CSIRO - Australian Timber - Luthier Survey

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Bob Connor
Admin

CSIRO - Australian Timber - Luthier Survey

Post by Bob Connor » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:49 pm

Attention all Makers of Stringed Instruments!

Andrew Morrow of CSIRO in Melb is currently working on a Funded Project with Maton Guitars to manufacture & test Australian Timbers in the use of making Guitars.

Maton are being used from the manufacturing stand point of consistent (CNC Machine) manufacture of 30+ guitars with different soundboards.

These guitars will be tested and reports collated for this Project.

Below is the email I have received on behalf of Andrew Morrow to share with you folk here on the Forum!

It is a survey that he would like you to complete (as luthiers of all levels) so he can collate the data for this part of this project. (Not just guitars)

(The Survey is attached to this Post - Please print out, complete the form and mail to Andrew Morrow by 31st October 2007)

Here is the email from Andrew Morrow CSIRO:

Luthiers survey

My name is Andrew Morrow and I work for Ensis (formerly C.S.I.R.O Forestry & Forest Products) and am currently running a project looking at the use of Australian timbers in stringed musical instruments. A component of the project is to quantify the current use of native timbers in terms of species, quantities, product quality criteria and the potential for futher utilisation of this amazing resource.
I am hoping to use the feedback from instrument makers at whatever level to put together a snapshot of current usage and enable us to focus on species for evaluation in the laboratory tests in the second part of this project.

This will give all working & aspiring luthiers an insight into whats available, what others are doing and link these views to processors to ensure the right decisions are made in the sawmill.Some incredible innovations are happening out there both in the choice of materials and in different engineeering approaches to luthiery. I hope to capture this and much more during this project which has taken on a life of its own and grown into something much bigger than originally intended.

The project is a “Gottstein fellowshipâ€