Work Bench

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Kiwicanfly
Gidgee

Work Bench

Post by Kiwicanfly » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:46 pm

Hi all I'm new to guitar building. I'm at an age that it is time to hang up my tool belt and stop building full size boats. My plan is to down size my workshop and set it up to build guitars. From your experience are you able to give me some ideas as to what I should have?
For instance what size work bench would you recommend?
Love the work you guys do.

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Re: Work Bench

Post by Tod Gilding » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:12 pm

Nice to have you along "kiwicanfly" what's your real name (friendly first name basis here)

I wont recommend a bench size or number if your anything like me you will need several benches because they get covered in S&%t :D
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:44 pm

Yay!!! i'm not the only one :o :o :o :o
Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:28 pm

sweet, nor am I....I've still got two other portable ones :wink:
I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am....

Cheers,
Nick

https://www.facebook.com/pages/DMI-hand ... 744?ref=hl

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:10 pm

Hey Fly, and welcome. Sorry for my somewhat flippant reply. I just made a new bench--mostly because I couldn't find the old one. See me $41 Work Bench thread. Mine is 2400x1100, cause I cut some strips off the side for another use. I reckon that would be a good size, if you have the space.

I'd guess that you could go around 1800x900 if you needed to, but I wanted to incorporate some items, like a router table insert, and still have some extra room to work around that when it's in place. I'd guess that $200 or so from Bunnings with regular pine and ply would see you done....Show us a pic when you get it done, and say byebye to your spare time, if you go down this path.....can get addictive :lol:
I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am....

Cheers,
Nick

https://www.facebook.com/pages/DMI-hand ... 744?ref=hl

Gerry Coon
Wandoo

Post by Gerry Coon » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:51 pm

Good day, Kiwi.

Here are a couple that I've found usefull and reasonably easily set up by someone of your experience. Sharpening station, Shooting board, and assembly table. Primary bench made from reclaimed building timbers.

Cheers and warm welcome.

Gerry
Attachments
shooting board.jpg
Detail of shooting board.
bench 3.jpg
Primary work area.
Sharpening 1.jpg
Detail of sharpening station made from heavy duty metal shelving.

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:22 pm

I just built the one below. I am on my second guitar and it was frustrating building the first without a nice flat surface. This one is solid to say the least. I like the overhang on the vice side I can clamp stuff directly to it and walk around scraping etc. from different angles. It is also very flat being that it is 2 pieces of thick MDF laminated together. The tool drawers are also very handy. I have other benches with metal working vices and what not on them but this is my main assembly bench.

Jeremy D

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:46 pm

Very Norty bench Jeremy 8)

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:31 am

I'm seriously contemplating this one. http://www.shopnotes.com/plans/small-workbench/ I think it's large enough for guitar bodies. But its not so massive that it takes up all the floor space and I lose things on it. It'll have enough weight to stay put while I plane. I like the integrated vises and all the storage. It will be first on the list of things to do just as soon as my son moves out and I get my shop back, which is start to looking like a real possibility. Keep your fingers cross, burn some fragrant wood shavings, whatever, that he gets the promotion and his own place soon.

n~dl
Myrtle

Post by n~dl » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:58 am

I imagine the size of your bench is sort of a personal thing depending on the size of your shop, how you personally build, etc. I figure a lot of you have multiple benches dedicated to certain things?

I'm going to be out of school in a few months and a work bench is the first on my list as well. I've been creeping around twin cities craigslist postings and it looks like with a little patience I should be able to find a pretty darn cheap bench. If you're willing to haul it, sometimes people just want to get RID of their stuff. If you're close enough to any of the bigger cities in WA, Lillian, I bet you can find some good, cheap stuff, too.
-Nate L

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:22 am

Kim wrote:Very Norty bench Jeremy 8)

Yes, very nice Commando Jeremy.

Steve

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:42 pm

Kamusur wrote:
Kim wrote:Very Norty bench Jeremy 8)

Yes, very nice Commando Jeremy.

Steve
Thanks guys. Here's another little pic just because.

Jeremy D

colburge
Blackwood

Post by colburge » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:52 pm

Lillian wrote:I'm seriously contemplating this one. http://www.shopnotes.com/plans/small-workbench/ I think it's large enough for guitar bodies. But its not so massive that it takes up all the floor space and I lose things on it. It'll have enough weight to stay put while I plane. I like the integrated vises and all the storage. It will be first on the list of things to do just as soon as my son moves out and I get my shop back, which is start to looking like a real possibility. Keep your fingers cross, burn some fragrant wood shavings, whatever, that he gets the promotion and his own place soon.

I have that issue, I reckon that it would be perfect as well.

Col

P Bill
Blackwood

Post by P Bill » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:00 am

This is a link to a small bench I just put up

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=5266
"Were you drying your nails or waving me good bye?" Tom Waits

Bill

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:23 am

Nice little bench Bill.

I make my bench tops 820mm by around 1800mm, the reason I use this dimension is that when the bottom of a external solid core door rots and someone replaces their door all you have to do is whip 200mm or so off the bottom of the discarded door and there you have it, free bench top. Also I drive screws into, drill into and hammer on my bench tops so regard them as disposable and replace them for nicks.

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

pat foster
Myrtle

Post by pat foster » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:55 am

Wow! Handmade guitars and Norton Commandos! Sounds like a song Richard Thompson might write.

Some folks like a narrow bench perpendicular to the main bench so there's access to three sides of the guitar, sort of like a clothes ironing board. Mine is on a reclaimed base cabinet from our kitchen remodel, with a pull-out bread board. I thought it would be too wobbly, but as it turns out, the part of guitar work I do on it has mostly to do with fine stuff, like setups and fretwork and it's stable enough for that. It's convenient, and slides into the bench/cabinet when not in use.

Pat

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:27 am

Thanks Jeremy she looks pretty clean, but already suffering from GAS, WAS and TAS I hope i don't catch MAS as well.

Steve