Maleny Wood Expo

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Jeremy D
Admin

Maleny Wood Expo

Post by Jeremy D » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:24 pm

Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Maleny Wood Expo

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:34 am

They wont let me in.....they mumbled something about banning known wood hoarders.
Martin

steve_d
Gidgee

Post by steve_d » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:07 am

My mate & I are probably going up Saturday to have a browse around.

It's always a nice day out there and the pervading smell of saw-dust is pretty addictive.

Plus, one of the exhibitors will be displaying one of our solid body electric guitars.

The guitar itself is no great example of how to build guitars or anything, but it's made from a very tasty piece of Queensland Maple that he supplied to us.

Steve

EricDownunder
Blackwood

Post by EricDownunder » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:42 pm

Love Melany that's were a lot of my family came from shame were going to miss it but I thought I would mention there is a beautifully preserved protected original growth forest that has never been touched other than the walking tracks, although small it shows you what the whole region looked like before 1770, I have forgotten the name of the place, I am sure if any asked the locals they would give directions, it's well worth a look ( there's opal in them there hills too)
Keep Smiling,
Eric Smith

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:22 pm

Quite a few years back I walked a number of the tracks around the Mapleton, Montville and Maleny area. It certainly left its impression because since then, whenever I think of natures beauty, my minds eye immediately heads back to the dappled light upon big leaves, the twisting of vines and figs to the sky and the smells and sounds of below the canopy with the elusive scrub turkeys.

What a truly wonderful and inspiring part of the world it is, just north of Brizzy up the hill on the left from where Stevo use to live with his Dad and their premature handbags. 8)

Wishing I could be there.

Kim

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed May 01, 2013 8:22 am

:mrgreen:
chainsaw.jpg
chainsaw.jpg (7.22 KiB) Viewed 12586 times
7.jpg
7.jpg (77.14 KiB) Viewed 12586 times
Martin

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Wed May 01, 2013 9:12 am

Lovely Photo's Martin

whenever I think of natures beauty, my mind’s eye immediately heads back to the dappled light upon Stickered wood, the twisting of Backs and sides to the sky and the smells and sounds of the chainsaw with the elusive Greenies making a getaway :mrgreen:
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

colburge
Blackwood

Post by colburge » Sun May 05, 2013 5:34 pm

Hi

I went and had a look today, not many guitars or instruments, a couple of nice ones though. I did however have the pleasure of meeting and having a long chat with Colen Clenton, maker of the best marking out tools in the world! The quality of his stuff is unbelievable, and he is one of the nicest guys you could ever meet.

He Also also showed me the new front vice by Michael Conner who I think is a member of the forum, man it is a work of art, I want one!! The HNT Gordon planes were fantastic too.

Colen invited me down to the Hunter Valley to see his workshop, so I will definitely go when I have a bit of cash, and buy a nice square. I can totally recommend the quality of their stuff, but you guys are probably already aware of that.

http://www.hntgordon.com.au/colenclenton.htm

cheers

Col

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Sun May 05, 2013 7:20 pm

I went and had a look yesterday. Picked up some nice neck QLD maple neck stock for very cheap. Also bought enough gidgee for about 6 or 7 bridges. It was nice to see the legendary laguna bandsaw in the flesh.

We also went and checked out the mary cairncross reserve which I believe EricDownunder may have been referring to in his post. Beautiful forest and amazing how little of it is left today. Great day all round.
Jeremy D

Localele

Post by Localele » Mon May 06, 2013 5:53 am

Sorry I forgot to give Colen some Rosette Cutters to have on display as well. :(
Cheers from Micheal.

Remember the "5P Rule".
Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

colburge
Blackwood

Post by colburge » Mon May 06, 2013 8:09 am

Localele wrote:Sorry I forgot to give Colen some Rosette Cutters to have on display as well. :(
I actually did ask Colen about it,(as the Lee Valley guy mentioned it to me), and he said that you had forgotten to give him one. I hadn't realised at the time that you were on the forum, and it was the same cutter the guys were talking about here. Might see it if you make it to the Brisbane Wood Show.

Cheers

Col

Localele

Post by Localele » Mon May 06, 2013 8:14 am

I won't be there officially but will give them some to take up.Just getting another batch done now.
Cheers from Micheal.

Remember the "5P Rule".
Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

colburge
Blackwood

Post by colburge » Mon May 06, 2013 8:24 am

Localele wrote:I won't be there officially but will give them some to take up.Just getting another batch done now.
I'll be sure to take some cash and get one at the show.'

Cheer

Col