how long does it take to build an acoustic

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

scuffle
Myrtle

how long does it take to build an acoustic

Post by scuffle » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:05 am

Hey guys,

Im thinking of building an acoustic for my brothers birthday but I want to know if I'm going to have enough time to get it finished to a decent quality. I have obviously never built an acoustic but I have finished a few electrics.
I can probably work 8 - 16 hours a week on it.
I don't have any fancy tools (thickness sanders etc.) but a cabinet maker down the road has let me use his on occasion

How long do you think I would need?
All feedback greatly appreciated.
---
Cheers,
Andrew Hobson

woodrat
Blackwood

Re: how long does it take to build an acoustic

Post by woodrat » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:15 am

Hi Scuffle....thats the hardest question in the book....!!! and I wish I had a dollar for every time I was asked it too! I would say that if it is a first time acoustic that you use 200 hours as a minimum lead time for your brothers guitar.....at 16 hours per week that would be at least 13 weeks not including time for lacquer curing if you are going to finish it in nitro.

John
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:20 am

woodrat wrote:Hi Scuffle....thats the hardest question in the book....!!! and I wish I had a dollar for every time I was asked it too! I would say that if it is a first time acoustic that you use 200 hours as a minimum lead time for your brothers guitar.....at 16 hours per week that would be at least 13 weeks not including time for lacquer curing if you are going to finish it in nitro.

John
+1.

My first took about 6 months averaging 8+ hours a week. You can spend a lot of time waiting for tools and supplies you didn't plan for and all sorts of other unknowns. The finish always take me forever as well.
Jeremy D

simonm
Blackwood

Post by simonm » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:40 am

Finish is a significant time consumer If by "finishing some electrics" you mean spraying etc, then I think you might be able to get it done marginally faster than the other have suggested - maybe 150 hours. But it is a maybe. Only a small number of professional one man shops significantly beat 12-15 instruments a year or just over one a month full time. Those who beat that by a margin are essentially running mini-factories.

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:08 am

Hi, and don't forget about impacts of weather conditions, and "shit that happens". I hate building to a target date and try not to.
Taff

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:11 am

Yep my first two builds where weissenborn copies one was a learner, the other my first real serious go at building a guitar. Both turned out good my first stayed with me and the other was sold. Each one took approximately 150 hours using hand tools and a bench sander. I have since added many more hand tools and some small shop tools to my workshop and the last guitar an OM took 80 hours to get to closed box stage. So the more you do it, the more streamlined your methods become.

Don't rush it mate, take the time it needs and you will be much happier.

Cheers

Alan
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

scuffle
Myrtle

Post by scuffle » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:03 am

wow thanks for all the replies guys!

I should clear up that by 'finishing a few electrics' i mean i have built from scratch and completed a few electric builds. sorry for confusion :)

also i would be finishing the acoustic in either mirotone 3220 (10% or 30% gloss) or just oil finish.

does anybody have any experience with the 'aussie tonewood pack' from Thomas Lloyd Guitars?
http://www.thomaslloydguitars.com.au/products.html
i think this would be a good start point for a first time acoustic builder yes?
---
Cheers,
Andrew Hobson

martintaylor
Blackwood

Post by martintaylor » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:23 am

I can recommend the Thomas Lloyd pack. I've used a couple of them and Chris Wynne always picks lovely sets. Just remember you need to get your own machine heads. I did the course at Thomas Lloyd a couple of years ago and it is an intense 2 weeks. You get the guitar built in a total of about 100 hours. He uses a Danish Oil finished with wax. It gives a lovely satin finish and it is quick. It is what I use on my guitars.

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:36 am

Hi Scuffle,

Ten years ago I knew buggar all about wood and although having spent two years researching guitar building on the internet was a absolute beginner. As I said before I built two guitar one was a learner using some sassafrass that was given to me and the other guitar I used some beautiful Blackwood that I purchased for Australian Tonewoods Tim Spittle our preferred tonewood vendor. The experience was so positive with Tim. He helped me with my rosette ring and bent it for me into a mould as I had no idea what to do. May I add that Tim is also a builder himself and knows what goes on during the process of building a guitar. Tim also has acoustic guitar flat packs available for sale.

Like you I built a few electrics first to get the feel of making instruments but you will find making an acoustic is a different animal to an electric. Having a humidity controlled environment is an issue that you must address or you are looking for trouble. Buy yourself a hydrometer that you know is calibrated correctly and away you go!

Cheers

Alan
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

jeff crisp
Beefwood

Post by jeff crisp » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:03 am

Lots of good advice already. If it was me and I didn't have anybody with acoustic building experience to guide me through the build I think I would consider starting with a kit build. I know there is more imfomation available then ever before but it often used to be said to not sell your first ten guitars and thats not just for cosmetic reasons. Sure build away but maybe don't put yourself under pressure to get it right and on time on your first build, just enjoy the experience. As for time spent, well that depends on may things but it can take longer to make some rosettes than it does to route out an electric body with all the necessary cavities. How long does it take to learn to sharpen a chisel properly. My best advice is just enjoy the experience, there will be plenty of opportunities for presents to family and friends and it will give you a chance to see how they hold up over time.

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:48 pm

I teach acoustic guitar building.

We run courses all the time for people who have never built a guitar before, for us between 30 and 40hrs appears sufficient for a complete build from scratch.

If you were on your own, having never done it before, I could easily imagine it would take triple that
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

scuffle
Myrtle

Post by scuffle » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:51 pm

sounds like ill have to get off my arse and get stuck into it :gui
---
Cheers,
Andrew Hobson

Eric Scheper
Wandoo

Post by Eric Scheper » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:43 am

I'll second the kit idea but sounds like you have more experience than I did when I did my first one a year ago. I got one from LMI and can highly recommend them, even with the extra shipping cost. I'd say it's taken me 60-80 hours on the last couple and I have no background in tools or wood or building things.