Binding jig router setup

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Bullet
Beefwood

Binding jig router setup

Post by Bullet » Sat May 04, 2013 7:34 pm

Hi all,

I have purchased the LMI binding jig and want to install my makita 3709 trimmer onto it.

Does anyone have a photo of the setup. The base of the trimmer is plastic but there are grub screws installed that holds a bottom plate onto it. So it might be as easy as replacing these with longer screws and drilling through the LMI aluminium base.

Any photos or suggestions appreciated.

Cheers Jason

Craig Bumgarner
Blackwood

Re: Binding jig router setup

Post by Craig Bumgarner » Sat May 04, 2013 8:00 pm

I'm away for the weekend and can't check until Monday, but my recollection is I took the Makita base off and made a custom base to with the LMI jig. I'll check and post pictures Monday.

BTW, I like this jig, it works very well.
Craig Bumgarner

Bumgarner Guitar Blog

liam_fnq
Blackwood

Post by liam_fnq » Sun May 05, 2013 10:23 am

I use the four M5 threads to mount everything to my trimmer bases. You can buy a shed load of extra bases off eBay cheap.

Craig Bumgarner
Blackwood

Post by Craig Bumgarner » Tue May 07, 2013 7:19 am

Here is a picture of my setup. Actually the router is a Bosch Colt, but I should think the Makita base is just screwed on too. I use the same holes as the original base. My guitars have a lot of arch, so I want the minimum of contact area, the small curved part. The larger part underneath is more of guard in case I should, in an evil moment, reach under with the router on. This arrangement has worked well through a number of guitars.
Binding jig, router base..jpg
Craig Bumgarner

Bumgarner Guitar Blog

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Tue May 07, 2013 10:22 am

Liam's Idea is great but be careful with the cheap lam trimmer bases you get off ebay. If you end up going down the ebay road don't buy from a seller under the banner of "XCELL" (green and white logo). I bought four bases through these guys and they were absolute shit. Some weren't 90 degrees to the base, most didn't have flat bases and therefore wobbled and some were just disfigured. I can post some pics if I haven't already thrown them out...
If you know someone who has had success with a particular ebay seller then go for it but the seller I used was no good and their feedback score was very high (95%). I just decided to wear the ridiculous price Makita wanted for their bases ($38-42) per each unit from Total Tools as I'd already wasted the equivalent of an official makita base by trying to save some money.

Stu

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Tue May 07, 2013 11:21 am

Here's my jig with a cheap Ryobi trimmer
Used longer machine screws though the support into the top part of the plastic base
Note the hose clamp above the plastic trimmer base. This acts as a stop to prevent the Laminate trimmer vibrating down.
Attachments
026 (768x1024).jpg

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed May 08, 2013 7:22 am

jeffhigh wrote: Note the hose clamp above the plastic trimmer base. This acts as a stop to prevent the Laminate trimmer vibrating down.
A good mod. On the Makitas there's a plastic clamp with a screw that can work loose.....not a good thing halfway through a cut.
Martin