1/4 " router/trimmer

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Craig
Admin

1/4 " router/trimmer

Post by Craig » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:31 am

I made this post on Gratay's" 1/2 router thread " , but rather than hijack have put it here.

I have a trip to Tamworth this Monday ,and on my shopping list is a 1/4 " router . I have a 1/2" Bosch for the table.

What I would like to know is , should I get a little plunge router or laminate trimmer ? I'm thinking of something like the Makita . I have my Dremmel and it's jigs to do rosettes ,binding and purfling channels at the moment and am quite happy with the set up. I'm thinking it's use to be for things like neck extension pockets and the like ? I don't want a massive one like my Bosch .

Bob has recommended the Makita , but I see there are 4 different model trimmers . I've also noticed they make a Maktec ?

Any recommended models or brands ?

Cheers , Craig

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:44 am

Maktec is the home handyman model. Cheaper than the Makita range which is the heavy duty tradesman line.

We've got one of each. The Maktec lives in the binding jig and the Makita does everyhing else including mortise and tenon joints.

It seems to be fine for that job. I do have trouble sourcing 1/4 shank top
bearing flush trim bits that are long enough, but Ive just found that Linbide make them. We have a Carbitool bit at present but it no longer appears in their catalogue.

I's go for the mini-trimmer Craig particularly if you have another larger router

Cheers

Bob

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:53 pm

Bob , when you say "mini trimmer " , do you mean the blue plastic one ,I think it's number is 3707 , or the aluminium body one number 3701

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:58 pm

Yeah - it's the blue plastic one but it's quite old and I'm not sure of the model number.

The Maktec is new and is the MT370

Bob

Kim Strode
Blackwood

1/4" Router

Post by Kim Strode » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:08 pm

Craig,

I would recommend the Makita 3710. It's slightly more expensive than the other models, but has the advantage of an adjustable base angle.
Kim Strode
Daylesford, Australia

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:30 pm

Porter Cable for me. Its actually a 240 volt American machine I got from LMI.

gratay
Blackwood

Post by gratay » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:19 pm

makita trimmers are the industry standard...
I worked in places that have had all models of the makita trimmers and they all seem to work all day everyday without to many problems.

Bob interesting what you say about the top bearing flush trim bit....I drove around to no avail yesterday and went to a place I know has the carbitool range...and guess what? .....only the shorter model..
looks like a trip to carbatec I think...I know they have them for sure.

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:35 pm

Grant

I've got the Linbide bit on order from

Woodworking Warehouse in Braeside.

Bob

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:38 pm

I get my bits from the USA, cheaper even with freight and a much wider variety of first class bits such as CMT and Frued etc.

I think I got the last lot from http://routerbitworld.com/. They did not have what I wanted in stock despite what the web site said and they stuck what I wanted on back order and charged it out to me without even asking. All up, they buggered about finally getting my order to me around two weeks late AND they slugged rudely for shipping BUT, it was still much cheaper than dealing local AND they have or can get what I want which is a big head start on local vendors as well.

Good place to look for those 1/8" shaft downward spiral bits for inlay too but I have not bothered cause I got some from Stewi

Cheers

Kim

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:57 pm

Thanks for your help guys . I'll see what models Tamworth has to offer . I know I could get it on line , but I want it tomorrow,,,,,,literally :lol:

Cheers , Craig

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:06 am

I've got the Maktec laminate trimmer as well as their 1/2 router. I got the laminate trimmer for $109 so it was considerably less than the Makita. Dose what I want it to do. I would like to get another one so I don't have to keep swapping bases over.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:23 am

Not that it would do you any good Down Under, but I have been tempted to grab one or more of the ultra-cheap laminate trimmers sold at Harbor Freight under the "Chicago Electric" brand name. $29, often on sale for $19.

I hear a voice in one ear telling me "don't do it, the tool is pure crap!" (might be Kim :lol: ), and in the other ear, "it may be crap, but if only used for a few minutes at a time, maybe an hour a year total, it could stay in a particular setup..."

So far Kim is winning. I hate to promote shitty tools and provide a market for this crap. I also wonder if the collet would slip, and my $20 router would destroy wood worth more than a Porter Cable, Bosch, or Makita unit.

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:12 am

:twisted: Gooooood it's working :twisted:

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:26 am

Dennis, a friend of mine needed to finish a project and ran over to HF to pick up a cheap router. It work for a bit and then it didn't. No reason we could find. Not worth the hassle. And considering the price of gas (diesel in my case) these days. you'll save money not running back and forth getting it replaced when it quits on you the same day you buy it.

I have a PC 310, the Bosch Colt and a Ridgid R2400 laminate trimmer. Either the Colt or the R2400 will become a dedicated rosette maker. I haven't decided. I've used the Colt a bit, but I haven't broken out the R2400 yet, too many other things to do at the moment.

