Euro spruce/Curly narra Grand Concert cutaway

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Dave White
Blackwood

Euro spruce/Curly narra Grand Concert cutaway

Post by Dave White » Thu May 15, 2008 4:59 am

Last September I showed some of my instruments at the first Cheltenham Acoustic Guitar Show. This is the nearest that the UK has to something like Healdsburg and I had an absolute blast. The show was the result of the vision and determination of three individuals who love acoustic guitars and I wanted to do something to help to keep this show as an annual fixture, so I offered to make a guitar that they could use to promote this years show and to be given away to a lucky attendee at the show in September this year. For last years show I made a new model – “Smahain Cheltenhamâ€
Dave White
[url=http://www.defaoiteguitars.com]De Faoite Stringed Instruments[/url]

Arnt
Blackwood

Post by Arnt » Thu May 15, 2008 6:25 am

Hi Dave that is a very generous thing to do (also a smart way to get some publicity for your brand I bet, nice move there :D)!

The guitar looks unmistakably like a Dave White product, which I like a lot; both the product and the fact that you have such a easily recognizable style, that is. Unfortunately I have no sound on this computer, I bet it sounds wonderful.

Hey, I'll be in London in September, not sure of the dates yet. Perhaps I'll get a chance to go and see you guys up in Cheltenham.
Arnt Rian,
Norway

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Thu May 15, 2008 1:50 pm

If I sent a post card of myself to Cheltenham can someone please enter me in the draw??? That's just beautiful Dave I especially like your brace pattern. 8)

Cheers

Kim

Colin S
Myrtle

Post by Colin S » Thu May 15, 2008 6:51 pm

Dave, as I've said before that is one beautiful guitar, truly worthy of the De Faoite label. The eventual owner will be one lucky guy, and Cheltenham are lucky to have this guitar as publicity, I'll try and get there this year.

Oh, and if in doubt play Anji, always been my rule!

Colin

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Thu May 15, 2008 8:44 pm

Beautiful looking instrument Dave in your typically understated style.

And I imagine it would sound as only one of yours would.

You've got some interesting looking plants growing in your garden. I believe I've seen ones with similar leaves growing here in Australia.

Cheers

Bob

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Thu May 15, 2008 10:30 pm

Hello Dave,

Very elegant looking guitar. I love the concept of a 13 fret acoustic guitar.

Thank you for sharing!

BTW i posted some weights for you of my sassafrass top and back braced but not carved.

Cheers

Alan

Dave White
Blackwood

Post by Dave White » Thu May 15, 2008 11:54 pm

Arnt,

Thank you. I'm hoping that this will be win-win for both the show and me eventually but I made the offer originally just wanting to help the show. Interestingly, the body shape is pretty much a Taylor 312, but the waist may be a little tighter and everything else is different.

The Cheltenham Show is on the 13/14th September so if you can make it there it will be great to see you. There's also and acoustic guitar show on at the Barbican in London on 27/28th of September that will have some small builders there but is a more general show - I won't be showing at that one.

Kim,

I'll let you know what the competition is when it is finalised - you may well be able to enter. The bracing is pretty much my standard one now.

Colin,

Thanks and thanks for your help on French Polishing techniques - I was unworthy for this guitar but will get there eventually. It would be great to see you at Cheltenham this year.

Bob,

Thanks. The plants are mostly geraniums and a viburnum. It just looks a bit like Oz as the sun was shining :D

Alan,

Thanks. I've replied on your post.
Dave White
[url=http://www.defaoiteguitars.com]De Faoite Stringed Instruments[/url]