Melbourne Guitar Makers Festival

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

jeff crisp
Beefwood

Re: Melbourne Guitar Makers Festival

Post by jeff crisp » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:52 pm

Sorry Jim, between the worst sink back I've ever seen in my life on any guitar and my ugly mug, if there is any it might be best that they don't surface.

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:13 am

You had some stunners at the show Jeff I really like the style with which you make guitars. Really digging the way you treat the headstock. Very Very cool

Stu

jeff crisp
Beefwood

Post by jeff crisp » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:09 pm

Thanks Stu, I appreciate your comments :) . I will keep plodding along.

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:05 pm

Well, I think a good time was had by all, including me. Nine hours drive each way, seven guitars, stands, computers and bits and pieces as well as the usual luggage, so a real car full.

It was good to speak to those I managed to speak to, especially the forum members, but I only got to speak to about half the people I wanted to, I was that flat out. Unfortunately, I didn't get to any of the concerts, either. I think maybe next time I'll go as a spectator rather than an exhibitor!

It seems no-one died in the "Designing and Building Contemporary Acoustic Guitars" workshop, but it seems there were a few injured brains. I guess two and a half hours flat out on the black book will do that!

All the instruments there were undoubtedly impressive, but I have to say the wood in Laurie Williams instruments (NZ) was something else. The whitebait kauri (I think!) was something really special.

A big thanks, too, to the organisers. Apologies to those I miss, but thanks to Jack Spira, Phil Carson Crickmore, Dan Hoban, Dan Robinson, Tim Kill, Shane Briggs, Jeff Crisp, Andrew Duganzich and Jim Matheas.

Not to be missed next year.

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:39 am

It was a great talk Trevor! I think you are right there were a few fried brains by question time...After nearly three hours the mind seems to wander towards soundports... :lol:

Stu

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:18 am

Trevor Gore wrote:All the instruments there were undoubtedly impressive, but I have to say the wood in Laurie Williams instruments (NZ) was something else. The whitebait kauri (I think!) was something really special.
Good to hear that Laurie made the trip, a New Zealand Luthier that is certainly worth his salt and one workshop I'd sure like to visit. Christian may know more as they are both in the same part of the country but I believe Laurie has his own private source of the whitebait Kauri and an impressive stash of it he's accumulated over the years and yes it certainly does shimmer under finish.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

christian
Blackwood

Post by christian » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:03 pm

Looks like the event was a hit!! So many great guitars on offer, thanks for posting chaps!! I would love to exhibit...maybe next year!!
Re The Ancient Kauri Laurie uses, yes it is the whitebait grade. If it was the "Williams" whitebait, it is simply amazing under high gloss, it came from one freakish log unearthed somewhere up our way.
I have some great flame and whitebait but nothing like that!!
I found the link to a short clip showcasing it. Unreal!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utwWplLKf-Q

Cheers,

Christian
Why does the eye see a thing more clearly in dreams than the imagination when awake?
Leonardo da Vinci

www.christiandruery.com

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:43 pm

I'm pretty sure the festival is bi-annual Christian, hope you can get along to it just the same, good chance to meet another forumite :D :D and seeing as i seem to be so bloody slow with a build a 2 year gap should give me a chance to knock up something new for the next one, ha ha!! :lol: :lol: .
Cheers,,
Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:29 pm

On behalf of Jack Spira and the rest of the members here's a link to a 15 minute promo video of the festival held in 2013, the next one is in the planning for 2015.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lu0MYb ... e=youtu.be
Rod.

www.octiganguitars.com

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:50 pm

www.octiganguitars.com

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:48 am

rocket wrote:On behalf of Jack Spira and the rest of the members here's a link to a 15 minute promo video of the festival held in 2013, the next one is in the planning for 2015.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lu0MYb ... e=youtu.be
Rod.
Great vid, thanks for posting Rod and good to hear one of your axes getting a workout!
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

seeaxe
Blackwood

Post by seeaxe » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:05 pm

Very nice video, very nice guitars, very nice playing. Very cool!
If hearing that doesn't sell a few guitars, then I don't know what would.

I'd be interested to know if many people actually buy at the show? If I was thinking of buying a top end guitar I would think that having that many different options would be perfect. (Except they are all righties, but that's my problem)

Cheers
Richard

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:44 pm

Only ever saw one high end instrument sold at one of these shows, you don't go there to sell you go there to advertise, the place is full of tyre kickers and mostly they just drool over the instruments an make them grubby, the really serious ones, hopefully will pop out of nowhere a few years later when they have the readies, still waiting to see if that's going to happen.!! :roll: :roll:

Rod.

www.octiganguitars.com