What glue bonds best to Titebond?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Craig Bumgarner
Blackwood

What glue bonds best to Titebond?

Post by Craig Bumgarner » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:36 pm

Anyone still awake in Oz? What glue bonds best to Titebond I? That is a joint previously glued with Titebond. Need to reglue a binding gap in the next 30 minutes. No pressure! I've used Titebond for this in the past but I gather now this is not such a good idea. CA? Write a search parameter on this seems next to impossible, I just get lots of ads for Titebond.
Craig Bumgarner

Bumgarner Guitar Blog

demonx
Blackwood

Re: What glue bonds best to Titebond?

Post by demonx » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:06 pm

Plastic or timber binding?

I use weld-on for all plastic binding and I use titebond or F9 (yellow) glue for timber binding

If you're re gluing binding, I'd clean/scrape the joint and binding surface to be glued and glue as normal

Craig Bumgarner
Blackwood

Post by Craig Bumgarner » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:23 pm

Thanks for the reply. Timber, but not removed, just a thin gap about an inch long, so cleaning the joint well was not possible. I ended up using a very thin knife blade to do what I could, warmed it up enough to be flexible, filled the gap with thin CA and clamped and let set for an hour. Seems to be holding okay.
Craig Bumgarner

Bumgarner Guitar Blog

WaddyT
Blackwood

Post by WaddyT » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:28 am

Usually you can heat Titebond and re-clamp, and it will re-stick, when you have a gap like that. As I recall, it is an "Only one time option" because after it's been heated once it won't work a second time. The same is true of LMI white. I have done it often to close small gaps in binding. What you did will probably be fine too.
Waddy

Build Albums 12 done - 1 in process

Clip for #1 Barrios' "Una Limosna por el Amor de Dios" - Not me playing

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:53 am

Past being useful this time round, but...

Just iron it closed.

Wet, folded paper towel, place over the gap, hot clothes iron (travel size irons work well), heat until the binding goes soft (when the glue will also be soft), clamp or tape.

I've not had the "one time only" problem. That might happen if you bake all the moisture out.

A CA repair will often show as a dark line, with maybe a grey line from the residual Titebond. However, done well, only you will be able to find it.

Craig Bumgarner
Blackwood

Post by Craig Bumgarner » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:26 am

Ha, ha, that's funny as that is what I've done in the past, heat it up and reclamp it. I subsequently read how that "doesn't work" and believed it instead of trusting my own experience. Lesson learned.....again 8) Thanks for all the ideas.
Craig Bumgarner

Bumgarner Guitar Blog

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:20 pm

My weapon of choice is a photographer's sealing iron.....alot of model supply shops sell them.
Martin