ukulele - Crack in Sound Board

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

mickeyj4j
Blackwood

ukulele - Crack in Sound Board

Post by mickeyj4j » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:25 pm

I have a Greg Bennet Samick Baritone ukulele. it has a crack in the sound board. i originally thought it was a crack in the finish but over time it has gotten longer and i noticed now the the top part the sound board is now above the bottom part so i know its not just cracking. if i had only thought to take it in sooner it may have been an easy fix.

Here are several picks of the crack.
P3020254.JPG
P3020257.JPG
its the black line you can see on the sound board.

I did buy this to use as a cheep knock around guitar and it was not terribly expensive but to be able to fix this would be great. would it be possible for me to fix or should i leave it to a professional. This ukulele only cost me $150 NZD. (roughly $125 USD) so if i was to take it in would it be worth fixing.

1. I have read that to fix this i will need to humidify the crack somehow, and got some ideas on that, without the need for an expensive humidifier.
2. then to use hide glue as the best glue for the job. I have looked around for this but none of the hardware stores sell it. I live in Auckland, New Zealand. would anyone happen to know where i can get it. again i will need to get an expensive heating pot for it too. dont really need a lot. is there any other glue i could use for the job.
3. get some thin thin hobby ply which will be birch or poplar.from a model/hobby shop about 2cm or so max thickness.

this is just for a self fix because it is simple and it will cost to much to get fixed by a professional.
any ideas, tips and tricks you have would be appreciated. this is a great community here and i know there is a solution out there.
Just a simple musician who plays for fun and enjoymet here.

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: ukulele - Crack in Sound Board

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:54 pm

I've edited your post so pics are now displayed.

For hide glue you can try Carbatec: http://www.carbatec.co.nz/pearl-hide-glue_c11773
A fancy glue pot isn't necessary. I heat up my glue in a yoghurt pottle sitting in a cheap a baby bottle warmer. Use a thermometer in the glue to keep a check on temperature of same.
IMO your repair job should include gluing in a few cleats on the underside of the soundboard to stop the crack re-opening or getting worse.

Others in here who have more experience with crack repair will no doubt chime in.
Martin

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:59 pm

It's no great drama mate, just introduce yourself before Marty comes along, let us know who you are, and I am sure you will get some great advice :

oops Marty beat me :D and didn't ask for the intro well there you go
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:09 pm

Tod Gilding wrote:It's no great drama mate, just introduce yourself before Marty comes along, let us know who you are, and I am sure you will get some great advice :

oops Marty beat me :D and didn't ask for the intro well there you go
Thanks Tod... :mrgreen:
Martin

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:30 am

Simple repair.

As mentioned, you will need to put a couple of cleats in from behind, just make sure you orientate the grain direction correctly for strength

As far as the tops concerned, its a grain line crack, so it will come together nicely, dependant on how dirty it is and what glue you use will in turn determine the end result being visible / invisible / or just plain yuck
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:43 am

simso wrote:Simple repair.

As mentioned, you will need to put a couple of cleats in from behind, just make sure you orientate the grain direction correctly for strength

As far as the tops concerned, its a grain line crack, so it will come together nicely, dependant on how dirty it is and what glue you use will in turn determine the end result being visible / invisible / or just plain yuck
The Pearl hide glue supplied by Carbatec isnt the highest quality product. Unfortunately the high strength high quality glue I used to get in from the US is now on AQIS's list of prohibited products.
Martin

mickeyj4j
Blackwood

Post by mickeyj4j » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:34 am

one thing i want to know is how come i can't edit my own posts, i can edit this comment only. other forums which I have been to that use this same engine, the user who creates the post can edit it as well.

thanks for the help there. in editing the post. though. and such. where is the best place to introduce myself around this place.

the basics is i am just a simple humble musician, who plays, guitar, ukulele, basic keyboard, and recently just darted playing bass. and a few other instruments along the way.

