CF rods and computing neck stiffness

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Michael Thames

Re: CF rods and computing neck stiffness

Post by Michael Thames » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:35 pm

Well, the ebony density doesn't come into this calculation, which you've already been told. As for the CF modulus, like any other manufactured product it's subject to variation in both the design of the composite (intentional) and the variation in the process (unintentional). When you can measure it, why not? Then you know what you've actually got. Even if you use 20Mpsi for the CF modulus, and poke that into Hurd's program, you still only get a ~16% increase in stiffness for a standard config neck.
Trevor....... really why can't you accept the industry standards for CF rods being sold today? Man, as soon as I give you the exact modulus of CF being sold for truss rods you start in on this and that, trying to cast doubt on a simple thing. Good fellows science give a standard modulus for CF, at 18, and as I said earlier Jim took the time to get the exact modulus straight from the horses mouth the guy who makes the stuff at Dragon plate.

Like I said Trevor, your numbers are heading up! They have gone up 7% from what you started off with. Now after we place the rod in the most efficient place lets see how much further they climb.
Until we see how Jim has calculated these, just quoting numbers means nothing. They're just unsubstantiated numbers.
I agree! Jim, has definitely come up with these figures, but he wants to make sure of everything before he shows his calculations....... can you wait a couple more days?
Hurd's analysis and program have been published and available since 2004, if not before, and I'm still waiting for someone to prove it wrong. You put numbers in, you get answers out and for the standard config the answer is the same whatever modulus number you use for the CF composite, namely, it makes barely any difference, because the standard config, using Stewmac CF, has the CF pretty much on the neutral axis. Put the numbers in and see for yourself.
Trevor, I know you have been trying to create this straw-man, that Jim, or I, are out to prove Hurd wrong, but that's simply not the case. Jim, so far sees nothing wrong with Hurds program other than the fact he uses some bad modulus figures. The way perhaps you should look at this is Jim will ADD to Hurd's program, not prove him wrong.

Trevor, you and Hurd obviously have chosen to use the worse possible placement for carbon fibre rods, you use smaller rods than what we use, you managed to get a lower modulus rating on the stuff they sell, and it just seems ur hell bent on coming up with the lowest figures you can to support your claims. Have you even bothered to call stu mac and find out the modulus rating on there CF rods? That might be a good place to start.

However, what is interesting to me, is you now have shifted this whole debate over to what Stu-mac does, quite frankly I've never read their article on CF truss rods, or ever bought a truss rod from them. So this Stu Mac thing is irrelevant to me. What Jim and I, are interested in is the best optimal material and placement of the CF rods to get the best possible results, not this bullshit stuff about what most people do, because Stu-Mac says so.

Trevor, why don't you take a deep breath, and call off the goons, and lets wait until Jim gives us the data.

ozwood
Blackwood

Post by ozwood » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:54 pm

and call off the goons

F%#K me This Blokes a Crack Investigator , I only Posted my reply 5 minutes ago and already he knows about my shady past , Underworld links , standover tactics and the odd toe I have severed in the name of debt collection, obviously my Facebook photo would have added to the description of " Goon " must Change that in line with my new soft and Cuddly persona.

AKA , Alphonse Gangitano
Paul .

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:01 pm

Lets keep things under control folks.

Nothing like robust argument but don't let it get out of hand.
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:04 pm

You're inability to see the flaws in the manner in which you have posted is astounding.

youtu.be/

Stu

ozwood
Blackwood

Post by ozwood » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:06 pm

Sorry Bob, :oops

"when the red mist fall about my head I know not what I do!"

Paul Kelly.
Paul .

Michael Thames

Post by Michael Thames » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:21 pm

ozwood wrote:Michael,

I have been watching from the sidelines, trying hard not to get involved, mostly ......well... erm ...... because I find the whole formulas and maths thing a little :roll: .

But anyway what I do know is Trevor has made a huge contribution to Australian Lutherie, he has and still does take time to generously answer our questions ( witnessed by his section on this forum), he runs a course to complement his book, I found was worth every cent , because it was priced to be affordable to all, pretty much Just covering Trevors time and expenses.

I have since run Into Trevor at The AGMS dinner , and he still was gracious enough to take the time to explain some stuff I did not understand .

I have sent him an Email since seeking help with a problem , he again promptly assisted me.