I've been tooling up for several years now, starting from, well nothing. My monthly play budget is anemic to say the least. I went the cheap route once thinking that this was a wise move, little money and I get what I want/need and will never do it again. I have a Ryobi 9" bandsaw that I about loath. The blades aren't worth what they charge, you can only get them from Home Depot because they are an odd size. The frame flexes when you tension the blade. The guides are a POS. It wasn't worth the $99 I spent. I truly wish I hadn't spent the money and saved up for something better. I spend a lot of time cruising Craig's List and eBay for what I need at a price I can justify spending.

Dennis, listen to Kim, he's right.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:35 am

gratay wrote:I drove around to no avail yesterday and went to a place I know has the carbitool range...and guess what? .....only the shorter model..
looks like a trip to carbatec I think...I know they have them for sure.
I get my cutters from here. Good service and they use express post

http://www.apworkshop.com.au/

Cheers Martin

gratay
Blackwood

Post by gratay » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:58 pm

thanks everyone for all the router bit suppliers contacts. :wink:

Richard
Myrtle

Post by Richard » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:04 pm

Dennis Leahy wrote:Not that it would do you any good Down Under, but I have been tempted to grab one or more of the ultra-cheap laminate trimmers sold at Harbor Freight under the "Chicago Electric" brand name. $29, often on sale for $19.
A similar model is sold here by TradeTools Direct (http://www.tradetools.com.au/). It isn't listed on their website yet but I picked one up in store a while back. Replaced a metal-bodied version which was around $100 but as solidly built as an any. The new version appears to have an identical collet setup etc., so I'd imagine they only cut costs with cheaper electricals and casing.

I paid $58 for the new model but I think that was a sale price. To me they're a viable alternative to the 'brandnames' for the kind of low usage and light-duty work most of us put them through. TradeTools are going after tradies, not the budget DIY crowd like Bunnies, so to me with a one year warranty thrown in they're a reasonably safe bet for the price.

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:46 pm

Not long back from Tamworth . I didn't see a Maktec anywhere. Eventually found Makita at Gasweld. They had two models . I bought the 3710 at Kim's suggestion as it has a swivel base ( cheers Kim). I picked it up for $250 cash , which was cheaper than any online deal.

I haven't had time to have a good look at it yet , but it seems to be O.K. ,although I would have liked it a tad lighter.

My other Makita stuff is still going strong after many years use , so I figure the trimmer should be good.

Also picked up a 1/4 " shank 3 mm. bit for it ( thanks Bob )

I'll explore what I can get up to with it tomorrow.

The whole darn family ( and their friends ) came on the trip . I'm a bit knackered. :lol:

Appreciate all your help guys.

Cheers Craig

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:56 am

Craig L wrote: I haven't had time to have a good look at it yet , but it seems to be O.K. ,although I would have liked it a tad lighter.
My Porter Cable 310 is a heavy machine but I find the weight helps with stability when Im routing binding channels with my williams style jig.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:01 am

Craig L wrote: The whole darn family ( and their friends ) came on the trip . I'm a bit knackered. :lol:
Mate youve broken one of the first rules of luthiery..NEVER take your wife of family with you when you go tool or wood shopping.

The procedure at my house when I go shopping is to make sure I come home while the boss is out. If she is home I make sure that I kill the car engine just before the house and quietly coast the car into the garage. Once there I do a quick scout to check the coast is clear and then quickly transfer the booty directly to the workshop. The workshop and garage are linked by a special shopping door for this purpose.

Cheers Martin

WaddyT
Blackwood

Post by WaddyT » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:28 am

Preferably, after dark. Fortunately I have a good humidity controlled environment at my office. I have about 5 guitars worth of wood here, waiting to be shuttled to the shop. I hate daylight savings time. Hard to stay at work until after dark.
Waddy

Build Albums 12 done - 1 in process

Clip for #1 Barrios' "Una Limosna por el Amor de Dios" - Not me playing

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:08 am

I dont start work untill it gets dark. Currently 1.05am out here at my "office", 200km off the coast of Western Australia.

Welcome to the forum Waddy

Cheers Martin

WaddyT
Blackwood

Post by WaddyT » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:14 am

Thanks, Martin.. No wonder you keep such weird hours. I guess it's hard to do much work on guitars out there. What kind of a rotation do you have?
Waddy

Build Albums 12 done - 1 in process

Clip for #1 Barrios' "Una Limosna por el Amor de Dios" - Not me playing

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:07 am

On a two week rotation on this job but on most jobs I work a well from start to finish. Can vary from 2 to 4 weeks on the rig.

Not much tonewood out here but plenty of pallets. Might knock myself up a palletwood guitar.

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:59 am

Hey ! Welcome here Waddy !

It's first thing in the morning over here ( sleep still in eyes ), and I thought I'd clicked on the wrong bloody forum :lol:

Great to have you with us mate

Cheers , Craig