bracing

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: bracing

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:11 am

If it ain't stiff...give it the biff!!
Martin

Mikeson1510
Gidgee

Post by Mikeson1510 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:52 am

So I'm about to start my next guitar build and I want to use some NZ timbers on it , specifically the top the neck and the bracing.
I'm using black walnut for the back and sides and I wanted to use Pauduk for the the back bracing for some colour and strength but obviously that's not a kiwi timber and is super expensive to get here so does anyone know of a nice looking strong bracing timber either from NZ or Australia?

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:38 am

Mikeson1510 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:52 am
So I'm about to start my next guitar build and I want to use some NZ timbers on it , specifically the top the neck and the bracing.
I'm using black walnut for the back and sides and I wanted to use Pauduk for the the back bracing for some colour and strength but obviously that's not a kiwi timber and is super expensive to get here so does anyone know of a nice looking strong bracing timber either from NZ or Australia?
What you're looking for in bracing wood is something that is light and stiff. I tend to stick to spruce as it fits the bill on both counts.
Martin

TallDad71
Blackwood

Post by TallDad71 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:59 am

Mikeson1510 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:52 am
I cut all my braces to the same rectangular cross section 8mm by 12mm in a way that the end grain show the grain lines going vertically.

I then clamp one end and deflection test the length of the blank.
The least flexible ones are my preferred. Usually spruce and it has lower density.
Alan
Peregrine Guitars

Andos
Blackwood

Post by Andos » Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:17 am

Mangeao for the top and bracing.
Tawa or tairere for the neck

If you find a source of mangeao please let me know.

Mikeson1510
Gidgee

Post by Mikeson1510 » Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:05 pm

Thanks Andos,
I managed to get my hands on some tararie for the top and neck, just have to get my hands on some good bracing timber 👍