Still MORE RH Issues

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

nnickusa
Blackwood

Still MORE RH Issues

Post by nnickusa » Fri May 10, 2013 11:15 am

OK, having got jack of not being able to do any work yet this year, due to average RH around 80% up here, I built myself a small dry room....

1.2m x 2m x 2m

It isn't insulated, but it IS very well sealed, and all the gaps have been filled. I putmin two benches, which will double as go-bar decks. It's on a slab and has a block base due to the fact that this area under the house has flooded before. If it goes more than the 450mm, it deserves to get wet.....

Here's the problem. I have a small de-humidifier, which in the past wo days has removed about 1/2l of water from the room, I've tried a heater, and a spot light, but neither of my hygrometers measures lower than 68%..I've ordered two more, as my two are always at least 10% apart....

I'm going to Brissie on Sunday to have Mother's Day dinner with my wife and daughter(who is in Brissie) and there is a delonghi dehumidifier for sale on the bay, that I could pick up on the way. It is a bigger unit than what I have now, not to mention half the price....

Would a bigger dehumidifier make the room dryer, faste ad more efficiently? I'm struggling with this RH issue up here, and sort of only get a week or two a year.....My dry box goes low, but, as I learned last year, I can't ever open it to manipulate the materials inside....

It does have a door and weather stripping to seal it now....
Pics

Oh, I also have four Damp-rid buckets in there....
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am....

Cheers,
Nick

https://www.facebook.com/pages/DMI-hand ... 744?ref=hl

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Re: Still MORE RH Issues

Post by jeffhigh » Fri May 10, 2013 11:43 am

I have a Dimplex which I really like set up to drain to the exterior
I only use it when I am bracing or gluing on plates etc but it brings down the RH qite effectively in a 3.5 metre square room not very well sealed

1/2 a litre in two days does not sound like much to me

Check the specs on any dehumidifier before you buy, when I was looking some had a range only down to 50 or 55

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Fri May 10, 2013 12:46 pm

Did check, as far as I was able, and most of the info suggests that they will run down to 40%, at which point, they have an auto shutoff.....

Of course, the other option is to sit with 4-6 sides bent and tops and backs ready for bracing and hit them all in a 2-3 week timeframe later in the year.....Not too keen on that option, as I do have to keep my day job...... :roll:

Cheers,
Nick

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Fri May 10, 2013 1:14 pm

The Automatic control delongi I looked at was able to be set for 50, 60 or 70, I didn't want to be limited to that.
The manual ones can probably get lower
The dimplex can be set in 5% increments
Last edited by jeffhigh on Fri May 10, 2013 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Fri May 10, 2013 1:15 pm

Looks like you and your wife should be sitting in there with only towels on, spreading camphor on the bricks Nick :wink:
Can't advise on the dehumidifier but just wanted to say it looks like a nice elegant solution to your problem. :cl :cl
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

liam_fnq
Blackwood

Post by liam_fnq » Fri May 10, 2013 1:30 pm

My dimplex will pull 6-8L of water from my dry room (1.2x1m not well sealed) per day when it's wet outside to keep it at 45%.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Fri May 10, 2013 3:57 pm

My Delonghi fills the reservoir every single day. Whatever that is. 8 to 12 litres.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Fri May 10, 2013 4:29 pm

Bought the one on eBay. 20l tank, and reviews that I found are pretty good, tho they say it's a bit noisy.....That doesn't worry me too much. I only plan to run it a week or so at a time, when I'll try to close up 2 or 3 guitars.

Worth a try at $84. I just don't want to spend $400-800 on one of these....new....and the little one I have cost me $175, which was a waste of cash....clearly.

I figure that once the box is closed, I can leave it out, or stick it in my dry box......

Going to pick it up Sunday, as long as I hear from the seller in time, as we're going to Brissie....serendipitous.....

Oh, and Nick, my wife thinks I'm completely bonkers, tho she did paint the outside of the room....she does love a project....

Cheers,
Nick

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Sat May 11, 2013 6:00 am

As Allen said, but I have a hose coming out of mine running water to the outside of the workshop, unless I need to bottle it.
Taff

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Sat May 11, 2013 6:10 am

Hey Nick, what do you do when the sealed room runs out of air, is there a panic button near by? I have a plan for an aqualung system :lol:

I had a customer who I visited once and he showed me his sound proof recording/practice room he had built under the stairs of his flat, he said that it was sealed so good the he felt ill after a time due to lack of or stale air. He installed a small computer type fan to put air in the room.
Taff

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Sat May 11, 2013 7:56 am

:lol: Well, I guess I could always open the door and go outside.... :roll:

Maybe a breathing hose, if I ever experienced a problem.... :?

Honestly, I don't really expect to spend more than brief periods in the room. It's almost always nice, temperature-wise around here, it's just damp this year....

