Mandolin Building in Woodbridge Next Weekend

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Rick Turner
Blackwood

Mandolin Building in Woodbridge Next Weekend

Post by Rick Turner » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:45 am

I'll be teaching the first round of my "Build a Mandolin in Four Days" next weekend in Woodbridge under the sponsorship of the Tasmanian Adult Education Department and the Folk Federation of Tasmania. The class is full-up, but I'm hoping to get back in August for another round, and then I'll slightly redesign the course to cover building a ukulele as well. There's interest in having me teach this in Melbourne as well.

I'm thrilled to be able to take this "on the road", and with the building of a mandolin with Tassie oak back and sides as the demonstration instrument, I'll almost be able to lay claim to being an Aussie builder...

I'll post photos when I can.
Rick Turner
Guitar Maker, Experimenter, Diviner
www.renaissanceguitars.com
www.d-tar.com

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:29 pm

Hi Rick,

Im still looking for a Western Sydney venue,

Sebastiaan
make mine fifths........

Rick Turner
Blackwood

Post by Rick Turner » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:41 pm

Great, Sebastiaan. August might work or then it will have to bump over to 2009 when I'm likely to do a ukulele course in Melbourne, too.
Rick Turner
www.d-tar.com

Rick Turner
Blackwood

Post by Rick Turner » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:01 pm

Last two weekends in August are confirmed for another mando building class. It'll will probably be at the Woodbridge school again, though we'd like a facility closer to Hobart...but there are insurance and liability issues that have to go by the book for Adult Ed. Gary Rizzolo, who attended this last class and was an incredible help and wonderful addition, has offered his shop, but the insurance thing gets dicey.

BTW, I was incredibly flattered to have Gary in the class, and I very much enjoyed meeting him and then his wife Alison and visiting their place in Hobart. Gary is one hell of a guitar maker with a wonderful workshop...and winery!

And now I'm making arrangements to come over again in mid to late November. No classes or workshops planned as of now, but maybe Gary and I could whip up a one day intensive or something like that for folks who are already into lutherie a bit. Or I could do an instrument maintenance for musicians thing for the Folk Federation.
Rick Turner
www.d-tar.com