What's happening in your shed?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Allen
Blackwood

What's happening in your shed?

Post by Allen » Sun May 26, 2013 6:15 pm

I've had a weekend of tying up loose ends and getting several projects to the finishing stages.

First up was a install of a DRO (digital read out) onto my milling machine. Lot's of head scratching and looking at bits and pieces that are sent as part of the mounting hardware, but as usual, they mostly don't work for the job you need them to do. So I had to make most of the mounting components to fit my particular mill. Good thing I have a mill to make them. :D
Milling Machine with DRO.jpg
Then there was an awful lot of pore filling, scraping and sanding to get 4 instruments ready for lacquer.

From right to left is a Milo and Ancient Spruce concert, a Tiger Myrtle and Western Red Cedar slot head tenor, a Blackheart Sassafras and Ancient Spruce concert, and finally a Blackwood and Bear Claw Sitka slot head tenor pineapple.
Work In Progress 26-05-2013.jpg
It's nice to have my workbench clear at the end of the week. Might even be able to blow some of the accumulated dust out of the corners tomorrow.

Now, for all of you that don't think that they have anything worth while in starting a new post, here's your chance. Just a picture or two and tell us what's going on.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Re: What's happening in your shed?

Post by 56nortondomy » Sun May 26, 2013 6:27 pm

Ive got a few projects on the go at the moment, hard to get the time to finish any off. Got a Ziricote OM that's going to get closed up tomorrow, a Honduran r/w Hauser that's started and a cocobolo and redwood that's almost done. Wayne
Attachments
IMGP2071_598x900.JPG
IMGP2080_1200x797.JPG
IMGP2110_598x900.JPG
IMGP2100_1200x797.JPG

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Sun May 26, 2013 6:48 pm

The only thing happening in my shed is ZILCH :oops: :oops: :oops: I'm 75% done on my latest customers Instrument and have to put things on hold for a bit as we're moving house, or trying to, we've bought a smaller dwelling BUT!! it still has a big garage/workshop, settles in about 5 weeks and we're just sprucing this one up a bit before we get it on the market. So, guitars are taking a back seat at the moment, still hoping to finish my customers on time, have to see how i go. :roll: :roll:
Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Sun May 26, 2013 7:26 pm

I finished painting and plastering and moving into my shed. Still have to put the door on and build a little humidity booth if I can't stop the humidity swinging wildly in my half of the shed (current swing is from 44-66% without a door- the roller door in the other half of the shed makes it annoying to control the humidity in my workshop)

However with a workshop door (and a proper seal around the door) I'm hoping I can pull the swing back to something more reasonable)

Stu

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Sun May 26, 2013 8:39 pm

Allen wrote:So I had to make most of the mounting components to fit my particular mill. Good thing I have a mill to make them. :D
:lol:
That's a nice "little" mill you have here Allen. I'm green with envy. :twisted: ;)

So, what's happening in my shed? Having a coffee right now. 8)
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Sun May 26, 2013 10:26 pm

charangohabsburg wrote:
Allen wrote:coffee. 8)
Handmade coffee machine anyone? Simply Dial in the number of coffees desired by using the rotary device from an old telephone...

http://con.ca/news/8192

P Bill
Blackwood

Post by P Bill » Mon May 27, 2013 11:53 am

I have a lot on at the moment.

3 U Basses. I'm waiting for the artwork. One of the fellas from OzBass is a graphic/tattoo artist. I told him I wanted
"Goanna Brand Cigars" with federation styling, gold medals from Paris and Rome and a big goanna. The label folds over the angled side.

Another 13in archtop. 25in scale, cutaway, WRC top and the sides 50mm ( the last were 60mm )

2 EUBs, one is sold (3 this year) and the other is stock.

P1010002 (446x800).jpg
P1010002 (446x800).jpg (216.62 KiB) Viewed 22576 times
P1010003 (532x800).jpg
P1010003 (532x800).jpg (286.7 KiB) Viewed 22576 times
P1010005 (800x613).jpg
P1010005 (800x613).jpg (304.93 KiB) Viewed 22576 times
P1010009 (279x800).jpg
P1010009 (279x800).jpg (164.78 KiB) Viewed 22576 times
P1010010 (214x800).jpg
P1010010 (214x800).jpg (122.93 KiB) Viewed 22576 times
P1010013 (430x800).jpg
P1010013 (430x800).jpg (214.23 KiB) Viewed 22576 times
"Were you drying your nails or waving me good bye?" Tom Waits

Bill

P Bill
Blackwood

Post by P Bill » Mon May 27, 2013 12:30 pm

I should add. The goanna label will be on the head and as a back strap.
"Were you drying your nails or waving me good bye?" Tom Waits

Bill

auscab
Blackwood

Post by auscab » Mon May 27, 2013 4:47 pm

Nice mill Allen . What will you be milling ?

