replace some damaged bits, some by me and some by others, looks like it,s been stood on, edges of middle bout are damaged a bit.

Cheers

Rod.

www.octiganguitars.com

slowlearner
Blackwood

Post by slowlearner » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:37 pm

You're a better man than me Gungadin... :o

What a huge mess you've had to clean up there. Well done. :)
Pete

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:35 pm

Clearly not a hot topic this one, some might think that it's a time waster but i took it on as a project for some experience and it's proving to be just that.
I had a little trouble maintaining an even margin from the top to the sides but i managed to get it back on ok using hhg, refitted the bridge and sound post and strung it up, i intend to keep it strung for a few weeks and inspect for any signs of failure in the belly, and if it stands up to the test i'l then proceed with the new finish.

Cheers

Rod.
20151211_185109.jpg
20151211_185109.jpg (99.04 KiB) Viewed 25118 times
20151211_185109.jpg
20151211_185109.jpg (99.04 KiB) Viewed 25118 times
20151211_185243.jpg
20151211_185243.jpg (55.96 KiB) Viewed 25118 times
Attachments
20151211_185201.jpg
20151211_185201.jpg (76.15 KiB) Viewed 25118 times

www.octiganguitars.com

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:53 pm

Looks like as respectable a repair as you'd hope for on a bass like that!

Aligning the overhangs is a lot easier of you place the bass top upside down on some trestles, then fit the body over it. You can see the overhangs clearly and adjust the clamps all around till its right. Then loosen a few clamps at a time and work the glue in on a spatula, and you don't get any drips on the inside.

And that patch doesn't look too bad from the outside. Well done!

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:17 pm

No such thing as a time waster, everything we do teaches us new things, even if we have done it before we learn more by doing it again.

Clearly you have learnt a lot in this repair, it will be good when all the finish lacquer work is done

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,