Cases

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

PeterG
Wandoo

Cases

Post by PeterG » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:55 pm

Hi Guys

I've been a keen follower of the forum for quite some time but until now have not posted.

I've been making a SJ sized guitar for a few years but now cannot find a source of good cases to suit. Lower bout is 380mm depth is 120mm, can anyone offer advise please.

I've included a few pics below of what I've been up to.

Cheers

Peter
Attachments
_DSC0073S.jpg
_DSC0073S.jpg (232.7 KiB) Viewed 19785 times
_DSC0083S.jpg
_DSC0083S.jpg (283.36 KiB) Viewed 19785 times
Image 2.jpg
Image 3.jpg
Image 4.jpg
Image 5.jpg
Image 6.jpg
Image 7.jpg
Image 8.jpg

scram
Gidgee

Re: Cases

Post by scram » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:06 pm

Hi Peter

Nice looking guitar,i hav'ent posted here before but you could try cedarcreekcases.com

peter.coombe
Blackwood

Post by peter.coombe » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:32 pm

IMHO Presto make the best cases period. Not cheap though. They are moulded fiberglass, strong as a ox and are hand made in Perth. Cedar Creek come second. These are very nice plywood cases, made in the USA. Both will make custom cases if you send them the measurements, but both have a fairly long waiting period so you need to plan at least 3 months ahead. Presto is a bit more limited in how much they can customise because it needs to fit into one of their existing moulds. Usually it works out ok. I use Presto if the customer wants a flight case, or just wants the best case available, otherwise I use Cedar Creek. Very happy with both and have been using Presto for nearly 20 years. My own personal instrument is kept in a Presto case which is probably now around 18 years old. The advantage of fibreglass is you can get it in white and they also offer an insulation option.
Peter Coombe - mandolin, mandola and guitar maker
http://www.petercoombe.com

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:51 pm

+1 on the Cedar Creek cases. Very good company to deal with but yes - a long lead time.

Regards
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:01 pm

Peter G - those are really beautifully presented guitars. You should show us some more of your work please, and some details on the timbers, finish etc.
Nice work!
Mark

ozwood
Blackwood

Post by ozwood » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:11 pm

Nice guitars :cl :cl :cl

Ian at Artist Guitars has a pretty wide selection of cases, pretty good quality for the money he charges in my opinion.

Certainly not in the league of the ones Peter and Bob are talking about , but worth a look if your after something more affordable.

Ian is pretty straight up, has been around for a while , If I order before lunch they arrive the next day .

http://www.artistguitars.com.au/buy/qc4 ... case/10146

Cheers,
Paul .

PeterG
Wandoo

Post by PeterG » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:31 pm

Peter & Bob thanks for the info. Bummer there's nothing easier, I was getting some really great fitting cases through Manny's that came with Eastman guitars but that has dried up. Will look into Cedar Creek. Many thanks

Mark the first 3 shots are Cocobolo with Maple binding, the 4th is Madagascar, 5 & 6 are Ziricote. 7 & 8 are some more Coco from Jerry Hibdon, wish I'd bought a lot more before cites! This as with most have spalted Maple headplate. 9 is Tassie Blackwood and Ebony binding. All are Nitro finished. I'll try to get a few more photo's up tomorrow.

Paul, thanks for the Artist Guitar link. Could be where I'll head.

Cheers Peter

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:53 pm

Nice guitars!

Try them in a Hiscox OOO/OM case. Their spec. says 101 depth, but my 115mm guitars fit nicely and there's a pad on the lid at the butt you could remove that will find you 10mm if you need a bit more room.

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:06 pm

Peter it looks like whatever you have been up to its only been good, and Z cote and B wood are winners once again, very well done, but please don't tell us they are numbers 1 and 2 that's all.

Steve

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:10 pm

Ah oops ,, either I'm going to stop posting late or learn to count, i reckon there are more than 2 axes there.

Steve

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:18 am

Hi Peter, Welcome to the forum....absolutely stunning work there....beautiful craftsmanship, detail and timber choices!

Cheers

John
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:40 am

Luthier discount from Cedar Creek is quite hefty too.

Regards
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

steve roberts
Blackwood

Post by steve roberts » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:17 am

Hi Peter
Welcome to the forum your work is first class look foward to seeing some more
Regards Steve

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:10 pm

G'day Peter there is Chris Dacre in Australia that makes a custom plywood case that I found on Graham Caldersmith's web site but have never contacted him, here is the Link

I have also seen those Presto cases and they look like a top notch flight case, he only has 3 guitar molds though so he uses the mold that is big enough for your guitar and custom lines it to suit your shape, I think your might just miss the classical mold so he may have to put it in the dready case, a classical is about $600.

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

PeterG
Wandoo

Post by PeterG » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:00 pm

Thanks everyone for you kind words re my guitars.

Trevor and Jim thanks for the additional tips, looking into them now.

Steve the Blackwood was number 3, Madagascar number 5, Coco number 7 & 10 and Ziricote number 9.

Cheers

Peter

pat foster
Myrtle

Post by pat foster » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:55 am

Ameritage also has hefty discounts for builders. I was caught in a bind for a case for a proprietary shape, so I removed the side padding, went to the local fabric store, found some matching fabric and some foam. I tapered the thickness of the foam on the bandsaw and glued it in. They have adhesives for fabrics that worked very well. Looks original, fits like a glove. Cost US $10 and took about an hour.

Pat

Patrick Hanna
Wandoo

Post by Patrick Hanna » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:52 am

Those are fabulous guitars. I am glad you are seeking advice on quality cases that will do them justice. Also glad to know that luthier discounts are available from some of these case makers. I'd hazard a guess that all you have to do is include these photos with your inquiries to the case companies. At that point, I expect the case makers would jump on the opportunity to help you.

Patrick