Ive been spinning dishes,
I started work on this two years ago, raised it, put a speed controller on it ,
then built the table that sits in front of it.
At last !! I have been cutting test dishes this week and last.
I had some sort of dream that it was only going to take me
a few months to do. It still needs a bit of tweaking. I have
to fine tune the method of measuring and setting up for the
different size spherical radius, and a method for testing them.
I have that sorted , just have to buy a nice depth gauge.
Also hope to get the finish a bit smoother off the finish cut.
I hope to do furniture work on it as well as spin dishes and
sand the top and back radius to the rim of the guitar sides
while the body is held in the mold. As well as sand up batches of braces quickly.
Attachments
IMG_0028.jpg
IMG_0543.jpg
IMG_0575.jpg
IMG_0608.jpg
ed lathe.jpg

68matts
Blackwood

Post by 68matts » Mon May 27, 2013 5:15 pm

Bloody hell Rob, that's one serious dish making jig. Are you looking to corner the world wide radius dish supply market :D
Matt

colburge
Blackwood

Post by colburge » Mon May 27, 2013 5:17 pm

Now that's how ya make a dish!!!

Col

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon May 27, 2013 5:47 pm

That makes my potters wheel with a radius dish in it look positively anaemic Rob. But I'm not sure I could devote that much space to your beast.

Milling machines are just so much fun to have in the shop. I'm amazed at what they can do that you just wouldn't have thought of before you had one. For instance did you know that you can thickness the hardest of hardwoods that just take forever on the drum sander by using a face mill with cutters designed to machine aluminium? Cuts wood like it was cheese and leaves a polished surface. And no burning of sandpaper.

You also start to get a different perspective on how close is close enough when you can accurately machine something down to 0.001mm.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Dave
Myrtle

Post by Dave » Tue May 28, 2013 5:31 am

Allen wrote:I've had a weekend of tying up loose ends and getting several projects to the finishing stages.

First up was a install of a DRO (digital read out) onto my milling machine. Lot's of head scratching and looking at bits and pieces that are sent as part of the mounting hardware, but as usual, they mostly don't work for the job you need them to do. So I had to make most of the mounting components to fit my particular mill. Good thing I have a mill to make them. :D
Milling Machine with DRO.jpg
Then there was an awful lot of pore filling, scraping and sanding to get 4 instruments ready for lacquer.

From right to left is a Milo and Ancient Spruce concert, a Tiger Myrtle and Western Red Cedar slot head tenor, a Blackheart Sassafras and Ancient Spruce concert, and finally a Blackwood and Bear Claw Sitka slot head tenor pineapple.
Work In Progress 26-05-2013.jpg
It's nice to have my workbench clear at the end of the week. Might even be able to blow some of the accumulated dust out of the corners tomorrow.

Now, for all of you that don't think that they have anything worth while in starting a new post, here's your chance. Just a picture or two and tell us what's going on.
Allen love the guitars especially the Tiger Myrtle (WOW!) and the Ancient Spruce fantastic!

Great builds :)

All the best
Dave

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Tue May 28, 2013 8:10 am

As usual, your Ukes are stunning, Allen.
Rob.....um.....wow
I decided I need to concentrate on one or two projects in order to get anywhere.

So I'm concentrating on this tenor I started while back. I want to try new things with each build, so I'm working on a more intricate binding scheme here with the BWB purfling more prevalent. I can see a couple gaps, but they are on the black, so I ought to be able to hide them pretty easily.....

So far I'm happy with it. It'll also have a tailpiece and floating bridge, so a couple other new things to try on this one....
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Also made a rosette out of plastic for the first time for another build.....
image.jpg
I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am....

