1/4 " router/trimmer

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:29 pm

Maximum size cutting bit you can chuck in a mini-trimmer is about 10mm in diameter if you're chasing bits for it Craig.

Bob

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:04 pm

bob wrote:Maximum size cutting bit you can chuck in a mini-trimmer is about 10mm in diameter if you're chasing bits for it Craig.

Bob
Geez , I'm glad you mentioned it Bob , I was about to chuck a 1/2" flush cut. Would that be too big for it to handle . B.T.W. the one I got is a newer type model with a bigger motor 530 watt

Cheers , Craig

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:49 pm

12.5mm should be OK with the bigger motor but I wouldn't go any bigger than that.

I got a 16.5mm on today but we'll use that on a larger router.

Have a look at some of the end mills that LMI sell.

LMI End Mills

They're not cheap but they are beautifully made spiral downcut bits. We use them for doing rosettes and saddle slots because it's much more accurate than the Dremel with 1/8 shank bits.

Bob

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:10 pm

Thanks Bob . I already have some I got from carba-tec. Checking my box of bits to day , I found a 1/4 " shanked 1/8 " spiral down cut I forgot I had :lol: I also have a core box 1/4 " I got from L.M.I. for truss rod slots . I really like the spiral cutters best of all . a nice clean cut and edge.

The guys at Gasweld ( where I bought my trimmer ) gave me a catalogue from " Carb-i-tool " ( no relation to Carba-tec , I'm told ) This is an Australian manufacturer , and have an enormous range. I suppose you already know of them, but I didn't :? www.carbitool.com.au

Appreciate your help here Bob

Cheers Craig

gratay
Blackwood

Post by gratay » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:37 pm

bob wrote:Maktec is the home handyman model. Cheaper than the Makita range which is the heavy duty tradesman line.

We've got one of each. The Maktec lives in the binding jig and the Makita does everyhing else including mortise and tenon joints.

It seems to be fine for that job. I do have trouble sourcing 1/4 shank top
bearing flush trim bits that are long enough, but Ive just found that Linbide make them. We have a Carbitool bit at present but it no longer appears in their catalogue.

I's go for the mini-trimmer Craig particularly if you have another larger router

Cheers

Bob
Just adding that i have followed up on the Carbitool situation with the top mount bearing flush bit and the maximum cutter length for 1/4' router is 19mm....
I was hoping there might be one still laying around befor they were discontinued..But no chance.. Apparently carbitool take them off the shelves of the retailers if they are no longer available.
So anyway , ventured out to Carb-a-tec and picked up one from the CMT range with a 1 1/4" cutter length....perfect.

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:09 am

Grant ,
Thanks for that info .I will get onto Carba-tec ,pronto !

As you can tell , I know virtually shag all about routers/trimmers , so your advice is appreciated.

Why don't these trimmers come with speed control ?

Cheers , Craig