First build - split in back due to humidity :-(

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: First build - split in back due to humidity :-(

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:39 pm

Rounding the soundhole has a practical reasoning to it.......easier on your knuckles when reaching in to tweak the truss rod or work on the neck bolts.
Martin

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:56 pm

Mark
That came out looking great. I am close to finishing my sassafras one that suffered a similar problem. I put it aside for a couple of years and resurrected it just recently. I hope it looks as good as yours once I get some finish onto it. The dark neck really goes well with it - I will have to remember that for a future design.

I hadn't noticed anything wrong with the soundhole, but I agree that a rounded-off edge usually looks good. I like your nice simple end to the fingerboard also. Overall, a very nice aesthetic going on. If it sounds good too then there is plenty of reason to celebrate. I predict that you will be getting into #2 pretty soon and then serious TAS (tool acquisition syndrome) might set in. Cheers
Mark M

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:57 pm

Glad the fix held up well. :)
mhunte12 wrote:I was quite surprised how much the tone developed in the first few hours of playing (it's getting better and better)
Sure. Never tie yourself up on the next tree if a guitar doesn't sound right 30 minutes after having strung it up.
kiwigeo wrote:Rounding the soundhole has a practical reasoning to it.......easier on your knuckles when reaching in to tweak the truss rod or work on the neck bolts.
I'd like to point out one practical reason more: not rounded edges get nicked much more easily.
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:54 pm

Mark McLean wrote: I predict that you will be getting into #2 pretty soon and then serious TAS (tool acquisition syndrome) might set in. Cheers
Mark M
TAS might set in??? TAS _WILL_ set in!! :mrgreen:
Martin

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:17 pm

I have a humidity question. I live in the mountains, the winter RH is 85%++. I have my low RH storage area under a workbench in a cupboard that keeps getting smaller as I try to get below 50%RH. I have a Delonghi cf8 dehumidifier in there as well as a 100 watt lamp or two, but don't seem to be able to get below the 50%. In the summer when ambient RH can get as low as 40% here, averages 55%, the system was fine. So I am open to suggestions...My question is this. Due to outrageous power bills to run this system, I am wondering, if I put another heater in the cupboard and run it on a needs basis until the RH is 40-45% prior to bracing and assembly, HOW LONG SHOULD I HOLD THE TIMBER PARTS AT THE CORRECT RH FOR? A DAY, A WEEK, A FEW HOURS?
Also, how long after bracing using HHG can I remove the soundboard from the go bar deck and return it to the cupboard, given that the go bar deck won't physically fit in there. I need to take the soundboards and braces straight out of the cupboard at 40% then brace them on the go bar deck in the room at 85% then get them back into the low RH cupboard as soon as possible. Is this asking for trouble?
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:30 pm

I just checked the Delonghi humidifier spec...it has a 50%,60% and70% setting. Perhaps the thing won't go below 50%? Does any one have any experience with this machine? Can anybody recommend a better system?
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:58 pm

Alex,

Let's have some info on your workshop. Any options for bumping up the insulation in same? I insulated my workshop with R3.0 batts in the walls and ceiling. I used to run a small dehumidifier around the clock but I discovered that the shop stayed pretty stable humidity wise during the summer without the dehumidifier running and during the winter I can get the humidity steady at 45-50% with a small heater running on low.
Martin

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:19 pm

I'll try working on the insulation, at least for the underbench cupboard...Mean daytime temp 12-14degrees, overnight -2!!!Humidity 85-90% this time of year. The shed is bessa block but a bit draughty....-Cheers! Roscoe