It's all over now

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

It's all over now

Post by charangohabsburg » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:53 am

Dear friends,

Well not really all (I won't kill myself! :) ).

But the last years have shown that my luthierie endeavour has been much less prolific than expected.

There are moments in life when one has to decide to abandon a mistaken path and to face new, more promising challenges. Such a moment has come to my life now, which means (you guessed it) that I will abandon luthierie completely.
Luthierie has been a nice experience, accompanied by great experiences such as everything related to the ANZLF has been! :cl :cl :cl

But now the moment of decision has come, an my decision is to towards a completely different direction, leaving behind me the countless frustrations luthierie has brought to me (actually I have achieved nothing but some funny, but rather useless tools and jigs, and one (yes, only one!) instrument which I even was ashamed to present in the ANZLF gallery... But, to luthierie justice, I have to say that I also enjoyed a lot the company of you ANZLF-ers, thank you everybody here!

Don't miss my End-Luthierie-Sale in the ANZLF "Buy, Swap and Sell" section where I offer all items I think they are worth the shipping cost from Switzerland to OZ and NZ, plus a rather symbolic price for the items themselves. The reason I prefer to sell things for almost nothing to overseas rather than to fetch a "reasonable price" for them here in Europe is that the ANZLF is SIMPLY GREAT and I prefer to give away my tools to great people. Thanks again everybody!

Cheers,
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

Lillian
Blackwood

Re: It's all over now

Post by Lillian » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:03 am

Marcus, I'm at a loss for words. I mean I understand where you are coming from, but still.... :(

liam_fnq
Blackwood

Post by liam_fnq » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:15 am

Well I hope you're not going to stop hanging around the forum? You'd be sorely missed.

Edit: It is of course April 1st, so I'm waiting with baited breath for the punch line.

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:18 am

liam_fnq wrote:Well I hope you're not going to stop hanging around the forum? You'd be sorely missed.

Edit: It is of course April 1st, so I'm waiting with baited breath for the punch line.
Gawd, I hope this is a joke.

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:25 am

We will miss you but hope all goes well in your new endeavor
If you are able to share what it is I would be interested

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:39 am

This is a big shock Markus but i hope your new direction produces much satisfaction for you, i hope you do feel like sharing a bit of your new endeavour with us on here!
Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

Steve
Blackwood

Post by Steve » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:53 am

charangohabsburg wrote:...my decision is to towards a completely different direction
Now this does sound intriguing. Perhaps dressing up in a Batman costume & fighting crime? Building a rocket on your dining room table & getting to Mars before NASA? Getting one of those 3D printers and capturing the spare body-parts market?
Whatever you're up to, I'm sure that you will do it well,
Steve

P Bill
Blackwood

Post by P Bill » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:53 am

Why not just take a gardening holiday and come back with a new perspective? My acoustic activities are mainly just to keep me in instruments and to keep things interesting. I think you'll miss it. I've enjoyed your company and comments.
"Were you drying your nails or waving me good bye?" Tom Waits

Bill

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:34 am

Mmmm..April 1st :|
Martin

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:59 am

My guess is that the lure of shorts, braces, travel and a challenge has seen our friend Markus determine that he will take his love of slap dance and yodelling to the Andes. If that is indeed the case then you need to be careful mate because the nodding and politely smiling disposition of the locals in response to the language barrier could very easily see you in court facing assault and battery charges.... :wink:

I've had the pleasure of collaborated with Markus on April 1st gone and can only hope his post is more Swiss mischief on display....Markus, could we entice you to stay with us if we at the ANZLF all agree to restrict our future communication to only the Swahili language?? :D

kiwinoz62
Blackwood

Post by kiwinoz62 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:09 am

Markus. . . you are a true gentleman.
All the best. . .
cheers wayne . . .

'keep on strummin'

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:57 am

Argh! Sorry to hear Markus. Wish you all the best in your future endeavours!
Someone is going to have to step up and become the Next Macgyver of Lutherie...Just make sure you don't disappear from the forums entirely as you're a nice chap with a very quirky sense of humour and the forum would be a lot less fun without you. I'm sure I'm not the only one who looks forward to your posts :). I always imagined you with a magestic mullet (not an insult)

Stu

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:57 pm

Don't any of you buggas buy any of those tools, no matter how cheap. Force him to keep having to look at them every time he is in his shed and eventually he will have to use them.

I am wondering if this is some sort of coverup to put us off the scent of his real endeavors, perhaps he has been contracted by Inspector Gadget to clandestinely improve the acceleration and linear travel capacity of his extendable legs. Has anyone got the phone number for International Rescue, I reckon Virgil would be up for a rescue of this magnitude.

Jim

P.S. Come on Markus, don't let one little bit of bone that won't comply to your will put you off.
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:00 pm

needsmorecowbel wrote:Someone is going to have to step up and become the Next Macgyver of Lutherie...Just make sure you don't disappear from the forums entirely
Thank you Stu, for honouring me with the titel "MacGyver of Luthierie" :)

But hey, I never said I had the intention to stop "harassing" on the forum! :shock: ;) Although, I totally agree with Kim that introducing Swaheli as the official (and hopefully only accepted) forum language is a good way to keep me in the forum. We are living in a globalized world, and we should not permit the discrimination of a minority of (not jet present) Swaheli speaking luthiers!

So, thank you everybody here for your kind words - although indeed, I was fishing neither for compliments nor for commiseration, but... OF COURSE Liam (and others) were right, and the Markus-gives-up-luthierie - thing was just an april fools' joke! :D That said, I almost feel a bit sorry to not be the gentleman Wayne supposed I was, there are no tools for incredibly low prices for sale, and not even the Somogyi-brick (for two Swiss Francs) will leave my bookshelf (I won't tell you what I use it for from time to time! :lol: ) .
Markus

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:11 pm

Markus, April fools day or not this is a very bad joke and not funny, never say these things again cos there might be some Karmic or Kosmic shit goin on.

