Pricing repair work

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Allen
Blackwood

Pricing repair work

Post by Allen » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:36 pm

In the last week I've been asked twice to do some repair work on finishes. Both times it was something just small, and I did it for nothing. Now I've been asked if I will refinish a guitar. I haven't seen it yet, so have no idea of the condition, or if I'm willing to do it. But if it's something I feel that I would want to tackle, what do I charge?

I know how long I spend to get the finish on a new instrument, and if I was to charge out my time for the salary I make at work, it would put the cost between $400 - $500. Not including materials.

When it's a hobby, I don't care how long it takes, as its relaxing time, and if something stuffs up, then I just deal with when I feel like it. When someone expects a time line, and quality repair/warranty etc. this is a completely different animal. Not to mention taking away from "Me Time" that I place a very high value on.

I guess my dilemma is that while I may not really want to take on a job like this, sometimes I find it hard to say no. It also widens the number of people that are exposed to my work, so it's marketing in a round about manner.

If it was a car that someone wanted repaired I know exactly what it would cost, but when it comes to an instrument I haven't got a clue.

Anyone have an idea what people charge for stripping and refinishing an instrument? How about what is charged for putting a finish on a new instrument?
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:05 pm

Allen my friend this may be helpful to you.

In the states the two finishers that I use charge $350 - $375 for a polyester or cat urethane finish. This is a clear gloss finish and these prices presuppose that the guitar has been prepped and sanded to 220 by the builder. The price does include pore filling with epoxy.

Now this does not include removing the old finish and repairing dents etc. There will also be the issue of reinstalling a bridge (which finishers here don't touch) and neck. In fact you may also have to remove the bridge and neck, nut perhaps too.

So in my way of thinking a refinish is a much bigger job, potentially, then finishing a new and clean, prepped guitar and then letting the builder do final assembly.

I can see how this is a minimum $500 - $600 endeavor and probably a pain in the arse even at that price.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:26 pm

The more that I think about it, the more that it does seem that way Hesh. And the price you quote would be what I would expect for an instrument prepped to that point. Time is worth something, but it seems very few are all that willing to pay for it.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:35 pm

And I think if you do it too cheaply every bugger will be knocking on your door once they hear how "reasonable" your prices are. (which will cut further into your "ME" time.)

I agree with Hesh with the price. $5-600 is in the ballpark.

The only repair work we'll do on other peoples instruments are setups, nuts and saddles and fret work. There are generally no unexpected surprises and people will pay a reasonable amount for the time you put into this sort of work.

Bob

Urban Sludgewater
Wandoo

Post by Urban Sludgewater » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:18 am

I do repairs and mods, but I don't make a habit of doing too much of them, or it quickly becomes drudgery, ya know?

I charge $45 an hour for shop time, not including parts and materials. That is the figure I arrived at so that, when I say, "This is how mch I charge," I'd be happy if they said yes, and not give a hoot if they say no! I have the same problem in trying to price work on the fly or by the job, but if I think about what I need to do and how long it will take me in a manner and pace I like, I'm purty durn accurate.

The last job like this I did was a bass that needed complete stripping and refinishing, (It had been left in an attic in Texas and the inside of the case had literally melted off all over the axe...). Anyway, it took right at 11 hours, so... yep - $495, and I'd say the guy got a bargain!

Urb
It don't mean a thang, if it ain't got that swang...

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:08 am

Thanks for the responses guys. I think he said it was a Washburn, and perhaps he mentioned an electric. I'm going to do my level best to not get involved with it, or if so, then it's going to be worth my while. I don't want this to turn into a job, I've already got one of those. :roll:
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Urban Sludgewater
Wandoo

Post by Urban Sludgewater » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:55 am

I hear ya - Truth be told, the most satisfying version of this I ever did was an electric that I really and truly didn't want to have to screw with all the finish removal and sanding of; so I told the guy I'd spray it, if he strips it, sands it, and pore seals it - And he said yes! Now that was a pretty fun job - Nothin' but sunburst for me!

:P

Urb
It don't mean a thang, if it ain't got that swang...

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

Post by graham mcdonald » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:27 am

Allen,

Avoid getting involved in stripping back old finishes. If you have the time to do the spraying, and that doesn't eat into your building time (which is what you enjoy) , charge them at the same hourly rate you get at work once they have done all the prep work. And really try to talk people out of refinishing acoustics. Much more trouble than they are worth

cheers

graham
Graham McDonald
http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com