The Chamber of Death!

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

woodrat
Blackwood

The Chamber of Death!

Post by woodrat » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:04 pm

Here is a great demonstration of how low humidity can spell death for a guitar....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eusLzn9ZhCE

John
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

Kev3
Blackwood

Re: The Chamber of Death!

Post by Kev3 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:02 am

A weekend in my shed at the moment would fix that !
:lol:
Attachments
rather-high-%.jpg
Kevin

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:23 am

My shed is like Kev's shed! No guitar building will be happening here for a few weeks except Kev and I may have a competition to see who can achieve the highest RH reading :( We are having some much need rain for the catchment though :)

Cheers

Alan
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:25 pm

Hi Alan and Kev....we could use some of that moisture down here....all the lawns are crispy dry and the dams are very low....I hope some of that monsoon weather gets down south....

Cheers

John
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:39 pm

Its that bloody dry here the weeds are struggling to survive :( Its a scalloped top guitar John.

Steve

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:16 pm

That video surprised me John. :shock: If that is what can happen at 7% with wind after ..What 7 day's ? then we have no problems here, I can't remember more than a few hours under 50% for years on the mid nth coast our problems seem to be the reverse :)

Thanks for sharing
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:52 pm

It's crazy here. We had 50mm rain over the weekend, and so I set up he dehumidifier but did not get a chance to use it, as by Tuesday I was spraying as it was down to 50% MC. Two weeks before that I was adding moisture to the shop. :?
Taff

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:15 pm

Hey Kev, You Don't leave anything to chance do you . :lol: I haven't seen that many hygrometers in one place ever :lol:
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:33 pm

90 percent humidity, what the heck,

Have you got leaks in your roof and the heater going :shock:
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:54 pm

Steve, those of us that live close to the pacific ocean ( I'm about 200 -300 mtrs ) we live with high humidity constantly where I live @ South West Rocks I Have The Pacific Ocean 300m to the East also 200 m to the north and the Macleay river (where it meets the pacific ocean) 400 mtrs north I have no hope :)
Tod

John Lennon

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:41 pm

Hey Tod, I know exactly where south west rocks is, my first few years after leaving home (over 20 yrs ago actually closer to 30) I lived at Nambucca Heads 8)

Surprising your humidity levels, but understandable.

I lived in the Northern Territory for a few years as well (Katherine), you've got almost there type of weather, completely useless, and mould grows over everything
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

Kev3
Blackwood

Post by Kev3 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:54 am

Tod Gilding wrote:Hey Kev, You Don't leave anything to chance do you . :lol: I haven't seen that many hygrometers in one place ever :lol:
:lol:

nope ! if somethings worth doin' - it's worth doin' obsessively ! :lmao
Attachments
compare-hygro.jpg
Kevin

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:57 am

Hi Kev, you got all the gear to tell you what the weathers like, but how do you control it. :lol:
I look out the window, fine day [its dryish], if I'm sweating its humid. Only joking, I've only got four of those gizmo's.
Taff

Kev3
Blackwood

Post by Kev3 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:07 pm

Thats the problem Taffy - I can't control it - I just have this strong desire to torture myself watching nature laugh at me :lol:

Seriously - not that paranoid, half of those belong to Alan the ozziebluesman plus the psychrometer and data logger I borrowed from an air-con systems guy. I got a bit carried away with trying to see how accurately I could calibrate these things and chart systematic changes between them.
Kevin

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:29 pm

An instrument taking on moisture [within reason] is less damaging. I was in Alice Springs NT for 30 years an declined a couple of commissions from Sydney and the like as I thought my guitars would suffer in their environment. Often the meter would not register as the moisture content was so low. When I had the same opportunity from people in Katherine and Darwin, and could monitor any changes through them I started sending instruments to these more humid environments.

I had no comebacks of a structural nature and only one comment that a Martin undersaddle piezo pickup would not work up there, I traced that to the fact that slight swelling of the bridge pinched the saddle too tight and caused a bad contact. I eased the fit of the saddle no problems.

There was a major moisture problem with the guitar in Katherine. During a flood the owner put the guitar in its case on top of the wardrobe, but the water got that high and the guitar was floating. Even though the back and top had separated from the rims the owner wanted it repaired, so I said I would and it was sent to Charters Towers. that was a big job.
Taff

Kev3
Blackwood

Post by Kev3 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:38 pm

Taffy Evans wrote:There was a major moisture problem with the guitar in Katherine. During a flood the owner put the guitar in its case on top of the wardrobe, but the water got that high and the guitar was floating. Even though the back and top had separated from the rims the owner wanted it repaired, so I said I would and it was sent to Charters Towers. that was a big job.
well - now I've got stupidly high RH - maybe I should aim for an underwater guitar build ! Or perhaps one purely for use in the sauna :lol:
Kevin

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:47 am

I've hit 98% a few times this year in my shed. And when that's in the high 30's it's mighty uncomfortable.

My dry room has a new dehumidifier running 24/7 and keeps it just perfect. Had to plumb it in permanently as I was getting tired of having to empty the reservoir out twice a day.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:55 am

Kevin, I hope you have not glued up your wooden hygrometer strip with fish glue, or it may "de-calibrate". :lol:

BTW, you have a nice hobby... collecting hygrometers. :)
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.