Router Laminate Trimmer

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Router Laminate Trimmer

Post by ozziebluesman » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:03 pm

Hi to you all,

I have been using a secondhand Makita 3702b laminate trimmer with my Stew Mac Binding jig, with a home made table to rout truss rod, saddle slots and neck stiffener channels. It has always had a dodgy chuck and sometimes it was hard to tell if the bit was secure in the trimmer. Today I had a bad experience with the trimmer and it let go the bit and bent the bit shaft almost sideways. I have lost confidence in the trimmer so won't use it again.

So i"m in the market for a new one. Is the Bosch colt router as per Stew Macs version available in Australia? I'm think it might be a good move to buy one a to use fro my purposes as the stew mac binding jig is made to suit that router. I can then mount it underneath my table and set it up for the saddle slotting jig.

I can go for a new Makita Trimmer too as I am setup for that trimmer?

I would appreciate some advice.

Cheers

Alan
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

demonx
Blackwood

Re: Router Laminate Trimmer

Post by demonx » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:16 pm

I recently bought a Dewalt one with a base that can be swapped from trimmer to router base with handles.

Its my favourite router to date and I've had many. Can be seen in action in my current superstrat build thread in video PT2

Next favourite I've had after that would be porter cable and makita. I've got a triton which stays in my router table but wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Was great new but they don't wear well

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:32 pm

Unless the housing is cactus or something else major making a rebuild too expensive, then you should be able to get parts readily for the Makita Alan because they're a tradie standard for good reason and have been so for years. Just thinking that if your already jigged up for it and cost is not too bad I would go that rout..pun intended :D

Cheers

Kim

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:49 pm

To the best of my knowledge Alan, the Bosch Colt is not available in 240v yet. Has not been for years so they don't seem in any hurry to be making one for our market.

Not really sure why - purportedly something to do with the variable speed conversion to our specs, but I don't understand that as many larger routers are variable speed. In any case, Bosch suggest their closest current Aussie version is the GMR1, which you can see here -

http://www.carbatec.com.au/bosch-gmr1-trimmer_c21314

Note however, it is not variable speed like the Colt is. The GMR1 should be a robust enough little tool from the Bosch Pro range, though I have very little personal experience with it. Carba-Tec supply it for use in the CNC Shark in lieu of the Colt which is what is supplied in USA. Of course, you could always get the Colt and a 110v/220-40volt power transformer/convertor. I believe others have gone down this path as a means to save money on items like Festool etc. Not sure how ideal or what the pitfalls of such a move might be.

I use the Porter Cable which is single speed and pretty basic in adjustment etc, but a very nicely built unit that is accurate and reliable - mine has been faultless for many years of abuse, I mean use :wink: That does not help you though as Porter Cable stopped manufacturing most (all?) items in 240v many years ago (too small a market), so you are back to the 110v option.

Triton is not really relevant to the conversation as they don't make a trimmer at all.

Sorry but have no experience with any other trimmers...

Good luck.

Jeremy.

P Bill
Blackwood

Post by P Bill » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:14 pm

Alan the collet might be dodgy or the wrong size. In the late 80's I worked at a place that had imperial and metric collets and bits. It was a nightmare! Once tight, if you can force the bit to move with your thumb and fore finger, it is a mismatch.
Last edited by P Bill on Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Were you drying your nails or waving me good bye?" Tom Waits

Bill

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:15 pm

Thanks Alan for your recommendations.

Kim: My trimmer is very old so I think it is safer to retire it. It may be able to be repaired but I would prefer a new one hopefully with a soft start and two speed operation which is probably not available her in OZ.

Jeremy: Thanks mate for your advice. I think a Bosch from Stew Mac and a transformer will be the way to go. It works out about $130 for the router and $30 shipping and then I have to buy a transformer which I see are about $70.

According to the Stew Mac site the Colt is not two speed, pity and I wonder if it has a soft start. Maybe send the Mac an email.

Cheers

Alan

Alan Hamley

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:21 pm

I have about half a dozen laminate trimmer style routers. The best I've got is the Makita. Looks similar to the Bosch Colt. It has plenty of power, is relatively quiet (compared to some I have), has variable speed, soft start and runs absolutely true, which none of my others do, which is basically about collet quality. It has rack and pinion style depth control which performs typical to the type (OK but not great) and no depth stop (but I made one). It is the standard diameter, so will fit Ryobi, Makita and various other no name bases.

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:21 pm

G'day Bill,
What happened today was down right dangerous. I was using a bit with a 1/4" shank so no collet. The chuck in the trimmer was always very difficult to tighten and undo. It was secondhand when I bought it 6 years ago and I have given it plenty of use use.

I am coming down to Beaudesert in January might try and call and say g'day while I am close to your area. Probaby around the 5th, 6th 7th Jan.