Cheers,
Nick

https://www.facebook.com/pages/DMI-hand ... 744?ref=hl

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Tue May 28, 2013 2:17 pm

Good on you Allen.

I wouldn't even have to know what that was Rob to think it was great.

New top wheel bearings for my old saw.

Jim
002.JPG
002.JPG (82.55 KiB) Viewed 22362 times
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Tue May 28, 2013 6:20 pm

Nice mill Allen, what brand is your DRO? Nothing like them for accurate machining and repeatabilty, you'll find that even drilling a set of holes ( tuners....hell any holes!) now become spaced EXACTLY because you want to work to that accuracy, even when they don't need to be! :oops:
Not doing bugger all in my shed at the moment, the weather's too crap to even contemplate spraying the 356. I've had the last two weeks off from work too but I've been helping out a mate set up his new brewery by welding all his stainless pipework together for him. jack of all trades....master of none that's me :oops:
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

colburge
Blackwood

Post by colburge » Tue May 28, 2013 6:22 pm

Allen wrote:That makes my potters wheel with a radius dish in it look positively anaemic Rob. But I'm not sure I could devote that much space to your beast.

Milling machines are just so much fun to have in the shop. I'm amazed at what they can do that you just wouldn't have thought of before you had one. For instance did you know that you can thickness the hardest of hardwoods that just take forever on the drum sander by using a face mill with cutters designed to machine aluminium? Cuts wood like it was cheese and leaves a polished surface. And no burning of sandpaper.

You also start to get a different perspective on how close is close enough when you can accurately machine something down to 0.001mm.
Very jealous Allen, I really would love a mill. When I was a diesel fitter we had a workshop full of Mills, lathes etc. and you soon realize how handy they are when you don't have access to them anymore :(

Enjoy it!

Cheers

Col

colburge
Blackwood

Post by colburge » Tue May 28, 2013 6:25 pm

Nick wrote:Nice mill Allen, what brand is your DRO? Nothing like them for accurate machining and repeatabilty, you'll find that even drilling a set of holes ( tuners....hell any holes!) now become spaced EXACTLY because you want to work to that accuracy, even when they don't need to be! :oops:
Not doing bugger all in my shed at the moment, the weather's too crap to even contemplate spraying the 356. I've had the last two weeks off from work too but I've been helping out a mate set up his new brewery by welding all his stainless pipework together for him. jack of all trades....master of none that's me :oops:
Brewery :dru Now that is a great project to help out on. I hope you are gonna get paid in a lifetime of beer

Cheers

Col

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Tue May 28, 2013 6:32 pm

colburge wrote: Brewery :dru Now that is a great project to help out on. I hope you are gonna get paid in a lifetime of beer

Cheers

Col
This one will be a cashy Col, everytime I've done a job for him previously I've been paid in beer but this job, I'd have to be drinking solidly for a year to get through the equivalent value in beer. Tis nice beer though, predominantly English and American ale styles.
"Jesus Loves You."

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue May 28, 2013 6:53 pm

After talking to several people that went for the cheapest option out there and their stories of grief dealing with ebay sellers who were only interested in the initial sale, I went with a highly recommended vendor out of the USA.

The DRO is a 3 axis Easson unit from DROPROS.

When it came time to order the kit, all I did was send them a website link to a mill that is sold in the USA by another name, with the specs, and they picked out the correct scales for me. Gave them a call with my credit card details and the package was in the post the next day. Shipment arrived in 7 working days.

I had to ask some advice about some dual voltage issues and they were back to me as quick as can be expected with the time difference. I will reiterate that their service is fantastic. The manuals are actually written by a bloke who works in a shed like the rest of us, and speaks english as his only language. Came with instructional DVD's on all the functions, so even a complete dolt can work out how to do the most complicated task.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

auscab
Blackwood

Post by auscab » Tue May 28, 2013 8:12 pm

Allen wrote:
For instance did you know that you can thickness the hardest of hardwoods that just take forever on the drum sander by using a face mill with cutters designed to machine aluminium? Cuts wood like it was cheese and leaves a polished surface. And no burning of sandpaper.

It sounds like it will be a great tool Allen . I would love the workshop space for a mill and a lathe. Great for the hard timbers , that would be good to watch. and I imagine fantastic for jig and tool making in Brass and Aluminium .

