Thinking of diversifying a bit.

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

rocket
Blackwood

Thinking of diversifying a bit.

Post by rocket » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:40 pm

IMG_2340.JPG
IMG_2340.JPG (52.14 KiB) Viewed 7837 times
IMG_2339.JPG
IMG_2339.JPG (63.14 KiB) Viewed 7837 times
IMG_2338.JPG
IMG_2338.JPG (85.71 KiB) Viewed 7837 times
Yeah well i thought it was time to try something a little different but not too different, but even then just deviating from the norm just a tad can cause a bit of a headache.
I decided to make a slightly smaller archtop, 16" lower bout and use an oval sound hole instead of the "F" holes, so i set about making a pattern to work from, now in the past i've used parallel and X bracing in my archtops but it seemed a no brainer that this time X bracing would be the only option, anyway long story short, i go to bed one night and pick up my favourite eye candy book" Hand Made Hand Played " and notice in the specs of a Benedetto build ,,, archtop with oval sound hole,"" parallel bracing""WTF??? all i can say is his bracing layout has deviated a long way from his plans for an "F" hole build, i think i'll stick to my X bracing plan,, any ideas??
Cheers,,
Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Re: Thinking of diversifying a bit.

Post by Tod Gilding » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:03 pm

rocket wrote: any ideas??
Cheers,,
Rod.
Yeah Rod, What do think about falcate braced ?
Last edited by kiwigeo on Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed refs to photos in Rockets OP
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

Dave Stewart
Wandoo

Post by Dave Stewart » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:16 am

Go for it Rod!
I did one a couple of years ago.... used a wide open X (about 86 degrees... close to your dwg. by the look of it) and added a transverse brace under the pickup.
Attachments
1102 fr body-full bk.jpg
1102 fr body-full bk.jpg (129.2 KiB) Viewed 7770 times
Dave
Milton, On. Canada

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:48 am

Well Tod I'm not totally familiar with falcate bracing but i believe it's mainly designed for use on steel strong flat tops and not suitable for a carved archtop.The main thing that puzzles me is how Bob has used parallel braces in the example I've shown and got it in the position he recommend in his book, let alone anywhere near the bridge posts.
Dave, magnificent looking guitar, well done mate. :cl how did it sound compared to a similar build with'F'holes?
Cheers.
Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:15 am

He may of made his braces more parallel than 'conventional' Rod? It amazes me how Bob braces sometimes, his Toredo infested top was still braced but how he managed to fit them between all them bleedin great holes amazed me!
I would have thought that the X braced would suit a "round" soundhole better with it's more mellower sound profile.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Dave Stewart
Wandoo

Post by Dave Stewart » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:35 am

Thanks Rod. Yeah, you have to fiddle a bit (including soundhole placement) to hit all your marks. I expect Bob altered plate thicknessing down the center to allow for nonstandard placement of parallel bracing.
The guitar sounds nice ... very rich & full ... less of a mid-range bias than an f-hole body, all else being equal. (One contributing factor is the inevitable lowering of the main air resonance using this soundhole configuration vs f-holes .... about 110Hz on this one vs the more typical 130+ range.)
I also put in a capped soundport, which is nice for the player.
Attachments
1102 laying cap in plus detail.jpg
Dave
Milton, On. Canada

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:14 am

Rod, I think you had to have a stronger reason to go with parallel bracing on an oval soundhole archtop, than just having seen that some wrote (a printing error?) that Benedetto made one like this.... I mean, there may be a good reason to try it, but without your specific vision about what it should do behind it, it would not make much sense I'd say. At least to me who has no great idea of archtops, alone the geometrical issues involved by placing parallel bracing in a oval-soundhole archie seem to be pretty awkward. In any case, if that parallel braced oval soundhole Benedetto guitar really exists, it would be interesting to know (not deduce) Benedetto's reasoning for having it done. If there is no first-hand information about it you might consider to contact him.
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.