I live in NZ and am getting into my own creating music using Garageband.

i won't go into to much more detail. until i know if there is a beet place to introduce myself.

also what about fish glue that i have seen mentioned here.

mickeyj4j
Blackwood

Post by mickeyj4j » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:41 am

kiwigeo wrote:I've edited your post so pics are now displayed.

For hide glue you can try Carbatec: http://www.carbatec.co.nz/pearl-hide-glue_c11773
A fancy glue pot isn't necessary. I heat up my glue in a yoghurt pottle sitting in a cheap a baby bottle warmer. Use a thermometer in the glue to keep a check on temperature of same.
IMO your repair job should include gluing in a few cleats on the underside of the soundboard to stop the crack re-opening or getting worse.

Others in here who have more experience with crack repair will no doubt chime in.
nice a baby bottle warmer and a plastic container to put the glue in. ok and what type of thermometer would be best for this situation.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:06 pm

From a fellow Kiwi (in Christchurch), Welcome to the forum Mickey. The ability to edit your own posts was removed a while ago after it was abused by certain people. You'll find we are a lot more relaxed and a lot less rule free around here than other forums so swearing (being mindful that youngun's could be reading) is even allowed! But the edit thing was being abused so Bob (the forum's benevolent owner) removed the ability to do so after a five minute period of you posting the original post. It can be a pain at times but you get used to it and it is just the way it is. Moderators still have editing rights but then they may need to remove (or add :wink: ) objectionable material.
Right here in the General forum is the place to do intro's so you're in the right spot.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:43 pm

mickeyj4j wrote:
nice a baby bottle warmer and a plastic container to put the glue in. ok and what type of thermometer would be best for this situation.
I use a meat thermometer.....but anything that you can sit in the container of glue and will read up to at least 80degC will do.
2238-06_1.jpg
2238-06_1.jpg (17.66 KiB) Viewed 16854 times
This thermometer won't do the job....
giant rectal thermometer.jpg
giant rectal thermometer.jpg (77.78 KiB) Viewed 16851 times
Martin

lauburu
Blackwood

Post by lauburu » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:07 pm

I use a milk frothing thermometer from the $2 Shop. Costs a bit more than $2 tho' - maybe about $10
Miguel

mickeyj4j
Blackwood

Post by mickeyj4j » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:46 pm

lauburu wrote:I use a milk frothing thermometer from the $2 Shop. Costs a bit more than $2 tho' - maybe about $10
Miguel
cool i thought the $2 shop chain was brought out or went bung. i have not seen that company around for a few years now. I guess any number of the similar cheap shops may have these milk frothing or meat thermometers i could look at. Thanks for the idea.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:46 am

If all you plan on doing is one or two repairs, you don't even need to go to the trouble of a warmer.

Frank Ford at Frets.com describes placing a small cube of previously hydrated hide glue in a cup and popping it in the microwave for 30 seconds or so. It's fine if it gets hotter than 140F as it's just a very short time, and you will be using that little bit of glue, then tossing the rest in the bin.

BTW, if you haven't looked through Franks website, it really is a must go to for info on things you didn't even realise you might need to know.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

mickeyj4j
Blackwood

Post by mickeyj4j » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:03 pm

Sad to say I put it in its case and forgot about it, now the crack has gone from one end of the top to the other. I still have this Ukulele is it still worth trying to repair it. Would it be different process now its so much bigger. every time i get the ukulele out i think man this would still be fixable. then it goes back in the case. I know if I took it in it would cost more than the actual uke is worth.

Maybe its time to salvage the head, neck, bridge and saddle, and find a suitable cigar box (not sure where to get them these days) of similar size to the original body and make my own uke.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:12 pm

Don't know where you're located, so I'm presuming it might be a humidity related crack, being that it's either summer and very hot and dry in many parts of Australia, or very cold and dry in parts of the world with snow and central heating.

Same sort of repair in either case. The instrument would need to be brought into a bit more humid environment. Hot hide glue is still the best option for the crack. Some repair cleats placed over the crack on the inside of the soundboard reinforcing the crack.

Afterwards, keep the instrument in a more stable environment. Not allowing it to dry out too much.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia