wood vs celluoid

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

weslewis
Kauri

wood vs celluoid

Post by weslewis » Thu May 22, 2014 10:24 am

I posed this question on the OLF and got some mixed answers...I am working on #17 and have only used wood for bindings, I ordered some celluloid bindings and purflings from China," I love EBAY" and thought I would try them on this project,,, for those that have used both what are your opinions, how do you sand and finish celluloid ?? :dru

demonx
Blackwood

Re: wood vs celluoid

Post by demonx » Thu May 22, 2014 10:29 am

I use mostly timber binding, but on the times I have used plastic I've not had any issues.

One thing I have noticed though is with the weld-on glue I use, its a case of more is more rather than the old less is more.

I try avoid it during the sanding stages and during paint prep I scrape it with a razor blade.

I paint as usual and it has always worked out fine.

Not the best pic, but the first one I found quickly, here is some pretty ugly blue that has been razor bladed and sprayed with 2k clear

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Thu May 22, 2014 11:22 pm

Like Alan, I've tried it a couple times. Here's one-a very long project-but you get the idea. Sand and scrape just like timber, I do....
Attachments
image.jpg
I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am....

Cheers,
Nick

https://www.facebook.com/pages/DMI-hand ... 744?ref=hl

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Fri May 23, 2014 6:29 am

I've probably used both in equal amounts as most of my bound electrics used plastic or celluloid and my acoustics use wood. Plastic bindings are generally easier to apply being easier to bend and shape especially in tight bends! You can also close up any small gaps easier than wood by judicious use of a localized heat gun and a bit of pressure. Plastic may also offer slightly more protection to a corner/edge. Wooden bindings look better/classier and if they do get dinged are easier to attempt a repair on.
Plastics need to be scraped (after the glue has been allowed to fully dry and harden) if you want anywhere near a decent finish on them. Sandpaper can pick up sawdust from the surrounding wood and deposit it in the scratches it leaves in the plastic, leaving the plastic discoloured or scraggy looking once a clear coat goes on.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.