Bandsaw guide upgrade

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

rocket
Blackwood

Bandsaw guide upgrade

Post by rocket » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:46 pm

IMG_2431.JPG
IMG_2431.JPG (161.47 KiB) Viewed 6006 times
IMG_2432.JPG
IMG_2432.JPG (103.3 KiB) Viewed 6006 times
IMG_2433.JPG
IMG_2433.JPG (151.41 KiB) Viewed 6006 times
IMG_2429.JPG
IMG_2429.JPG (123.33 KiB) Viewed 6006 times
When i first started out in this caper i was a bit ignorant about bandsaws, and price always has a bearing on your decisions when it comes to buying tools, anyways i bought a 14 inch bandsaw from carbatec which has been very good , but as time passed i found that the guide assembly was less than perfect in that ,,, the guide bearings were only 7mm wide and not suitable for wider blades, the thrust bearing was mounted at 90 degrees to the blade edge so any load would be across its axis.
A long story short, i purchased a Carter guide upgrade through Lee Valley, it wasn't exactly compatible with the carbatec model but i was able to make some modifications to the mountings and " hey presto" i have a better smoother guide system for my bandsaw, love it!! :D :D
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

simso
Blackwood

Re: Bandsaw guide upgrade

Post by simso » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:46 pm

As carbatec is a pretty popular model, what modifications did you have to make to fit the carter kit
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

old_picker
Blackwood

Post by old_picker » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:29 pm

yesterday i struggled around a rimu solid body with the jet 14" in my workshop - the whole time i was saying in my head "wasted your money on those crappy guides" - bought a set of those composite square things that sit either side of the blade and get chewed up every time they have to do some work

i notice the lee valley units come for jet saws $180.00 plus exchange and freight is not cheap

also found these
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/review ... blocks.htm
not sure how they would go - i would have thought they would heat up too much

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:38 pm

Very nice upgrade Rod, congrats!
I have wondered many times why the thrust bearings on my machine INCA) are mounted at a 90° angle thus getting eaten away more than necessary and producing additional (although not really much more) noise I could live without.
old_picker wrote:i notice the lee valley units come for jet saws $180.00 plus exchange and freight is not cheap
Yes, some people buy an entire brand new "bandsaw" for that amount of money. :lol:
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:30 am

"the thrust bearing was mounted at 90 degrees to the blade edge so any load would be across its axis."

I wonder about this every time I look at the guide bearings on my Carbatec 14" saw.
Martin