Steve :(

Bruce McC
Blackwood

Post by Bruce McC » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:31 pm

Got me. come in spinner :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

May all your saddle blanks turn into circles :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bruce Mc.

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:41 pm

Lillian wrote: [...] I mean I understand where you are coming from, but still... [...]
Whatever that means! :?:
liam_fnq wrote:Edit: It is of course April 1st, so I'm waiting with baited breath for the punch line.
Copngrats, you are the winner! :D
jeffhigh wrote:If you are able to share what it is I would be interested
Well, actually I am also wondering what I would do without luthierie! :D
rocket wrote:This is a big shock Markus [...]
I hope you quickly recovered! :shock: :D
Steve wrote: [...] Perhaps dressing up in a Batman costume & fighting crime? [...]
Sounds good. Fighting crimes such as abandon luthierie! 8)
P Bill wrote: [...] I've enjoyed your company and comments.
Thank you! So did (and do) I. :)
kiwigeo wrote:Mmmm..April 1st :|
Of course, how not! ;)
Kim wrote:My guess is that the lure of shorts, braces, travel and a challenge has seen our friend Markus determine that he will take his love of slap dance and yodelling to the Andes. [...]
Of course, what else could it be! :lol:
kiwinoz62 wrote:Markus. . . you are a true gentleman. [...]
Thank you. But I am afraid that I am not a gentleman on april firsts! :roll:
needsmorecowbel wrote: [...] and the forum would be a lot less fun without you. [...]
Thanks. I'll do my best to not get lost! :)
DarwinStrings wrote: [...] Has anyone got the phone number for International Rescue, I reckon Virgil would be up for a rescue of this magnitude. [...]
:lol: :lol: :lol:
afshar wrote: [...] May all your saddle blanks turn into circles :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:lol:

Thanks everybody for participating!

Cheers!

:gui :gui :gui :gui :gui :gui :gui :gui :gui
Markus

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:56 pm

Kamusur wrote:Markus, April fools day or not this is a very bad joke and not funny, never say these things again cos there might be some Karmic or Kosmic shit goin on.

Steve :(
Hi Steve, unless your comment was just another April fools' joke I'm sorry to read that you got p*§§ed off by my joke. But hey, such is life: if someone believes he can pick up a virtually new item for just 10% of its list price he risks to be a victim of a joke, especially when it is April 1st. ;)

Cheers,
Markus

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:38 pm

Got you Markus, I loved the jokes lol. My favourite was when you said that the 'photos don't do justice to the sharpness of the blades' that cracked me up. Take care :cl

Steve

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:49 pm

Kamusur wrote:Got you Markus,
:lol: :lol: :lol:

In any case, I think that April fools' jokes bring good Karma if there is such a thing. 8)
Markus

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:18 pm

Excellent!!! Our mate Markus is not giving up lutherie and deserting the ANZLF after all. That means that one day, a long way down the track if and when he finally does give it away and spits the lutherical dummy, that perhaps I will get in first and claim that really cool pencil sharpener in his fire sale 8)

Well done Markus, you shit stir better than a finely tuned Evinrude in the hands of a half pissed yobbo with a face shield and no sense of smell. Therefore Markus Schmid, from this point forward, yea shall be known across our land as, 'Ocker Schmiddy', Yobbo of Switzerland.

Ocker:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocker

Schmiddy:
Schmiddy.JPG
Yobbo: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yobbo

Be proud mate, be very bloody proud :cl :cl :cl

Cheers :D

Kim

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:58 pm

Well Done Markus!!!...or should I say that all the "contributors" were "Well Done"!

Nicely executed April Fools Joke.... :wink: Glad I stayed out of it as I thought that you had either gone completely and utterly bonkers and joined a monetary or something like that or was playing a fairly sophisticated April Fools Day Joke...

Cheers

John AKA
WoodRat
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:01 pm

Thank you Kim for the Australian survival chart, it went straight to my records!
Kim wrote: [...] Therefore Markus Schmid, from this point forward, yea shall be known across our land as, 'Ocker Schmiddy', Yobbo of Switzerland. [...]
8) :D :lol:
Kim wrote: [...]
I've had the pleasure of collaborated with Markus on April 1st gone and can only hope his post is more Swiss mischief on display....Markus, could we entice you to stay with us if we at the ANZLF all agree to restrict our future communication to only the Swahili language?? :D
This deserves some further explanation: back in December 2011, just like every year many (or all?) Spanish speaking countries celebrated the "day of the innocents" (28.12.) which is basically the same as the "rest of the world's" 1st of April... A moderator of a Spanish guitar forum had the glorious idea to announce that, due to ongoing globalization, from the 1st of January the official language would be English, and that Spanish comments would only get tolerated (but be translated by the admin staff) until the 15th of January. For me it was a question of seconds to realise that some real support from some English speaking country would be the real thing! Thanks to Kim's quick, spontaneous, excellent, generous and unconditional support we even made freeze the blood in the veins of a co-admin on that Spanish forum... :lol:
Unforgettable!
Markus

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:06 pm

woodrat wrote:Glad I stayed out of it [...]
I knew that I should have put on sale a few trees for you, throwing in shipping costs at my charge! :lol:

Cheers,
Markus

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:13 pm

I don't think people will stay mad at you long Markus. . . haha not with moves like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2plcrqkscZQ