Maths is not my strong point , but if I get into trouble with a calculation I know I can call Jeff or ask Trevor and they will help me, never once has anyone on this forum scoffed at a question I have asked , rather offering some suggestions on how I might do things better , which I eagerly take on board , I think my guitars sound pretty good and look OK as well, I owe a lot of my success to Trevor and his books.

My point is , this is the culture of this forum, sure from time to time we have some vigorous debates , But I find it just a little......I guess the word is Rude that you Rock up.......... and your first and only contribution is to .........It seems to me anyway............attempt to humiliate Trevor amongst his peers.............. well it's hardly supprising , given our respect for Trevor and his work, you have received the response you have , perhaps what you should have done was wait for final numbers, send a polite email to the effect of .

Dear Trevor ,

I notice in your Book , that you use Hurd's program, however this information has come to light , what are your thoughts ?

I'm sure Trevor , being the enquiring, yet humble man he is would have done his due dilligence and had a good look at it .

Just a suggestion .

Regards,
Paul, thanks for the kind post it is more civilized than most. Trevor has written a book, as I said, I haven't read it, nor do I have any intention to do so at the price it costs. I also have little interest in his approach to guitar making. That's just me, I'm not saying it's my way or the highway, and it's not a criticism of Trevor's approach, that is until it infringes upon me.

Trevor and I go way back to other guitar forums. In fact, my first experience with Trevor was after I made a seemingly innocent statement on another forum that i use CF rods to stiffin the necks. I was then promptly informed by Trevor, that I was wrong, and he supplied me with the same sad data he is expounding to this day. He then demanded data from me, to support any and everything I said. What transpired was a 15 page long debate between us. Trevor used Hurd's program to attack everything I said. So I hope you see I'm not one of Trevor's disciples.

Long after this took place, I was looking around for some information on steel string guitars, and stumbled upon this forum. Simultaneously, Jim and I were discussing building a steel string guitar, for my best mate, Michael Chapdelaine, and we looked into Hurd's site and specs, Jim looked at them and laughed then got pissed at the lazy science he saw...... and good lord who did I see on this forum yes it was my old friend Trevor. So the long of the short of it is, I thought I would give Trevor some data to ponder over for himself this time, as he so kindly did with me.

I always felt Trevor's data and conclusions were highly misleading and detrimental to those who read his publications, and blogs, and felt a real honest need to correct these things. Being that this forum is a resource for information about guitar building why would this not be appropriate? Why would you not want to get to the truth and real facts?

I have remained civil and kept on topic in this thread, it seems however that a few of Trevor's supporters have written some nasty little posts directed at me, but that's fine, that's to be expected, and please if anyone else feels the need to write more nasty little posts then knock ur selves out........ I do enjoy them.

Hopefully with any luck the debate will be over soon and we all just might learn something useful to apply to guitar making, that's my wish.

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:16 pm

Paul, thanks for the kind post it is more civilized than most
Sigh...

People have tried to politely suggest ways that you could present your argument more coherently and cohesively and without insult but you have some kind of preconcieved notion that there are 'teams' on this forum thread. I.e. Jim and Michael vs Trevor. This is fabrication, people just want to have friendly, humourous discussions without all the hate mongering...
if anyone else feels the need to write more nasty little posts then knock ur selves out........ I do enjoy them.
The true calling card of a Troll. I award you the highest honour of KING TROLL OF ANZLF. Please download and cut out your paper crown and decorate it accordingly....

http://picklebums.com/images/printables ... crowns.pdf

Enjoy

Stu out (I grow tired of this thread)

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:58 pm

Michael Thames wrote: Quote:
Until we see how Jim has calculated these, just quoting numbers means nothing. They're just unsubstantiated numbers.

