Finally finished my first OM

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

EricDownunder
Blackwood

Finally finished my first OM

Post by EricDownunder » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:52 pm

The christmas break allowed me to finally finished my first OM, it is only a shed guitar and nothing exceptional.

Specs.
NG Rosewood back and sides with jelly and ebony bindings
Figi Mahogany-Jelly-Ebony neck
Birds Eye Hoop Pine top with Huon burl and ebony
Fingerboard and bridge are Ebony

It actually sounds pretty good, possibly a little to much sustain, I will give it a final finish in a couple of months after the nitro has shrunk a bit.

Also a couple of pics of a chambered electric made out of an old cedar door, a pallet and all sorts of left over bits.
Attachments
DSCN0326.JPG
DSCN0326.JPG (128.52 KiB) Viewed 9758 times
DSCN0325.JPG
DSCN0325.JPG (127.34 KiB) Viewed 9758 times
DSCN0324.JPG
DSCN0324.JPG (126.56 KiB) Viewed 9758 times
DSCN0323.JPG
DSCN0323.JPG (128.55 KiB) Viewed 9758 times
DSCN0322.JPG
DSCN0322.JPG (128.66 KiB) Viewed 9758 times
DSCN0321.JPG
DSCN0321.JPG (202.03 KiB) Viewed 9758 times
DSCN0321.JPG
DSCN0321.JPG (202.03 KiB) Viewed 9758 times
DSCN0320.JPG
DSCN0320.JPG (129.05 KiB) Viewed 9758 times
DSCN0319.JPG
DSCN0319.JPG (128.37 KiB) Viewed 9758 times
DSCN0317.JPG
DSCN0317.JPG (186.84 KiB) Viewed 9758 times
DSCN0315.JPG
DSCN0315.JPG (186.43 KiB) Viewed 9758 times
DSCN0327.JPG
DSCN0327.JPG (129.36 KiB) Viewed 9758 times
Keep Smiling,
Eric Smith

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Re: Finally finished my first OM

Post by Tod Gilding » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:55 pm

See What Happens Eric .....You Turn your back for 1 minute and someone puts Nylons on your OM :)

Nice job mate Both of them :cl
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

EricDownunder
Blackwood

Post by EricDownunder » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:47 am

It was very hard to buy a decent set of strings after xmass near me all sold out of the good stuff. I DON"T like the strings on it at the momement, the third string is fatter then the sixth.
Keep Smiling,
Eric Smith

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:59 am

I totally missed this one - I searched for it because you mentioned it elsewhere on the forum :oops: . Very nice and clean work here, and quite a bit of well thought out odd-ness. Simply striking!

The top of the classical guitar is puzzling me: the lower bout seems to be quarter sawn, and the upper bout flat sawn! Looks very unusual, but maybe not everyone's cup of tea (people want straight grained, tight grained, very uniformly grained, thus boring soundboards! :lol: ).
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:44 pm

Hi Eric, I missed this one too. Guitar looks ok to me, especially for a first one. It looks better than my first guitar build, and my first mandolin was a joke.I wouldn't post either on here.
I wouldn't worry about response from the forum (as you mentioned the lack of response my have took some of the enthusiasm away) if you enjoy the building process and get an instrument that gives someone pleasure, and like a challenge, keep at it.
By the way my first guitar was a from plan I made by drawing around a nylon string guitar with steel string bracing and steel strings I still play it today 40 years on.
Taff

Wayde Christie

Post by Wayde Christie » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:40 pm

Hi Eric,

Did you use any of John Bogdanovich's teachings / templates for your classical?

Cheers,

Wayde.

colburge
Blackwood

Post by colburge » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:28 am

Good work mate, blows my first out of the water, that's for sure.

What is Jelly by the way?

Cheers

Col

EricDownunder
Blackwood

Post by EricDownunder » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:20 am

Yes it is a John Bogdanovich's plan & templates I used. Now the nitro has had a few months to shrink back I am going to finish it off. I had a few great musitions give it a try and some believe it is too bright (they used a mike through a PA system to try it out I don't know if that made it sound bright) and others think it is a good midrange tone, the hoop pine top definalely gives a lower bell like tone when you tap it unlike spruce that I find bright in comparison they all commented the vibration felt in the top and back were excelent. The only problem I have is some vibration with the sixth string between the 4th and 13th fret, I flattend and re-radiused the frets checked with a rocker etc all looks OK, there is something in the build that is vibtating in that range, so frustrating.
I will put some more pics up after I finish it.

What it jelly you ask? well it's a commonly used pattern makers timber nothing fantastic but it's real nice to work and has very little movement or shrinkage due to varying temperatures etc. The name jelly is only a nick name the correct name is jelutong ( Dyera costulata ) it's used now as yellow pine, sugar pine honduras mahogany etc are too hard to get and too expensive. I had some lying around left over from some patterns I made some years back, I aslso had some sugar pine but the white ants thought it was nice and sweet.

Thank's guys for your comments and questions I thought it wasn't up to scratch for a while.
Keep Smiling,
Eric Smith