Cheers

Alan

Alan Hamley

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:23 pm

G'day Trevor,
Which model is the Makita trimmer you have please?
Cheers
Alan

Alan Hamley

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:28 pm

Hi again Alan.

Be aware there appear to be at least two models of the Bosch Colt - a single speed version (35'000rpm) and a variable speed version with soft start (15'000-35'000rpm). After a quick look, the variable speed appears to be available elsewhere for about stewmacs price, while the single speed can be had even cheaper...

Shop around and research before you pull the trigger.

Jeremy.

P Bill
Blackwood

Post by P Bill » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:31 pm

ozziebluesman wrote:G'day Bill,
What happened today was down right dangerous. I was using a bit with a 1/4" shank so no collet. The chuck in the trimmer was always very difficult to tighten and undo. It was secondhand when I bought it 6 years ago and I have given it plenty of use use.

I am coming down to Beaudesert in January might try and call and say g'day while I am close to your area. Probaby around the 5th, 6th 7th Jan.

Cheers

Alan
It will be good to catch up, I look forward to it. :D
"Were you drying your nails or waving me good bye?" Tom Waits

Bill

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:44 pm

I have a few (about 9 trimmers), 3 of which are makitas, I would have to say, the makitas to date been faultless and suprisingly good for a tool not recommended for commercial use.

The newest makita trimmer is absolutley beautiful and smooth to use and above all reasonably priced
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:50 pm

Thanks Steve,
What model is the trimmer so I can research it?
Cheers
Alan

Alan Hamley

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:54 pm

ozziebluesman wrote:G'day Trevor,
Which model is the Makita trimmer you have please?
Cheers
Alan
RTO700C

I think they'd just been introduced when I got mine at Bunnies. Just over $100, I think, at the time. I've seen them since for a lot more. If I needed another, I'd get one, even at the higher price.

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:55 pm

Thanks Trevor.

Alan Hamley

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:06 pm

Hi Al, i had the same thing happen to my overhead Makita router, 1/4 shank bit dropped out whilst cutting, so I know how you feel.

Amongst my stable of routers and trimmers I have two Makita trimmers, the 3701 I've had since the 1970's and is still going great but now religated for dedicated use in my bridge slotting machine. The other I bought last year, the 3709. I think it's a great machine and does it's job as expected.
Taff

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:24 pm

I have the same two as Taffy Alan, my 3701 is not quite as old at Taffy's but it has ploughed through a heap of commercial work for what it was intended, edge trimming of mainly laminex bench tops, have changed the bearing and brushes and it still powers on. The 3709 is good but I get the feeling it won't last as long with its plastic housing. That one Trevor posted is next on my list of trimmers and you can get it with a few useful bases.

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:38 pm

Alan,

I bought the router mounting template when I bought the stewmac binding jig. Made converting the router carriage easy. Happy to lend it to you if I can find it :).
Jeremy D

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:28 pm

Thanks for the offer Jeremy. I too have the mounting template and have the Makita trimmer setup on the binding jig but it is the chuck that is worn as the trimmer is old.

Taffy: Bout time we caught up again soon. Thanks for your support. It sure is an experience when the trimmer drops a bit. I will keep the old trimmer and use it as a dedicated tool for bridge slots and mount it on some sort of table jig.

I will buy a new on for the binding jig. I am still looking at the Bosch as the model up from the Stew Mac model has a variable speed and a soft start. That appeals to me. I will keep researching.

Thanks Jim for your input. I reckon my trimmer is very old!

Cheers

Alan

Alan Hamley

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:46 pm

The soft start is a good idea, a couple of times I've chased the trimmer across the bench 'cos it was in the on position when I plugged it in. But I'm awake to that one now, it really does jump into action with a vengance.
Yes must catch up.
Taff

timberfreak
Gidgee

Post by timberfreak » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:23 pm

Hey Alan,
I'm liking the look of the makita rto700cx. Try tool boss on duckworth st. I have heard their pricing is as good as anywhere in the country.
Cheers, Joel

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:30 am

Thanks for your little story Taffy. I am glad others have experienced what I did Friday morning and it wasn't my stupidity that caused the hazzard.

Thanks Joel I will look into that model soon. Do you know or anyone else on the forum if the old plastic mounting will fit the new trimmer model? If not it might be too big at the base to fit my Stew Mac TruBinding stand mount.

Cheers

Al

Alan Hamley

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:05 am

Just a little tip for everyone without insulting those who do this,,
"Don't put the shank of any bit right up to full depth in any collett or chuck". (drop em down a whisker)

Steve

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:24 pm

Thanks for the tip Steve.

In my setup it has been more getting enough of the shank into the chuck. I have used a perspex shim so the Stew Mac jig fits my trimmer. My issue was I reckon maybe 10 mm of the shaft was going into the chuck and that may not be enough for it to be solid and stable?

Cheers

Alan

Alan Hamley