I agree! Jim, has definitely come up with these figures, but he wants to make sure of everything before he shows his calculations....... can you wait a couple more days?
I'm pleased you agree! But wouldn't it have been better to present the calculations and results together rather than just waving numbers in the air?
Michael Thames wrote: Trevor....... really why can't you accept the industry standards for CF rods being sold today? Man, as soon as I give you the exact modulus of CF being sold for truss rods you start in on this and that, trying to cast doubt on a simple thing. Good fellows science give a standard modulus for CF, at 18, and as I said earlier Jim took the time to get the exact modulus straight from the horses mouth the guy who makes the stuff at Dragon plate.
Well, I don't see much of Jim's famed rigor in that approach. Ask the manufacturer and believe what he says? :lol: If anyone is quoting you a material property number and can't give you the dispersion as well, be worried. Why not just test it, then you know? It's not that hard.
Michael Thames wrote:Jim, so far sees nothing wrong with Hurds program other than the fact he uses some bad modulus figures.
Michael Thames wrote:..we looked into Hurd's site and specs, Jim looked at them and laughed then got pissed at the lazy science he saw..
So which is it? Nothing wrong or lazy science? I've not done a full QA on Hurd's stuff, but it seems to give reasonable answers and it has been examined as part of his PhD thesis. All I (and Jeff) have been doing is putting numbers in and getting answers out.
Michael Thames wrote:Trevor, you and Hurd obviously have chosen to use the worse possible placement for carbon fibre rods, you use smaller rods than what we use, you managed to get a lower modulus rating on the stuff they sell, and it just seems ur hell bent on coming up with the lowest figures you can to support your claims.
The (unfortunate) truth is that that is how probably 95% of people use the stuff. That is why the analysis is applicable. Of course, if you put the CF somewhere else, and/or use more of it, you get a different answer. Nobody has disputed that. When this topic first came up on the other forum (which you seem to have strangely been removed from) I invited you to present YOUR methods and results via Hurd's program, providing a link, but you declined, preferring invective instead. If the general contributor on forums backed his statements with peer reviewed science that was available for the others to experiment with, wouldn't we have more constructive, fact based discussions?
Michael Thames wrote: Trevor, why don't you take a deep breath, and call off the goons...
:lol: I don't have any control over these guys! Any criticism you're drawing is entirely your own work! Besides, I thought you said you enjoyed the attention...
Michael Thames wrote:and please if anyone else feels the need to write more nasty little posts then knock ur selves out........ I do enjoy them.
Isn't that your point?

Michael Thames

Post by Michael Thames » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:25 am

needsmorecowbel wrote:
Paul, thanks for the kind post it is more civilized than most
Sigh...

People have tried to politely suggest ways that you could present your argument more coherently and cohesively and without insult but you have some kind of preconcieved notion that there are 'teams' on this forum thread. I.e. Jim and Michael vs Trevor. This is fabrication, people just want to have friendly, humourous discussions without all the hate mongering...
if anyone else feels the need to write more nasty little posts then knock ur selves out........ I do enjoy them.
The true calling card of a Troll. I award you the highest honour of KING TROLL OF ANZLF. Please download and cut out your paper crown and decorate it accordingly....

http://picklebums.com/images/printables ... crowns.pdf

Enjoy

Stu out (I grow tired of this thread)
Now, I'm not only a "hate monger" but a "troll" as well...... amazing! Not only are we learning of the true benefit of CF rods in this thread, and their proper use and instalation, we hear a sermon on manners, and etiquette, from a certifiable mud slinger! Stu, it appears your hypocrisy knows no bounds!

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:06 am

we hear a sermon on manners, and etiquette, from a certifiable mud slinger! Stu, it appears your hypocrisy knows no bounds!
Sorry Michael, I don't feed trolls...

Michael Thames

Post by Michael Thames » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:23 am

needsmorecowbel wrote:
we hear a sermon on manners, and etiquette, from a certifiable mud slinger! Stu, it appears your hypocrisy knows no bounds!
Sorry Michael, I don't feed trolls...
Stu..... bugger off...... don't post again on my thread unless you have some useful data to add to the discussion!

Michael Thames

Post by Michael Thames » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:25 am

