Melbourne Guitar Makers Festival

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Melbourne Guitar Makers Festival

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:11 pm

It may just be my imagination but are a large majority of members of this forum not predominantly acoustic builders....even though the title of the forum specifies that it's a luthier's forum.
Martin

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:59 pm

Nick wrote:
demonx wrote: and this isn't advertised as a "Acoustic Guitar Festival", just food for thought.
You are right there Allan, it probably should be promoted as an "Acoustic Guitar festival" and maybe it is, just the way Bob chose to head up the post?
But as for the 'name' brands of the Electric world, they probably wouldn't show at these festivals, why would they? They have the music shops (Usually frequented by the pimply teens who want to emulate their hero's, who all happen to be flash and dash on an electric rather than an acoustic, hence higher sales of electrics I'm guessing) to do their bidding, music shops don't stock such a large range of acoustic guitars, the major makers (who's product can be sold at a lower cost because of the number of units they produce) hang on the wall in large numbers and that's about it, they are very reticent to hang any "Unknown" (unknown to the aforementioned pimply teens) builders on the wall even though these guitars would probably blow many of the known production brands out of the water sound-wise because, A) The pimply teens have never heard of them, B) They cannot afford the asking price & C) The majority, not all though, wouldn't know the difference between a good and a shit acoustic guitar.
I agree with a lot of you say here, stores in most cases only stock what sells quick. A lot of stores are franchise and only stock what they're told they can stock. However, stores also do not want to know about electric builders either. Electric builders are dime a dozen, especially since the internet has made the information redilly available, there are what I call "McLuthiers" everywhere you turn your head. Like a fast food chain. There are builders everywhere. Get onto any of the big luthier forums and the acoustic section is tucked away and the focus is on electrics.

I'm sure that there are (speculation here) several Melbourne builders (of electrics) who would go to a guitar festival if it was a more broad and beneficial to them event.
Nick wrote: Just Trevor's, Tim Kill and Jack Spira's name and you already have some fairly classy hitters in the Acoustic game right there at this show.
I'll be perfectly honest here and show my ignorance in the Acoustic world, I have not heard any of those names. I've been playing guitar for about thirty years, I've owned well over a hundred instruments (not made by me) and not one of those names mean anything to me, simply because it's not my scene. I'm sure if I listed off a similar list of Australian biggest electric builders, the acoustic guys would most likely never have heard of them either, even the Aussie electric builders whom are worldwide renowned of which there are several.

As far as Acoustic Builders, I know David Churchill simply because he's local. I've had many discussions both here at my place and over at his on guitar building and the differences/similarities in both our fields, I've asked his opinion on approaching certain aspects of building and he's shown me a few tricks which were quite helpful. I'm also aware he attends festivals throughout the year and usually sells one or two guitars at those festivals. BUT, I only know David as he is local to me, not because he's a well known luthier.

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:02 pm

kiwigeo wrote:It may just be my imagination but are a large majority of members of this forum not predominantly acoustic builders....even though the title of the forum specifies that it's a luthier's forum.
I agree, this is predominantly a Acoustic forum. I hang around here as it's the only Australian forum for building guitars that I'm aware of. It also seems to be a decent bunch of guys.

It is a shame though that there aren't more electric builders on here, but, it is what it is. I know when I first found the forum I didn't join as it looked to be Acoustic only, but maybe a year or two (or three) later I was searching for something and it came across my path again and I joined just for the hell of it. No regrets

I'd just like to state again, my post wan't about trying to stir up trouble or anything, it was intended in a positive manner, but anyway, it's been answered that the festival is intended for Acoustic only and the reason was the clash of sounds. End of story.

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:06 pm

I don't think it is 'taboo' to talk about sales etc but perhaps such subjects are perceived on this forum as less inspiring or interesting than posting pictures, processes, tutorials or funny pictures. Could also be that people want to keep that kind of information private - which is also fair enough.

Stu

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:07 pm

Allan, Stu from Bluestone guitars pops on every now and again he'd be a good one to have a chat with

Stu

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:43 pm

demonx wrote:I'd just like to state again, my post wan't about trying to stir up trouble or anything, it was intended in a positive manner, but anyway, it's been answered that the festival is intended for Acoustic only and the reason was the clash of sounds. End of story.
No trouble stirred as far as I'm concerned Allan, it's all good healthy discussion and one which, as you say, seems to pop up on many forums, the them and us attitudes. One,of which fortunately, I haven't seen on this one. The thing that I've seen most here and like about this place, is everybody is interested in anything that makes a sound when either, hit, plucked, squeezed or trodden on :shock: and the attitude I like to follow, there's lots to be learnt from anybody no matter what your type of construction or instrument is. The ones that do take exception or adopt an attitude about one type only, don't seem to stick around for long :cl .
To answer Perry from my, maybe incorrect, observations. I don't think there is an avoidance to talk about sales on the forum, it's just that most of us here are either semi pro or hobby builders and as such, if we sell two or three instruments a year are more than happy. I know I am and it's not that I avoid talking about sales generated but just that I'm not relying it putting prime cuts of sirloin on my barbie and so as such, I don't feel 'qualified', if that's the right word to use, to comment whereas You Perry, would expect any outing to prove profitable for you as it's your income/livelihood and quite rightly so. I would go to a festival, chat to other builders about their building techniques e.t.c, maybe have a few people pick up my guitars, play, listen and go away with a business card and I'd say that I'd enjoyed that festival whereas you would expect to come away with firm sales.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Ormsby Guitars

