Epoxy adhesive

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

vandenboom
Blackwood

Epoxy adhesive

Post by vandenboom » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:21 pm

Some of you have indicated you use epoxy in some adhesive applications eg. fingerboards to get around moisture issue.
What do you use?
I notice Botecote came up in another thread used as pore filler. A crowd was selling that at the Melb wood show the other day and also had an epoxy adhesive but it dried white in colour, so you would need to add a stain I presume.
Frank

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Re: Epoxy adhesive

Post by DarwinStrings » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:18 pm

Hey Frank, I have been using "Mega Poxy" which I buy by the litre for fret boards and glueing in linings laminating head and tail blocks. I use the west Systems one for braces cause of the CF. Have not ever used epoxy as a grain fill though. Also I am considering changing to Hot Hyde for my fret boards (just in case they ever need removal for truss rod breaks)

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:29 pm

Don't know what Bote Cote you were looking at Frank, but I use their Crystal resin and regular hardener. The also have an additive to thin the mix down so it's far easier to get it to penetrate those fine pores when pore filling. It's water clear and about the same viscosity.

The hardener is a slight amber color and seems to turn more amber with age, but the epoxy itself ends up as close to clear as most will ever need. I use it for pore filler, as well as some other adhesive uses such as finger boards and CF bridge patches etc.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:27 pm

I've been using Mirothane 5545 sanding sealer as pore filler on the last couple of instruments.

I'll let you know how it goes but it's looking good so far.

I'm a bit over the sink back you get with Z-poxy and I've also had inconsistent hardening with West Systems.

Regards
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:01 pm

The "go to" epoxy adhesive I use is Techniglue. Seems to be both idiot proof and bullet proof!

Well, it hasn't failed on me yet!

Sets up pretty clear, so you can't see it on a tight joint, but also has the "see through" effect if used on end grain spruce etc.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:07 pm

Frank, the best epoxy wood 'adhesive' I've found is Smiths Allwood. As you probably know I'm not a fan of any epoxy now days and avoid it if there's options at hand, but sometimes, epoxy is the only glue for the job and Smiths is really good stuff. I don't know of an AU supply. But LMI sells it so you probably understand that shipping will cost more than the glue, but, I kid you not, it is really good epoxy for wood to wood. Perhaps because it's resin is actually obtained from trees. But what ever the reason, it certainly cures up 'hard', harder than any other epoxy that I've used.

http://www.lmii.com/products/mostly-not ... wood-epoxy

Cheers

Kim

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:26 am

So Botecoat is fine to use as an adhesive as well?

I just used it to pore fill a few weeks ago and it was so much better than z-poxy. The factory is not far from my house and the guys there are really great, insisted on showing me through the factory and the various projects they are working on. You also get it cheaper direct which is a bonus.
Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:50 pm

Trevor Gore wrote:The "go to" epoxy adhesive I use is Techniglue. Seems to be both idiot proof and bullet proof!

Well, it hasn't failed on me yet!

Sets up pretty clear, so you can't see it on a tight joint, but also has the "see through" effect if used on end grain spruce etc.
+1 for Techniglue. Its very forgiving with mixing ratios.....
Martin

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:33 pm

Yes I find Techniglue really great too....as an aside has anybody found that the hardener seems to oxidize over time and turns a darker colour in the tin....it still seems to cure with no problems but is a bit slower. Because it is a bit ex-ie I have now taken to putting it in small jars to use so that I only have to open the hardener tin when I have to replenish the smaller quantities...

John
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:14 am

Bob Connor wrote:
I'm a bit over the sink back you get with Z-poxy

Regards
ME TOO !! Takes quite a long time , but it does happen ! . Very disappointing .
I'm wonder if all epoxies do the same.......... ?
I recall the old school French polishers mixing up a Plaster of Paris paste (with a suitable coloured water stain ). Never had any issues .
Craig Lawrence

colburge
Blackwood

Post by colburge » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:58 am

Botecote +1

Col