I'm pleased you agree! But wouldn't it have been better to present the calculations and results together rather than just waving numbers in the air?
I'm not waving numbers in the air! To prove it, I cite your own upwards moving stiffness figures, it's had an effect wouldn't you say. It's amazing what correct modulus can do for your results uh Trevor? BTW, a result of my "waving" numbers in the air has inspired Jeff to run his calculations and it appears we have now set the bar a little higher.
Well, I don't see much of Jim's famed rigor in that approach. Ask the manufacturer and believe what he says? If anyone is quoting you a material property number and can't give you the dispersion as well, be worried. Why not just test it, then you know? It's not that hard.
Trevor Gore, this has to be the most ridiculous thing I've heard so far. Do you realize what you are saying, and laughing at? Do you realize the customers of these companies who manufacture CF components in many cases place their life on the line in using these parts for boats, planes, and other applications? Do you think for a moment a reputable company like Dragon Plate would risk law suits, commercial devastation to endanger the lives of customers and publish bogus modulus ratings for their components? Trevor, you've hit a new low, laughing at these engineers, and companies. It's now clear to me, you will say anything to support your "peer reviewed" bogus articles, shame on you, you can do better than that, I know you can.
So which is it? Nothing wrong or lazy science? I've not done a full QA on Hurd's stuff, but it seems to give reasonable answers and it has been examined as part of his PhD thesis. All I (and Jeff) have been doing is putting numbers in and getting answers out.
Why do you insist on this either/or stuff......... ironically it seems however you answered your own question by admitting "I've not done a full QA on Hurd's stuff" and then drawing conclusions that "it seems to give reasonable answers"....... really! reasonable answers based on specs you haven't taken the time to even look at? Excellent!
The (unfortunate) truth is that that is how probably 95% of people use the stuff. That is why the analysis is applicable.
Oh my! I thought the purpose of science, and Hurd's program would have been to find the optimal results for the use of CF rods, now I find, to my astonishment, I'm being informed, it is to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

OK Trevor lets cut to the chase, the "unfortunate truth" here seems to be your motivation to deny the correct facts and figures to support your "peer reviewed" article published by The Guild of American Luthiers, to uphold at all costs your claim that if reasonable wood is used the use of CF rods are insignificant, I'm paraphrasing now, because I'm tired of supply the quote, people can look it up. People do this sort of thing all the time in science...... they publish articles open themselves up to peer review, and defined their papers, and reputation to the bitter end.

Instead of a well though out detailed analyses of ALL the facts, and figures, and suppling the correct models for optimal placement etc. you've chosen to blindly accept Hurd's specs instead, and then create a straw-man argument blaming your lack of due diligence on the uniformed ignorant masses, the 95%, really Trevor this is the best you can do for the advancement of science in the art of guitar building? It seems to me ur just trying bring a dead horse back to life.

To the contrary, Jim Martin HAS taken the time to correct your bogus CF modulus ratings, Jim Martin has taken the time to place the CF rods to their fullest potential, and supply the exact dimensions of the rods, in the neck, Jim Martin, has refined the perimeters to an already good model of Hurd's. Jim Martin has taken the time to do this right.... and all you feel is contempt for his efforts? Why is that?
When this topic first came up on the other forum (which you seem to have strangely been removed from) I invited you to present YOUR methods and results via Hurd's program, providing a link, but you declined, preferring invective instead.
I've given you the data corrections and exposed your unimaginative placements of the truss rods to appeal to the 95% of idiots...... it just took awhile, as they say better late than never!
I don't have any control over these guys! Any criticism you're drawing is entirely your own work! Besides, I thought you said you enjoyed the attention...
Don't fret none it was just a figure of speech, I'm sure you have no control, and yes, you are correct I do enjoy it, in the same why I like watching a train wreck..... fascinating!

curly
Blackwood

Post by curly » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:35 am

Nice guitars Michael,
But you really are making a bit of a dill of yourself here .
Pete

lauburu
Blackwood

Post by lauburu » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:45 am

I have become increasingly disappointed in the tone of this thread. I don't pretend to understand the Maths - most people wouldn't.

I don't yet make instruments of the superb quality that the main protagonists in this thread do; I simply aspire to making "good" instruments and improving my skills. That's why I came to this forum about 2 years ago. I have found the forum to be a daily source of delight and have made some good friends as a result.

I don't know Trevor, I have his books and reverently thumb through the pages to pick up tips for improving the way I work. The books are superb and a significant contribution to the world of luthiery (IMHO). One day when I'm suitably skilled I'll use them to make a guitar "in the style of Trevor".

Trevor has always been a generous contributor to this forum with knowledge, wit and humility that has endeared him to (almost) everyone on the forum. It embarrasses me that this forum (which I am a part of) should become a vehicle to attack someone who has been everybody's friend and helper.

I will not revisit this thread. It dignifies nobody. I hope others join me.
Miguel

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:39 am

This thread is going nowhere fast and I'm too busy building instruments to monitor it so I'm locking it and suggest that everyone goes back to making some sawdust.

Regards
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars