Build thread - Blackwood & Bunya Dreadnought

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

demonx
Blackwood

Re: Build thread - Blackwood & Bunya Dreadnought

Post by demonx » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:12 am

colburge wrote:Looks nice, cant wait to see it with a finish on it.

Col
It'll be quite a while yet as this guitars for me and the ones that make money take priority, but yes, I'm pretty keen to see the end of this build as I've got two more acoustics lined up to build straight after.

One an order the other is for stock. The next build looks like it will be Engelmann Spuce with Rosewood back and sides. Much more traditional looking build with exception for the snakewood board and bridge!

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:29 am

demonx wrote:but yes, I'm pretty keen to see the end of this build as I've got two more acoustics lined up to build straight after.
And before you know it you'll have (as well as the electrics you probably have too many of) guitars stuffed in cupboards,under beds, behind the couch, anywhere you can find space for one :wink: .
Coming along nicely Allan.
Just be wary (although I'm sure you're already aware), if you're going to linish that face, a second or two too long on the belt and you could change the neck angle. The linisher is my most used tool in my shop but personally, in this instance, I'd be creeping up on that face. A scraper may take a few minutes more but a cock up would take longer to correct.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:18 am

A few wipes with a 120grit sanding board is how I would handle this.....
Martin

lauburu
Blackwood

Post by lauburu » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:02 am

guitars stuffed in cupboards,under beds, behind the couch, anywhere you can find space for one
I was somewhat concerned to read this as I initially thought Nick must have been casing my home. However, I realised this couldn't be true otherwise he would have mentioned all the ukuleles that fit in all the places that are too small to fit a guitar.
Miguel

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:07 am

And before you know it you'll have (as well as the electrics you probably have too many of) guitars stuffed in cupboards,under beds, behind the couch, anywhere you can find space for one :wink: .
Coming along nicely Allan.
Everything sells. I don't have any unsold stock laying about other than a couple I keep for myself or a couple of early builds that I wouldn't sell. As far as crap shoved in cupboards etc, when I used to collect guitars it was rediculous. Try finding spots for fifty guitars in a small house! I had wall hangers, floor racks, under beds, wardrobes, guitars shoved everywhere there was spare space! Most are sold now. sold to either buy tools/machines or just pay bills in general. I've only got about ten or fifteen guitars and then there's half a dozen customer guitars that are being payed off that I keep in the house to get them out of the workshop.

Just be wary (although I'm sure you're already aware), if you're going to linish that face, a second or two too long on the belt and you could change the neck angle. The linisher is my most used tool in my shop but personally, in this instance, I'd be creeping up on that face. A scraper may take a few minutes more but a cock up would take longer to correct.
You're right. I'll probably give it a gentle block sand with 80grit and see how that goes. I was happy with my efforts on the angle with this one so I would like to keep it in tact!

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:46 pm

About thirty seconds with a cork block and 80 grit and it's looking much better. This is only just sitting in there, not even pulled tight with bolts.

Looks like I need to find time to carve the neck now.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (63.31 KiB) Viewed 6459 times

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:15 pm

Good fit....

I've just spent most of the day f******ng with a neck fit on a bolt on bolt down classical. Fit was perfect before I glued in the bolt down tenon. Refitted the neck with the tenon and saddle clearance had changed by 2mm. Had to rout out the bolt down tenon, re-fit the neck and then make up a new tenon.

Things I've learned about neck fitting:

1. Adjust neck yaw first and then pitch.
2. leave enough space between tenon and mortise bottom to allow for change in clearance due to chisel/sanding work on the cheeks when adjusting for neck pitch. 2mm should be enough.
3. likewise ensure a bit is trimmed off the side of the tenon when adjusting for neck yaw.
4. on a Gore style classical with no bridge patch the bout area around the bridge may sink a little. The top will pull up once the bridge goes on. In this case allow a bit for top "pull up" when adjusting neck pitch.
5. take care when flossing between cheek and guitar front with sandpaper. Make sure the paper doesn't exit the joint at an angle and leave a gap at top or bottom of heel.
Martin

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:36 pm

I got around to trying the cutaway jig I made up for the LMI bender today.

Rosewood cutaway and two strips of ebony. I took it extra slow and it bent without drama.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (78.45 KiB) Viewed 6402 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (79.65 KiB) Viewed 6402 times