Cheers,
Nick

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Sat May 11, 2013 8:55 am

The old humidity debate! It's been very dry here in Townsville this past wet season compared to other years. I still could not build a stable guitar here though without my drying box and the air conditioned workshop. Got to have control over the building environment.

The bigger dehumidifier will set you up right Nick.

Cheers

Alan
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Sat May 11, 2013 9:28 am

Hi Nick,

I am in pretty much the same climate as you (Gold Coast). I have this really cheap small dehumidifier in a spare room. I have it connected with one of these http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=265. I have absolutely no problem keeping the room between 39-42 RH. Since it has cooled down a bit I have only had to empty it less than once a week and I think its only a couple of liters. Are you sure your hydrometer is correct? I have a couple in the room + the one on the controller just to be sure. The one I bought from stewmac seems to be the best.

I know mine is in an insulated house but the room itself is not sealed in any way so maybe comparable. I also don't run air conditioning.
Jeremy D

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Sat May 11, 2013 11:10 am

Alan, I'm hoping so. I think the little one I got is just a piece of shit, to be honest. Out it goes with the garage sale junk, and welcome the new one....

Jeremy, mate, I would love to have a room in the house, but, alas, she who must be obeyed has decreed otherwise :lol:

This ought to work once I get the new dehumidifier. It'll dial in soon enough. It's only a small space. Maybe none of my meters are worth a damn, and it's actually 25%RH :lol:

I should know by next weekend. Gonna chuck the three in progress in there Monday morning and see what happens by Saturday.

I also have two other hygrometers coming. Problem really is that there isn't a reliable way to test them, so far as I can see.....I do compare the results from the Byron observation station to my meters, but they are not consistent.... :pissed

Cheers,
Nick

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Sat May 11, 2013 11:21 am

I heard these are good http://www.amazon.com/Quality-Importers ... B000A3UBLA. I haven't had a need yet but I considered getting one.

P.S. I get a little grief about the room from time to time ;)
Jeremy D

GregL
Blackwood

Post by GregL » Sat May 11, 2013 11:32 am

Hi Nick,

I have one of these:

http://www.testoaus.com.au/product_deta ... ata_logger

and it seems to be reasonably accurate. You're welcome to borrow it if it will help.

Thanks,
GregL.

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Sat May 11, 2013 2:20 pm

Nick
If your new dehumidifier is any good it should easily manage a space that size. I have a relatively cheap Delonghi in a 6x3m unlined (but sealed) garage and it keeps me around 50% pretty well. It should be possible to hook up a drainage hose and run it outside. It will a lot easier than emptying the tank, and avoids the problem of it shutting down when the tank is full but the air is still moist. Be aware that it will make the room significantly warmer. The other Nick's suggestion of it doubling as a sauna could be a good one. I agree that it looks great, by the way.
Mark

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat May 11, 2013 2:42 pm

Hey Nick, you'll need a confined space work permit to enter that dry room.
Martin

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Sat May 11, 2013 2:43 pm

Greg, I might take you up on the loan. If I have at least one relatively reliablew reference, I can interpolate from that to see where mine are any good. Will get in touch thru the week. May pop round next weekend if that's any good for you?

Cheers, Mark. Was a builder for many years, and this was a 4 day project. I had that big sheet of plate glass left over from a job(OK measured wrong :oops: ) It would be an aweful little space to work in without a window.....

Reports during the week......Next weekend I may get to glue up some braces.... :cl

true enough Martin, hence the window.... :D

Cheers,
Nick

Mark Fogleman
Beefwood

Post by Mark Fogleman » Sat May 11, 2013 11:16 pm

Just a guess but could the issue be that the volume of air in the room is too small for the dehumidifier? As the temperature in the space increases from the dehumidifier, the RH drops but no substantial reduction in actual (absolute) water vapor happens. Your existing dehumidifier is probably doing its job but at a higher temp when the room is closed.

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Sun May 12, 2013 7:40 am

Hey Mark, I think that's not the issue in this case. The temperature only reached 25C, and the RH was still at around 70%.

Picking up the new DH today, and will see how we go....

Cheers,
Nick

GregL
Blackwood

Post by GregL » Sun May 12, 2013 9:44 am

Hi Nick,

Yep, next weekend should be fine. You can see Bobs wonderful curly blackwood creation at the same time!

Thanks,
GregL.

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Mon May 13, 2013 7:12 am

thanks Greg. Will be in touch later in the week. Be nice to have a close up with your guitar.

I am ready to declare myself weather independant. I stuck the dehumidifier in my little room when we got home last night, and this morning the humidity, even on my dodgy meter is 45%. All remaining the same, I'll be ready to start making guitars again next weekend.... :cl

Cheers,
Nick

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Mon May 13, 2013 8:19 pm

Now, here's a question.

The bits I've got ready, are around 2-3mm. How long do they need to be in the room, before I start gluing them up? 5 days OK?

Cheers,
Nick

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Mon May 13, 2013 8:33 pm

I'd leave them about a week.

Regards
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars