Little Archtop Project Question

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Little Archtop Project Question

Post by needsmorecowbel » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:04 pm

Got given this Archie for my birthday this year to have a play with (which is turning into quite a bit of fun). It is a cheap ply guitar but for a 50-60 year old instrument it has a fair few neck issues which I had a fairly good idea about when I bought it. Despite the issues the body is holding up really well.
The fretboard was like rolling hills until I planed the whole thing off but the surface of the neck is now dead straight, the neck looks like it has had a dodgy reset in its time (not vertically 90 degrees nor horizontally straight in terms of running straight down the 'centre line' of the guitar) this is putting the tailpiece across about 10-11 mm from where it should be (centre join line of the sides )and also skewing the bridge location by a slightly smaller margin...The edges of the bridge feet have worn so might also have to redo the bridge base or get a replacement.

Haven't tried to heat the neck/ body join as of yet but looks like a pva based glue...
fretboard off 3.jpg
fret.jpg
There is a bit of hide glue in the cavity from when I tried to replace the 14th to 19th fret by shimming a piece of rosewood to the thickness of the old fretboard (8.7mm)
fret.jpg (399.14 KiB) Viewed 4585 times
Fretboard 2.jpg
Still have to do a bit of cleanup
bridge location bad.jpg
Crummy Bridge Location
Should I just chuck a new fretboard on and not worry about the bridge location of the guitar or just say stuff it, attempt to carefully take the neck off and try and salvage the old neck? If that fails make a new neck... I highly doubt I can get the neck off without damaging the join/ finish as the previous repairer glued the neck support block for the 14th-19th frets to the top of the guitar...Having said that I can probably carefully hog out the tenon holding the neck on. The fretboard is a good 8.75mm thick when finished...

Stu
Attachments
Fretboard Off.jpg

P Bill
Blackwood

Re: Little Archtop Project Question

Post by P Bill » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:42 pm

If the neck joint is sound, the short answer from me is no. First I'd mark, on masking tape, the tone bar positions and then fit new bridge feet to suit. See how that goes. It all depends how much of a project you want.
"Were you drying your nails or waving me good bye?" Tom Waits

Bill

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:52 pm

Cheers Paul, cool idea! The neck join is very sound so I might just try your fix.

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:15 pm

Sorry I meant Bill...haha