Post by Ormsby Guitars » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:06 pm

Allan, you'll find that the electric to acoustic builders numbers are closer to even than what you have experienced. The difference is most acoustic builders are 'hidden' and don't post on forums much. Also, hobby builders seem to be more electric focused. I could name more acoustic builders than electric builders within Australia for sure.

ozwood
Blackwood

Post by ozwood » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:23 pm

My two Bob's worth,

There is nothing, as far as I can see , stopping the "Electric" guys from organizing a festival Skewed to them, I'm sure Jack , Bob and the others do not have an exclusive on organizational skills, venue hire, marketing or drawing a crowd from those who know there work and reputations.

Seems to me that with Perry's exceptional marketing, sales and organizing skills, along with a healthy list of international contacts,combined with Alan's enthusiasm, knocking together an all-electric , or indeed all things strings festival would be a snap.

I build Both, I'm certainly more focussed on acoustics and look forward to learning what I can from the awesome line up of exhibitors and presenters at the Festival, but hay the mother of invention is necessity, so if the markets that big , you blokes would be mad not to put one on for the good folk who are focussed on electrics.

Just my thoughts.
Paul .

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:14 pm

Sounds great in theory, but I have to plan time days in advance to go buy sandpaper, time to "event organise" is simply non existent - with that said I know perry builds more than I, so he'd be in the same boat.

My work day starts around 9am, I get home 11:30pm and then unwind till usually 1am, go to sleep and do it all over again

Ormsby Guitars

Post by Ormsby Guitars » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:06 pm

demonx wrote:Sounds great in theory, but I have to plan time days in advance to go buy sandpaper, time to "event organise" is simply non existent - with that said I know perry builds more than I, so he'd be in the same boat.

My work day starts around 9am, I get home 11:30pm and then unwind till usually 1am, go to sleep and do it all over again

I didnt get anywhere by making excuses :P

ozwood
Blackwood

Post by ozwood » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:14 pm

That's the spirit Perry :cl :cl :cl

Perth .... Melb.... Sydney ...... Adelaide or Brisbane.

Or

A roadshow to all of the above. :D
Paul .

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:32 pm

No excuses! I'm sitting in a factory typing this right now!

Most people think I'm crazy the hours I work, the thing is I want to be retired young. So I work A LOT.

Ormsby Guitars

Post by Ormsby Guitars » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:26 pm

demonx wrote:No excuses! I'm sitting in a factory typing this right now!

Most people think I'm crazy the hours I work, the thing is I want to be retired young. So I work A LOT.
I'm about to sign a deal that will potential double my income. That's not to make it easier to retire, but to make sure I can pick and choose even more selectively, who gets what I feel like making. Or, even more importantly, keep my family secure if something happens to me. I don't want to retire, I'm just getting started!

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:00 pm

The Adelaide Guitar Festival has started featuring a few builders. They get a slot (30mins) during which they give a presentation on their work and then they field questions. Ashley Sanders who's on this forum presented at the last festival.
Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:01 pm

Ormsby Guitars wrote:
I'm about to sign a deal that will potential double my income.
I thought the mining boom was over :)
Martin

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:26 am

Just thought I'd bump this back up, having just had a conversation with the organisers. It's all looking to be the best one yet.

This will be a great show and I'd encourage anyone in the the area (or out of it) to come along. Details of the exhibition can be found here:

http://www.guitarmakers.com.au/

As well as the guitars and makers, there will also be some workshops and presentations. I will be presenting an abridged cross section of the 3 day course which will cover the way I think about guitars and their design and there will also be presentations from Phil Carson Crickmore (Building Your Knowledge Tree) and Jim Matheas (The Guitar as a Musical instrument. Observations and Perspectives from a Luthier and Musician).

More information on the workshops here:

http://www.guitarmakers.com.au/?page_id=159

As they used to say when I were a lad (not from Yorkshire) "Be there or be square".

(What a strange phrase!!)

Clancy
Blackwood

Post by Clancy » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:24 pm

demonx wrote: since the internet has made the information redilly available, there are what I call "McLuthiers" everywhere you turn your head.
ANZMcLF

.....with fries.
Craig
I'm not the sharpest tool in my shed

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:58 am

Clancy wrote: ANZMcLF

.....with fries.
That's funny! I'll give you points for that!

I will clarify what I meant by McLuthiers though. If you get on some of the bigger, international forums it seems that every kid who owns a jigsaw and a router and has build half a guitar is trying to take on customers and start a business.

The guys on this forum are different. First of all they have talent, there is some redicilously good talent on this forum and there are also a handful of professional builders that are also very highly skilled. There's not one person I've seen on this forum I'd consider a McLuthier.

