Feedback please.

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Re: Feedback please.

Post by jeffhigh » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:29 am

I really like the look or the Ken Parker heel less neck
http://kenparkerarchtops.com/archtop.html

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:31 am

Yep, if you can get your head around the missing heel then the benefits are there. I also considered a join like the Matons (I have a old broken F10 that I may do a Kim job on one day just for the brand) or Trevors Mk 1 but in the end tried to get sort of half way, to have at least some sort of smoother transition between neck and body (and continue to think of alternatives). Selling is something I certainly consider but also I try not to let that totally dictate my end results, I love building guitars but can make a living in other ways that keep me interested. I wonder what THIS gentleman's sales are like, he uses the Maton look one with visible screws like a Tele in the back of the body and well, for a hand made guitar he is cheap.

Jim

Edit. They do suit that Archtop style don't they Jeff.
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

n~dl
Myrtle

Post by n~dl » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:11 am

I love the viol da gamba-style tailpiece joint that Ken Parker uses. I wanted to attempt one on my recent archtop but didn't have the time to figure out how to execute it (amid the other things I'd been trying for the first time). His guitars are certainly some of the most unusual, unique guitars on the market, and I think that's what sells them. One more oddity on one of his guitars doesn't stand out like one on a more traditional looking instrument.

I remember reading some interview someplace or another with one of the founding guys from Santa Cruz in the early days of starting up the company. I'm probably getting this a bit wrong, but the gist of it was that he was bringing some guitars around and trying to sell people on them, but scalloped braces were all that were on anyone's mind and since his were tapered it didn't matter how great it sounded, nobody would touch them. Guitar players, man ¯\(°_o)/¯
-Nate L

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:00 pm

Yeah, I thought of Ken Parker's designs too - but thought the whole design might be too far afield from what Jim is doing.

But then in reference once more to the Fender design that inspired you to a heel-less neck, I thought of Graham McDonald and his Bouzouki's too. This was the best image I could find on his site -
t_tulip_03.jpg
t_tulip_03.jpg (77.22 KiB) Viewed 5570 times
So it has and is being done. I pointed out why I thought Gabriel's work worked earlier and the same could be said again for Ken Parker. The whole design is integrated so well, it is not a factor in and of itself alone.

I think you've an uphill battle to convince the punters perhaps, just as undoubtedly those above have had and likely still do, but that should not stop you.

Jeremy.

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:46 pm

And one more Jim... !

Randomly came across this one today that 'looks' much more like yours, but I doubt it is attached in the same fashion. Possibly just a set neck but don't know for sure... A Matti Custom Ukulele - made in Qld? Had not heard of them until today.
matti_custom_uke_2.jpg
More proof that they are "out there"... :wink:

Jeremy.

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:13 am

Cheers Jeremy, more food for thought in that one. A few more millimeters longer and it would be a heel.

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield