NZ source for CA glue?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Shane Woonton
Blackwood

NZ source for CA glue?

Post by Shane Woonton » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:00 am

Hi guys,

For those of you in NZ - what CA glue do you use (if you use CA glue at all) and where do you source it?

Thanks!

Shane

demonx
Blackwood

Re: NZ source for CA glue?

Post by demonx » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:12 am

If you walk into a place and ask for cyanoacrylate glue chances are you'll get a blank stare, if you ask for superglue they'll know what you're on about instantly. They're the same thing.

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:15 am

Shane, I know you can get it from model kit suppliers/ hobby stores but there's probably a cheaper option that the NZ boys may know of. When a mate went and bought some recently he had to choose from different viscosities so just be careful you don't end up accidently picking up the wrong one for your application (THIN, MEDIUM, THICK)

Here's one in Albany and one in Mount Wellington:

http://www.hobbycity.co.nz/shop/Constru ... age/2.html

Good Luck!

Stu

Shane Woonton
Blackwood

Post by Shane Woonton » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:00 pm

Thanks Stu and Allen. Its the cheaper options I'm looking for. There is very limited available at hobby stores, typically only in tiny amounts and the price is high! Hoping to find a reliable source that sells in larger quantities and has a range (thin, med, thick) to choose from.

Cheers,

Shane

Shane Woonton
Blackwood

Post by Shane Woonton » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:05 pm

Hi Stu,

Should have checked your link more carefully before responding. Have found that website before but must have missed "page 2" of the glue section. :? (Would still like to hear from any NZ builders who can recommend a reliable source from their own experience).

So, let me change the question up a little - for those of you who use CA glue in the build process, where do you use it and what type do you use in each application?

Cheers,

Shane

Eric Scheper
Wandoo

Post by Eric Scheper » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:30 pm

I just use Selley's Quick Fix liquid and gel from bunnings but these are still just the little tubes. I think Carbatec has some bigger ones called Hot Stuff in three viscosities and larger sizes but never tried it. All I use it for is filling small gaps, inlays, fretwire ... I think that's about it.

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:08 pm

No worries Shane didn't realise how large a quantity you were after

Good Luck

Stu

tim mullin

Post by tim mullin » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:17 pm

Yes, Carbatec NZ carries the Hot stuff line. Their super thin is the red label and I've never seen a hardware store with anything equivalent. Super thin is pretty much all I use.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:59 pm

I use the Shelly's brand in the little tubes from Bunnings over other types. Cheap as chips at $2 per 2 pack. Might even be cheaper in New Zealand.

I don't use a lot of it, so the small tubes work out great. Whenever I've bought a large bottle, they always go off before I get anywhere near 1/2 way through them.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:53 am

Allen wrote: I don't use a lot of it, so the small tubes work out great. Whenever I've bought a large bottle, they always go off before I get anywhere near 1/2 way through them.
If you have a jar or container the right size ( that has a sealing lid), just pop two or three of those Silica Gel packs in (usually get them with appliance purchases and the like) with the glue, it'll stay liquid for ages. It's the moisture in the air that makes them cure so the Silica absorbs it instead of the glue.
But buying in small tubes is another way around it :wink:
Shane, I can recommend the hot stuff, I usually use it in repairs mostly. I think Stewmacs Dan Erlewine has a few vids up on using CA for various repairs and some excellent ones for finish repairs using CA.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Shane Woonton
Blackwood

Post by Shane Woonton » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:28 pm

Thanks Nick.

Shane

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:26 am

I buy the little bottles when they appear in the "$2.00 shops". Last time I bought about 20 of them and keep it in my bar fridge, which is actually under the bench. It does not seem to be a regular stocked item so I have to continually keep lookout for it. With the bottles I can see the condition and volume in the bottle, with tubes I have often found dried up contents.
Taff

Pick
Kiwi

Post by Pick » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:45 am

I get mine from Hong Kong - I also have an interest in model aircraft, so I purchase other stuff too. But it is very cheap, I always buy the cheapest, especially if you get a few bottles at a time, the freight is not bad. Who knows, you might even be inspired to get into models as well!
www.hobbyking.com Go to Hardware and Accesspries / glue and threadlock.
Bruce

Kev3
Blackwood

Post by Kev3 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:10 pm

Taffy Evans wrote:I buy the little bottles when they appear in the "$2.00 shops". Last time I bought about 20 of them and keep it in my bar fridge, which is actually under the bench.
Read a lot about correct bench heights and ergonomics ......... but I bow to the wisdom of Taffy. Next bench I build must be high enough to house the bar fridge :lol:
Kevin

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:36 am

Hi Kevin, I have benches at different heights for different tasks and rarely work sitting down. My main repair bench is ideal for the bar fridge. :dri
Taff