Build thread - Blackwood & Bunya Dreadnought

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

demonx
Blackwood

Re: Build thread - Blackwood & Bunya Dreadnought

Post by demonx » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:09 pm

Deep throat clamps arrived today so I figured I'd try them out on the rest of the bracing

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:35 pm

Nice :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:21 am

Um.....that beefy looking centre seam reinforcement strip running under the tone bars.....I would have just stuck a few reinforcing diamonds along the seam.
Martin

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:16 pm

kiwigeo wrote:Um.....that beefy looking centre seam reinforcement strip running under the tone bars.....I would have just stuck a few reinforcing diamonds along the seam.
It's only about a millimeter or so thick.

I'm going off the guidance of a local a person who has been building for a living since before I was born, so I have to trust his judgement.

In saying that, the book I have here (Cumpiano & Natelson) does illustrate diamonds.

I am doing a few things differently and just experimenting for myself, but I am also following his "suggestions" for the layout and assembly. I'm coming up with my own tooling fixes and styling, but yeah, it's a combined venture. The next build will be different

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:17 pm

Started on the brace carving today but ran out of time.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (81.98 KiB) Viewed 18058 times

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:42 pm

I haven't actually tested his observations,but go along with alot of what he says as being sound and valuable info,but I watched Kent Everett's dvd on his approach to bracing tops e.t.c and he told a story about one of his students who brought a top to him that just didn't sound as lively as he thought it should. The student had used diamond re-enforcing but had left it at about 1-1.5mm high, Kent shaved them down some more and said that even he was surprised by just how much the top opened up by the simple removal of a seemingly small amount.
You can only go on the info you've been given and by a builder you know has been building for some years, but you will learn yourself as you've probably done with your electrics, that (if you keep building more acoustics) each build you will try somethings a little differently until you hit on what you perceive to be 'the' sound you are wanting to achieve. Maybe this is an area you could look at experimenting with on another build and compare, only then will you know whats the best for you.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:10 pm

Nick wrote: You can only go on the info you've been given and by a builder you know has been building for some years,.......
Not only this, but I have played several of his guitars, including one which is in my personal collection, so I have a prior knowledge that his "sound" is something for me to strive towards. Add to that I have personally seen his older builds after they have toured the world and know they hold up to the test of time, I feel like I can trust his opinions and knowledge to be solid.

Solandra
Gidgee

Post by Solandra » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:15 pm

Can I ask where you got your new clamps??

thanks!
Mark

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:52 pm

The timber deep throat ones are stewmac. Screw, not cam. They worked out $25ea after freight and were here in five days

Solandra
Gidgee

Post by Solandra » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:30 am

Thanks I'll check them out.

Mark

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:59 am

Solandra wrote:Thanks I'll check them out.

Mark
They're not awesome quality or anything and I'd hate to think what would happen if I dropped one, but there is a shortage of affordable deep throat clamps on the market. For the price I paid for twenty of these I'd have walked away from carbatec with four.

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:37 pm

Looks like bracing to me - but what do I know??!!

Every picture of bracing I look at is different and everything I read is another opinion, so I went with a standard straight brace with a gentle scallop from the center
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (81.73 KiB) Viewed 17978 times

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:47 pm

demonx wrote:Every picture of bracing I look at is different and everything I read is another opinion,
:lol: Welcome to the world of acoustic guitar making Alan :wink: There are as many different opinions on ways to build a great sounding acoustic as there are Tee shirts in my wardrobe (50+ at last count :oops:). Just build it the way you've been told and you should have a nice guitar at the end of it, experimentation is for future builds should you decide to build more, but you have to have one under your belt to compare with.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:23 pm

demonx wrote:Looks like bracing to me - but what do I know??!!

Every picture of bracing I look at is different and everything I read is another opinion, so I went with a standard straight brace with a gentle scallop from the center
Trevor's got a few opinions I'm sure but I've found his books contain mainly facts based on carefully thought out following scientific method.
Martin

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:25 am

Hmmmm. scalloping the actual intersection of the x braces, that's an unusual decision. is that really what your mentor does?

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:35 am

jeffhigh wrote:Hmmmm. scalloping the actual intersection of the x braces, that's an unusual decision. is that really what your mentor does?
No, he doesn't scallop, except for the standard end curves. His opinion on the matter varies from others and he insists the top choice is more important than the bracing carve. He's not too impressed with my choice of Bunya and Blackwood! In the actual construction/installation of the bracing he's very particular but said just carve it to look nice as long as long as it's started from particular dimensions according to the top choice.

It was just something I added for the hell of it, it's only so very slight it's barely noticeable anyway.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:03 pm

Maybe just my preference but I'd be taking a bit more meat off alot of those braces.
Martin

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:33 pm

kiwigeo wrote:Maybe just my preference but I'd be taking a bit more meat off alot of those braces.
I'll take it around and get it looked at in a week or so. I won't be touching it again until the new quarter sawn back and sides arrive and I get the new matching back up to speed, then I'll focus on the top again.

I'll probably end out taking more off the sides of the X bars and the lower face bars.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:34 pm

demonx wrote:
kiwigeo wrote:Maybe just my preference but I'd be taking a bit more meat off alot of those braces.
I'll take it around and get it looked at in a week or so. I won't be touching it again until the new quarter sawn back and sides arrive and I get the new matching back up to speed, then I'll focus on the top again.

I'll probably end out taking more off the sides of the X bars and the lower face bars.
Yep....keep the height but just shave some of the fat off the sides.....it works wonders on braces and fat b****ds like me :)
Martin

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:45 pm

I was curious whether the "bake" stage was really worth the effort, so I did a test with these two pieces using up the last of the flat sawn test pieces is cut

Neither were put into a form, one was baked for the recommended 15 minutes and the other pulled straight out. Both were sat on a flat bench and left to their own accord.

Even though both have are unusable, it clearly shows the bake does actually help it keep shape.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (97.29 KiB) Viewed 17785 times

colburge
Blackwood

Post by colburge » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:51 pm

demonx wrote:I was curious whether the "bake" stage was really worth the effort, so I did a test with these two pieces using up the last of the flat sawn test pieces is cut

Neither were put into a form, one was baked for the recommended 15 minutes and the other pulled straight out. Both were sat on a flat bench and left to their own accord.

Even though both have are unusable, it clearly shows the bake does actually help it keep shape.
Cool, I will definitely bake.

Col

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:59 pm

I am with Martin here...I would be tapering the lower legs of the X from about 1/2 way through the bridge plate down to nothing at the linings...I pull mine up well short actually, tapered to nothing, but most people tuck them into the linings in the traditional way....but yes less wood.
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:46 pm

Test bends are over and I just unwrapped the first of the quarter sawn sides I bought in fiddleback blackwood.

Shape is good, no ripples (thankyou!) and no damage.

I'm really hoping the acid you guys are suggesting is a miracle worker as this stuff has colored immensely, even though I'm using the demineralised water and barely any of it

Is this normal?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (104.03 KiB) Viewed 17764 times

GregL
Blackwood

Post by GregL » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:27 pm

Hi Allan,

I'm afraid I can't offer any help, sorry. But I would be interested if you could post what finally works for you at the end of your journey. I have some Blackwood sides to bend in future, it would be useful to know any tips and tricks (I have bent Mahogany and Australian Red Cedar sides with no problems - though that's probably pretty easy timber to bend).

Thanks,
GregL.

colburge
Blackwood

Post by colburge » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:49 pm

Oxalic acid works in no time, you will be right.

Col