Dekka
Blackwood

Post by Dekka » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:32 pm

It sounds like you've reached some sort of pinnacle, Allan. :cl
I build for fun, therapy, the challenge, and the desire to learn new skills as well as the mental exercise (Got to keep the Alzheimers at bay.) but I salute any kid that has the belief in themselves to take a router and a jigsaw and chase their dream.
Good on 'em for havin' a go, I say.
"Tuoba-esra si od I gnihtyreve."

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:07 pm

I feel an "are you worthy of calling yourself a luthier" debate coming on :mrgreen:

I'll declare my hand right now...Im a MGSO.....maker of guitar shaped objects
Martin

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:16 pm

I'm with you Martin another MGSO. The things I have learnt over the past few months working beside Joel a furniture maker has been invaluable to my guitar building and even made me feel a dill sometimes. I think to be a good guitar builder it takes experience and a thirst to learn.

Cheers

Alan
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:44 pm

ozziebluesman wrote:I'm with you Martin another MGSO. The things I have learnt over the past few months working beside Joel a furniture maker has been invaluable to my guitar building and even made me feel a dill sometimes. I think to be a good guitar builder it takes experience and a thirst to learn.

Cheers

Alan
Nah. Just a thirst. :gui
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:14 pm

I find it interesting that those who started the same way as the jigsaw and file guys can cast aspersions upon those that haven't, perhaps, reached the same level of accomplishment a s the critic.

Everyone starts somewhere, and, as Dekka says, I salute anyone who wants to give it a go. I bet their favourite guitar is the one they made.....

There's a guy near me named Andrew Knight, who I've been to many times, and I respect his work. In fact I reccommend him to guys with jobs I'm up for. Recently, I had a look at his website, on which, a rant against anyone not a "Master Luthier" has appeared.

I lost a great deal of respect for Andrew after reading it. One must assume that each and every "Master Luthier" was once an untrained individual that needed work and training, unless they come from the womb full-formed. However, I am still unaware of any accrediting agency that rates the abilities of "guys who work on guitars."

I have a lot more fun with guys that don't consider themselves better than those around them.....
I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am....

Cheers,
Nick

https://www.facebook.com/pages/DMI-hand ... 744?ref=hl

ozwood
Blackwood

Post by ozwood » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:00 pm

I'm a Masters Luthier :wink: ...............I bought some Tightbond from Masters....... and used it to make a GSO :lol: .

I don't know what goes on anywhere else , but here in Newcastle we help each other out and treat potential Luthiers as new members of the family , I often offer a bit of a hand and use of my machinery to guys that are having a go at their first Guitar as well as any advice and help I can , it's what Jeff, Warren, Trevor, Justin Montifiore and the Woodrat did and still do for me and I feel I should pass it on, the young fella with a Jigsaw and Router making 1 or 2 Guitars a year , even if he sells them is not the enemy , it's the buggers getting Guitars mass produced in China for $30- $150 and selling them for $150 - $500 that are the enemy.

It's a bloody healthy hobby and I would Like to see more young fellas develop a hobby like that, rather than some of the less healthy pursuits they could be involved in, I applaud Strato for the awsome Job he does running the AGMS, he has started many a person, young, old, male, female, on their Lutherie journey , and we all get together once a year and make a night out of it, I applaude my mate Mark Redman, a High school IA teacher , who has his kids making Ukes, and I'll foster and help any bugger who want's to have a go.

For Christ Sake it's Just a bloody Guitar , they are not performing amatuer brain surgery, the worst , the absolute worst that can happen is a shit Guitar , and the mass makers have been making those in their thousands for years.

And so endith my rant :x
Paul .

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:08 pm

ozwood wrote:I'm a Masters Luthier :wink: ...............I bought some Tightbond from Masters....... and used it to make a GSO :lol: .

I don't know what goes on anywhere else , but here in Newcastle we help each other out and treat potential Luthiers as new members of the family , I often offer a bit of a hand and use of my machinery to guys that are having a go at their first Guitar as well as any advice and help I can , it's what Jeff, Warren, Trevor, Justin Montifiore and the Woodrat did and still do for me and I feel I should pass it on, the young fella with a Jigsaw and Router making 1 or 2 Guitars a year , even if he sells them is not the enemy , it's the buggers getting Guitars mass produced in China for $30- $150 and selling them for $150 - $500 that are the enemy.

It's a bloody healthy hobby and I would Like to see more young fellas develop a hobby like that, rather than some of the less healthy pursuits they could be involved in, I applaud Strato for the awsome Job he does running the AGMS, he has started many a person, young, old, male, female, on their Lutherie journey , and we all get together once a year and make a night out of it, I applaude my mate Mark Redman, a High school IA teacher , who has his kids making Ukes, and I'll foster and help any bugger who want's to have a go.

For Christ Sake it's Just a bloody Guitar , they are not performing amatuer brain surgery, the worst , the absolute worst that can happen is a shit Guitar , and the mass makers have been making those in their thousands for years.

And so endith my rant :x
AMEN Paul
Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com