68matts wrote:Bloody hell Rob, that's one serious dish making jig. Are you looking to corner the world wide radius dish supply market :D
I don't know about cornering any market while paying my bills here Matt :D I wouldn't mind seeing how fast I can produce a batch and figuring out what they cost to do and then see though. I have a stack of 24 to start off with.

What I would like to do is have a go at building 2 or 3 guitars at once , and have enough dishes to press braces and sand by hand ,and on the lathe at the ready. I want to blow the bending and joinery of the body part out of the way and get to the shaping of the braces part. when I build next time

Some of the other things I will do on it are some dished wine table tops . I have an order for a few serving trays , and funnily enough the first thing after I finish some dishes is ,I have a mate who has a job to reproduce some model T ford steering wheels 2 or 3 I think ? he has an original to copy and we will set it up to do them in cherry.

The cast section in the table that is in front of the lathe is off a mortiser. I have not taken pictures of the cutter set up but a router and or a saw set up sweep from left to right or the other way if I want. either across the straight front of the table for straight machining or across two pins set 800mm apart , as a long compass. I'm not using chisels while it's set up like this.I have to make a free standing tool rest for that. I will probably fit a second motor to the back which has a gearbox fitted with a 40 to 1 ratio . This lathe has a swing of about 2.1 meters. I don't think I ever want to do anything that big , with the 40 to 1 fitted it is a possibility though .

Thanks for the comments guys. Great looking work going on as well.
And Allen that Tiger Myrtle Uke is just stunning.

Dekka
Blackwood

Post by Dekka » Tue May 28, 2013 8:37 pm

I suffer major envy when I see what you guys have in your 'sheds'. :mrgreen:
In my shed (AKA car-port) I'm trying to finish an electric that I've been chipping away at for some time.
Unfortunately, it seems that any time I get a chance to squeeze some glue or spray some lacquer, Huey spots me and sends the drizzle.
At least I got a coat on before the rain.
Attachments
Stratish finish.1.JPG
Stratish finish.1.JPG (53.26 KiB) Viewed 22299 times
Stratish finish.2.JPG
Stratish finish.2.JPG (50.08 KiB) Viewed 22299 times
"Tuoba-esra si od I gnihtyreve."

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Tue May 28, 2013 10:12 pm

Allen wrote:After talking to several people that went for the cheapest option out there and their stories of grief dealing with ebay sellers who were only interested in the initial sale, I went with a highly recommended vendor out of the USA.

The DRO is a 3 axis Easson unit from DROPROS.

When it came time to order the kit, all I did was send them a website link to a mill that is sold in the USA by another name, with the specs, and they picked out the correct scales for me. Gave them a call with my credit card details and the package was in the post the next day. Shipment arrived in 7 working days.

I had to ask some advice about some dual voltage issues and they were back to me as quick as can be expected with the time difference. I will reiterate that their service is fantastic. The manuals are actually written by a bloke who works in a shed like the rest of us, and speaks english as his only language. Came with instructional DVD's on all the functions, so even a complete dolt can work out how to do the most complicated task.
Thanks for the Link Allen, nice units and do all the possible operations for a good price! I've only ever used Newells which are very nice and trouble free units but are quite expensive.
"Jesus Loves You."

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Tue May 28, 2013 10:22 pm

Busy in my shop at the moment. I am mentoring a parlour acoustic build which is into week seventeen and I start another mentor build next Saturday. In the mean time I have almost finished the Stella small bodied acoustic, na OM using some quilted mahogany, my take on a mini maton for my daughter and a restoration of the old Jumbo. I received a suitable top for the Lyon and Healy restore this week so I will be into that shortly. I am also going to run in conjunction with Kingfisher Furniture a Ukulele Building Course and it starts on the 22nd of June. Joel at Kingfisher is a fine furniture maker and he is a passionate about building furniture as I am about building stringed instruments. There will be pictures later on after the course has finished.

Very nice mill Allen. It will be a very handy device and you will get the best out of it I bet.

Some great builds going on keep up the good work!

Here are a few pictures of whats on the bench:
Attachments
linings.JPG
j 88.JPG
glue up fingerboard 4.JPG
stella 1a.JPG
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

liam_fnq
Blackwood

Post by liam_fnq » Wed May 29, 2013 6:05 am

That little slot head's got a pretty bridge Alan.