Dust Masks

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

steve roberts
Blackwood

Dust Masks

Post by steve roberts » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:59 pm

Hi all
Has anyone found a solution to wearing dust masks and glasses at the same time without fogging up the glasses? I have tried every type of mask i can find but thay all fog my glasses up so i end up taking off the mask - not good!
I would really appreciate hearing about any mask that works with glasses or a trick to stop the glasses fogging up. After a stern warning from my doctor i need to find a solution soon. Many thanks
Regards Steve

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Re: Dust Masks

Post by 56nortondomy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:05 pm

Steve, there's not much you can do with p2 paper masks they'll always fog up, you can use a canister mask with a p2 filter in it, i have a sundstrom and use that quite a bit. Not sure how much they are, i get mine for free. Wayne

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:05 pm

Sounds like a poor seal around the nose Steve. I haven't got the number of the product off hand but 3m do a mask with an exhalation valve in the front so all the 'hot' moist air exits the front rather than either side of your nose and onto your glasses.
Found it, it's their R85 series masks, they have three models in this range and all have slightly different uses but most handle sanding dust.
Last edited by Nick on Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:06 pm

I don't seem to have that trouble Steve but maybe it is a temperature thing. Have you looked at positive air masks?

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

DaveW
Blackwood

Post by DaveW » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:23 pm

Hi Steve
I have just the powered one from Carbatec ,costs about $100 and it seems to alleviate the problem as it constantly blows air over the glasses because lets face it you will never get a perfect seal on an oral nasal type
it works really well,if your doctor has said something mate get the complete hood ,cant be to careful about your health !!!!!!!
Dave
The Older I Get The Better I was ?

DaveW
Blackwood

Post by DaveW » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:26 pm

The Older I Get The Better I was ?

Phil Mailloux
Myrtle

Post by Phil Mailloux » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:40 pm

I use my 3M 6000 series half face respirator with the dust filters on it. Its heavier and more tiring to wear over long sessions than a paper mask but i've never been able to wear those cheap things without fogging my glasses either.

I don't get the point of the carbatec powered mask, why would anyone want an artificial air supply while you're sanding??
OzBassForum.com
MaillouxBasses.com

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:21 pm

I use the 3M 7502:
3M_7502-2013_D70_7069.jpg
3M_7502-2013_D70_7069.jpg (52.06 KiB) Viewed 17136 times
The exhaled air is directed downwards and doesn't get near your glasses. In addition, this is a very comfortable mask, I hardly feel it when I wear it, and seals perfectly (at least with my face). This is the medium sized one, and although my face is rather small I can imagine to use also the large sized, but I think the small sized would be really too small, or at least not that comfortable.
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:13 pm

Pretty sure it says on the back of the 3M 6000s packaging not to use them when dealing with large volumes of dust/ fine particles...I remember this because I bought one the other day

I picked one up for general spray painting and light wood work...

Stu

Crafty Fox
Blackwood

Post by Crafty Fox » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:14 pm

I use mono-goggles (Ski goggles) which have a good snug seal around my nose etc, so they don't fog up. And I can wear my glasses under them if needed
Ken

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:24 pm

Crafty Fox wrote:I use mono-goggles (Ski goggles) which have a good snug seal around my nose etc, so they don't fog up. And I can wear my glasses under them if needed

G'day Ken , I can see why you call yourself "Crafty Fox " You must really make a spectacle of yourself :lol: Luckily I'm not old enough that I need glasses,, :wink:
Craig Lawrence

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:37 pm

beer-goggles-can-be-deadly-27551.jpg
beer-goggles-can-be-deadly-27551.jpg (96.9 KiB) Viewed 17075 times
Martin

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:10 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :cl :cl :cl

For sanding and general shop work, I've been using a North CFR-1 respirator for a while now. They're a 1/2 mask configuration with a single replaceable filter. Because the mask itself is reusable they are made to be far more comfy than any fully disposable equivalent and they also seal really well so work pretty good for me...and my glasses. I had to get mine from Ebay USA but if you get a few boxes of filters at the same time it works out OK and they are far cheaper than any alternatives with comparable filtering capability.

Of course if painting with nitro etc, then you need to step up to the appropriate twin cartridge or better, but for wood work I reckon these are pretty good functionally, for comfort, and for affordability.

Cheers

Kim

Crafty Fox
Blackwood

Post by Crafty Fox » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:41 am

Craig wrote:
Crafty Fox wrote:I use mono-goggles (Ski goggles) which have a good snug seal around my nose etc, so they don't fog up. And I can wear my glasses under them if needed

G'day Ken , I can see why you call yourself "Crafty Fox " You must really make a spectacle of yourself :lol: Luckily I'm not old enough that I need glasses,, :wink:
Haha, yes, very crafty. I actually used the ski goggles initially for router work since the dust masks caused my safety glasses to fog up. But yes, age has shortened my arms so much that I can't easily read things at arms length now. Mind you I can read street signs long before I get to them, good for controlled directional changes around town!
I think I'll track down some of the masks that Kim's using.
Ken

steve roberts
Blackwood

Post by steve roberts » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:54 am

Hi Guys
Thanks for all your feedback and help. I've decided my health warranted a few extra $s and have purchased a Paftec Clean Space respirator from Carbatec - see photo below. I've used it for a couple of days now in a very dusty environment and it seems to work really well and my glasses didn't fog up so I think my problem is solved (but I must say I know what Darth Vader must have felt like breathing through his mask!).
Regards,
Steve
Attachments
IMG_5872 - face mask 1.JPG