Brazilian Rosewood

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Bob Connor
Admin

Brazilian Rosewood

Post by Bob Connor » Wed May 28, 2014 8:45 pm

Very interesting post from Chuck Erikson over at the Official Luthiers Forum regarding the status of Brazilian Rosewood.

http://www.luthiersforum.com/forum/view ... %23p575307

Regards
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

Nick
Blackwood

Re: Brazilian Rosewood

Post by Nick » Thu May 29, 2014 6:04 am

Finally Americans face the same problem the rest of us have had to face for years! I could never understand how it could never be shipped offshore without paperwork yet could cross land borders without restriction.
It does raise an interesting point about all those BRW instruments currently circulating without paperwork :shock: and then how do you prove it was sourced before it became illegal? Their law makers just opened a whole new can of worms there!
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Thu May 29, 2014 8:25 am

There will probably be exemptions if it is used as a gunstock.

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Thu May 29, 2014 10:17 am

jeffhigh wrote:There will probably be exemptions if it is used as a gunstock.
Sad but probably true Jeff. :(

Steve

peter.coombe
Blackwood

Post by peter.coombe » Thu May 29, 2014 10:50 am

Yes I saw that. Looks like the same rules that apply to Ivory will be applied to BRW. To me it is an admittance that enforcement at the US border has been and is still ineffective. At least here in Australia we like to believe that Aussie Customs are doing their job! What it effectively is going to do is to make all undocumented BRW worthless, while documented BRW will become even more valuable. It is unlikely to save one single BRW tree but will cause a whole heap of problems to innocent people.

Peter
Peter Coombe - mandolin, mandola and guitar maker
http://www.petercoombe.com

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Thu May 29, 2014 11:48 am

Don't take any faith in Australian Customs.

A car I imported a few years ago had three dead rats and the underneath of the car had dozens of wasp nests.

Apparently Aussie customs only does random inspections.

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Thu May 29, 2014 4:52 pm

It has been said that less than 1 in 1000 containers even get opened.
Jeremy D

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Thu May 29, 2014 7:21 pm

If you consider the volumes, especially since off-shore on-line shopping became so popular, I reckon the Aussie Customs crew and AQIS are doing a class job with their numbers verses abbot and Co's penny pinching ways. For that alone they deserve a pat on the back for carrying on without grizzling under such adversity.

Remember your fiber to the home NBN?

How about NDIS?...etc, etc, etc..
abbottsbbPcard.jpg
abbottsbbPcard.jpg (50.2 KiB) Viewed 14573 times
Cheers

Kim

peter.coombe
Blackwood

Post by peter.coombe » Fri May 30, 2014 9:24 am

Dead rats, wasps etc are the responsibility of AQIS, not Customs. CITES enforcement I believe is Customs' responsibility.

Looks like I may have been misunderstood. I also don't have a lot of faith that Aussie Customs are catching each and every illegal import, but there are not many of us who would be willing to risk importing BRW into Australia with no import permit and no CITES documentation. In fact I suspect the actual illegal imports of BRW would be miniscule and not worth the trouble of implementing the sort of crazy thing they are doing in the USA. Without an army of police how could you possibly police sales of old pianos or guitars less than 100yo that contain CITES Appendix 1 species? What about furniture, trophies, nick knacks etc etc, the list goes on and on. All now worthless because there is no paper trail and the original owners are more than likely dead. The rules state there can be no change of ownership in order to be legal! All that and not one single Elephant or BRW tree is likely to be saved.
Peter Coombe - mandolin, mandola and guitar maker
http://www.petercoombe.com

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Fri May 30, 2014 1:35 pm

peter.coombe wrote:All that and not one single Elephant or BRW tree is likely to be saved.
Sums it all up in one brief sentence there Peter & that's the sad part, Elephants will still be poached and BRW still felled by the unscrupulous.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Fri May 30, 2014 2:48 pm

And here's me with a massive Campaign chest that stands 5 feet tall made from solid BRW. I guess it's safe in it's current spot holding the table cloths and napkins and god knows what else the better half has stored away in there.

I had half a mind of sawing it up one day. :wink:
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Post by 56nortondomy » Fri May 30, 2014 5:11 pm

Allen wrote:And here's me with a massive Campaign chest that stands 5 feet tall made from solid BRW. I guess it's safe in it's current spot holding the table cloths and napkins and god knows what else the better half has stored away in there.

Watch out woodrat dosen't get to it first Allen.
Wayne

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Sat May 31, 2014 12:58 pm

Allen wrote:And here's me with a massive Campaign chest that stands 5 feet tall made from solid BRW. I guess it's safe in it's current spot holding the table cloths and napkins and god knows what else the better half has stored away in there.

What a novel idea....me thinks I might have a look round for something like that! Thanks Allen! :lol:
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Sat May 31, 2014 12:58 pm

56nortondomy wrote:

Watch out woodrat dosen't get to it first Allen.
Wayne

Who? ... Me? :oops: :D
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Sat May 31, 2014 1:45 pm

I was having a conversation with a family friend who plays guitar and he said he heard through the grapevine of some guy called John in NSW who made really nice guitars. He said his last name started with B but he had a really odd nickname and it was on the tip of his tongue.

Turned out it was the "woodrat"

:lol:

Allen, if you see any shady silhouettes at night holding handsaws, better watch out

slowlearner
Blackwood

Post by slowlearner » Sat May 31, 2014 5:14 pm

The other point worth making is, who actually knows what BRW looks like beyond a small group of experts and enthusiasts. Without cutting/sanding the timber, it's pretty difficult to prove conclusively. All manner of other woods could be mistaken for BRW. Alternatively, BRW could be passed off as IRW for the sake of imports and paperwork.

Like you're all saying, it's not going to stop any trees from being felled.
Pete

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Sat May 31, 2014 8:03 pm

slowlearner wrote: Without cutting/sanding the timber, it's pretty difficult to prove conclusively.
Fluorescence tests get used to distinguish Dalbergia nigra form other dalbergias. A bare spot of wood is all what is needed to perform this kind of test.

Here's an interesting paper about that topic:
Separation of Dalbergia nigra from Dalbergia spruceana, Miller, Regis B.; Wiemann, Michael C., U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory, 2006
slowlearner wrote: Like you're all saying, it's not going to stop any trees from being felled.
I didn't understand that someone said it would not stop any trees from being felled. I am pretty sure that actions of restriction and prohibition slow down reckless logging even if they never will completely stop illegal logging of those trees.

Did you know Dalbergia nigra is "only" listed as "Vulnerable" on the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species opposed to all the tree species listed as "Endangered", of which not a single one is in the CITES I category? I am not 100% sure, but this fact may well be a consequence of CITES protection.

For an overview, here you can download my list of "Scientific and Popular Names of Woods" (five languages + botanic names in Latin), where the levels of endangerment is highlighted in colours (Lower Risk least concern - Lower Risk near threatened - Vulnerable - Endagered - Critically Endagered).
FWIW, my list in .ods format (OpenOffice) is nicer to look at than in .xls format, so don't shy back scrolling down when opening the .xls sheet if you don't have OpenOffice installed.
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.