Woodmaster CT Saw Blade

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Bob Connor
Admin

Woodmaster CT Saw Blade

Post by Bob Connor » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:20 pm

The new Lenox Woodmaster CT band saw blade (1 inch) arrived about a week ago and I have to say it's unbelievably good.

It's a 1.3 TPI blade but leaves a finish like a baby's bum and the set on the blade is not too great so the kerf is fairly narrow. Three or four passes through the drum sander and they're done.

Started with some Myrtle back and side sets.

I was about 6 inches into the first cut before I realised I'd started.

Myrtle isn't too difficult to cut so the acid test was how it would go on Blackwood which is notoriously difficult due to the long fibres that clog the gullets.

A dozen sets later and the blade is still sharp and cutting as straight as a die.

We cut most of these sets at around 4.5mm but once you've got the drift dialled in I'd have no worries at cutting at around 3mm to increase yield.

This is one good blade that I'd have no hesitation in recommending.

It only comes in one or two inch and is not really suitable for anything under a 16" bandsaw.

Bob

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:09 am

Thanks for the heads up Bob, gonna get me one of them CT Woodmasters.

If anyone is wondering why these tungsten carbide tipped blades are not recommended for 16" and under saws, and I would expect even 16" a bit under and would prefer 18", it is because the tighter radius that the band must follow when running on these smaller wheels causes metal fatigue and premature band failure.

This means that you will not get full use from the tungsten tips because the band will be continually snapping as a result of that fatigue long before the teeth can ever be ground away through re-sharpening. Another point, the longer the blade, the more time it has to dissipate heat before it re-enters the wood, therefore heat build up is not such an issue on larger saws and, as the wheels are larger and heavier, the increased momentum or torque will generally allow a much slower blade speed which also helps fight heat build up.

Cheers

Kim

ZOOTMAN
ANZLF Approved Supplier

Post by ZOOTMAN » Thu May 01, 2008 4:54 pm

Bob I've been using this blade for about 6 months now and it sure is a fine blade. Also found a company in California that sharpens them for $38
I'll be putting it to the test cutting some split sitka billets soon. Always a tough job. I'll post the results.

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Fri May 02, 2008 6:24 pm

I cut a billet of King Billy with it today. Absolutely super. No wander amd cut like butter.

Bob

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Woodmaster CT Saw Blade

Post by kiwigeo » Sat May 03, 2008 8:58 am

Bob,

What make and model of bandsaw are you running?

Cheers Martin

bob wrote:The new Lenox Woodmaster CT band saw blade (1 inch) arrived about a week ago and I have to say it's unbelievably good.

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Sat May 03, 2008 9:36 am

It's a Jet JWBS18X 18" Martin.

We bought it about a month ago specifically for re-sawing and we're very happy with it.

Paul Burns has one the same and Tim has an earlier model of it.

Here's a link to the specs

Jet Bandsaw

Bob