Another Router Blooper

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Another Router Blooper

Post by Taffy Evans » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:24 am

This happened last week, lucky I notice the sound of the router change as the bit slipped down, and lucky it happened where it did.
4-DSCF0256.JPG
4-DSCF0256.JPG (68.93 KiB) Viewed 12452 times
1-DSCF0252.JPG
1-DSCF0252.JPG (77.8 KiB) Viewed 12452 times
Taff

demonx
Blackwood

Re: Another Router Blooper

Post by demonx » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:59 am

Those dastardly routers. Can't live with em, can't live without em.

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:15 pm

Whoops, happens to us all unfortunately, what frustrates me is it always happens closer to the end of the job rather than at the start
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

MattW
Myrtle

Post by MattW » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:11 pm

Nice save Taffy

I noticed you have laminated the upper brace, is it for extra stiffnes?
Cheers

Matt

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:56 am

Hi Matt, no just saving my brace wood, I did not want to cut into the good stuff for this brace and thought I'd do something different to get what I wanted.

I nearly got a bigger sound hole, if had not noticed the change in depth. :oops:
Taff

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:27 am

Scary. One more reason than just the noise to not use mines very often. Although, my problem is usually to get the bit out of the collet when I'm done! :lol:
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

Nick Royle
Wandoo

Post by Nick Royle » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:43 am

charangohabsburg wrote:Scary. One more reason than just the noise to not use mines very often. Although, my problem is usually to get the bit out of the collet when I'm done! :lol:
I'm sure you're far more experienced than I but that trouble stopped for me when I followed advice and stopped letting the bit "bottom out" in the collet. Wrong phraseology I'm sure but I now drop it in all the way, then hold it up a fraction while I tighten the collet.

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:56 am

Thanks for the advice Nick, I'll try to think of it next time I'll use a router.
You may be wrong though regarding my experience, at least the one with routers. I use those screaming dust-throwers only about twice per year. But although I almost hate them they come in quite handy now and then! :)
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:46 am

Nick Royle wrote:
charangohabsburg wrote:Scary. One more reason than just the noise to not use mines very often. Although, my problem is usually to get the bit out of the collet when I'm done! :lol:
I'm sure you're far more experienced than I but that trouble stopped for me when I followed advice and stopped letting the bit "bottom out" in the collet. Wrong phraseology I'm sure but I now drop it in all the way, then hold it up a fraction while I tighten the collet.
Even if it wasn't the root cause of the problem position of the cutter shaft in bthe collet is important. I also make sure I keep my collets clean using a cleaning kit that came with my Trend T5 router. Especially important when the router is sitting upside down in a router table.
Martin

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:05 am

I have a Makita router that I have mounted as a overhead pin router, must have had it since the early eighties, and it will not hold the 1/4" or metric shaft bits any more, they slide down. The 1/2" - 12mm bits are fine [uses no collet] Iv'e done all sorts of cleaning and even contacting Makita but it looks like an expensive fix. Used to be able to get Imperial and metric collets but I cant find them now.

Good tip about the placement of the bit in the chuck, thanks.
Taff

Nick Royle
Wandoo

Post by Nick Royle » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:17 am

charangohabsburg wrote:Thanks for the advice Nick, I'll try to think of it next time I'll use a router.
You may be wrong though regarding my experience, at least the one with routers. I use those screaming dust-throwers only about twice per year. But although I almost hate them they come in quite handy now and then! :)
:) I also definitely have a love/hate relationship with routers. I just pattern [table] routed 16 layers of 18mm ply for two OM-ish moulds and I pretty much hated every second of it! It's on the table that they really worry me, I feel a bit better when I'm holding on to the thing... But I've done my first three guitars' binding channels on a router table jig and don't much fancy doing them by hand!

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:27 pm

My old triton router damaged many guitars until I found out if I bought a better quality collet it would solve the problem.

Google Gifkin collet and it may solve a few problems. Worth the money.