24" Sanding Discs

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Jeremy D
Admin

24" Sanding Discs

Post by Jeremy D » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:18 pm

Hi Guys,

I have been trying to track some of these down at a reasonable price. Supergrit has them for about 14 dollars but shipping on 2 is 48 bucks from the US. I have contacted Australian Industraial Abrasives (as per Kims suggestion in an older post) and they can do them for about $22 ex GST (80 grit). Problem is that want me to buy minimum of 5. Anybody up for a group buy? They are not far from me so I would be happy to pick them up and ship them to you.

Cheers.
Jeremy D

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Re: 24" Sanding Discs

Post by Trevor Gore » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:34 pm

I could use at least 2, Jeremy, and another couple for spares wouldn't go amiss. So put me down for 2 and see what the demand is and I might add another 2 later.

Cheers, Trevor.

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:19 pm

Sounds good Trevor. I will wait and see if there are others over the weekend and order them up next week.
Jeremy D

Nick Payne
Myrtle

Post by Nick Payne » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:24 pm

At the last Timber & Working with Wood show in Canberra last year, one of the booths was selling fabric-backed sandpaper in 650mm wide rolls of various grits. I bought a couple of metres of 150 grit for about $30, as I recall.

tippie53
Myrtle

Post by tippie53 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:19 am

While I may sell this in the states here is a helpful hint If you can find wide belts for a thickness sander , you can cut the belt and make your own disk. A fresh utility blade cuts this well from the back.
60 or 80 grit works the best
Member of the board ASIA
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:06 am

tippie53 wrote:While I may sell this in the states here is a helpful hint If you can find wide belts for a thickness sander , you can cut the belt and make your own disk. A fresh utility blade cuts this well from the back.
60 or 80 grit works the best
Unfortunately I think belts would me more expensive than the disks here (around $60+). Something to think of if I ever come across a run out on belts though. Cheers.
Jeremy D

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:03 am

I can recommend Tippie's sanding disks.

I bought a couple of the 24" ones about 5 years back for my radius dishes. I doubt that I will have to replace them for another 5 years.

For the amount of fiddling around you have to do cutting up belts I'd just order the ones from the States.

They are self-adhesive too

Regards
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:09 pm

Sounds good Bob, I have been buying 1200 wide un-joined belt but I have to add glue.

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:15 pm

The paper from blues creek seems reasonably priced. The PSA backed stuff from Supergrit is about the same or a bit less. The problem is shipping this stuff from the US is expensive. To my mind 25 bucks in AUS seems pretty good or am I missing something? Maybe its not as good? All I know about it is it is cloth backed Aluminum Oxide. I know Kim has bought from them in the past, maybe he could weigh in.
Jeremy D

Bruce McC
Blackwood

Post by Bruce McC » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:27 pm

Hi Jeremy

Please put me down for two (2) disc.
Will PM with details etc.
Bruce Mc.

Clancy
Blackwood

Post by Clancy » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:34 pm

Since you'll already be sending some to Bruce in canberra, I could use 2 as well and just include mine with Bruce's.
We can then split costs, unless his retirement funds are secretly over-inflated. :D
Craig
I'm not the sharpest tool in my shed

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:28 pm

Clancy wrote:Since you'll already be sending some to Bruce in canberra, I could use 2 as well and just include mine with Bruce's.
We can then split costs, unless his retirement funds are secretly over-inflated. :D
No worries ;)
Jeremy D

inoz
Kauri

Post by inoz » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:29 pm

I'll go 4 please Jeremy.

Ray.

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:06 pm

OK So I have:

Trevor 2 - 4
Bruce 2
Craig 2
Ray 4
Myself 2

I might leave it at that because I am not sure if it was minimum of 5 or batches of 5. This makes 14 with Trevor getting 4. I will call them on Tuesday and get in touch with everyone from there.

Cheers.
Jeremy D

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:56 pm

BBk wrote:The paper from blues creek seems reasonably priced. The PSA backed stuff from Supergrit is about the same or a bit less. The problem is shipping this stuff from the US is expensive. To my mind 25 bucks in AUS seems pretty good or am I missing something? Maybe its not as good? All I know about it is it is cloth backed Aluminum Oxide. I know Kim has bought from them in the past, maybe he could weigh in.
Sorry to be late on this. I did buy a couple of 600mm disk from Australian Industrial Abrasives quite a few years back. I don't recall the details but disk were cheap and work really well for me. I do recall that the one PSA disk I got turned out to be a bit of a PIA as it would unbond itself as soon as the weather got warm, but that hasd settled now and it stays put..(think maybe I sprayed it with some contact. I also recall thinking that next time I would go for plain paper backed disk and gluing them myself but also that I would seal the dish with a top coat of urethane instead of straight shellac as I think that may help.

That all said it sounds like things are under control for you guys but I will ask if anyone has checked 'the sandpaperman'. I picked up some wide belt stuff he was clearing out online at a basement price. It was Hemmes brand, paperback 150g @ 900 x 1500? as I recall and that would work just fine but would be a bit more of a workout than 80g when driving the bus though :wink:

Cheers

Kim

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:33 pm

Jeremy, 4 is fine, but if the numbers round out better at 2, that's fine too. Whichever works best given the order multiples required.

Cheers, Trevor.

Gazm
Blackwood

Post by Gazm » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:28 pm

Hi Jeremy +1 RE Sandpaperman...I approached this company before Xmas for glued backed 600mm sanding disc, 80 grit. If I purchased 3 or more a tentative price of $18.00ea, I did mention this forum for quantity bargaining power...maybe time to strike while the irons hot. I'll contact them Tuesday morning & keep you posted.

Gaz

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:37 pm

Gazm wrote:Hi Jeremy +1 RE Sandpaperman...I approached this company before Xmas for glued backed 600mm sanding disc, 80 grit. If I purchased 3 or more a tentative price of $18.00ea, I did mention this forum for quantity bargaining power...maybe time to strike while the irons hot. I'll contact them Tuesday morning & keep you posted.

Gaz
If your going to do this I strongly suggest that you avoid PSA (pressure sensitive adhesive) backed products and focus on getting a price on standard paper backed material. You can then use 3M spray contact to DIY bond to the dish.

As already stated I found standard PSA abrasive is not overly happy about holding a grip within a radius, and cloth backed material is not so good either because when using spray contact the reduced surface area offered by its woven pattern does not provide a bond anywhere near as strong as that of smooth paper.

If concerned about longevity between each product then don't be. The abrasive will be 100% supported when bonded to a solid surface and used in an application that generates next to no heat thereby removing all of the most demanding tasks expected of a premium abrasive from the equation.

IMHO for this particular application, a simple, good quality resin bonded, paper backed abrasive, will perform just as well as anything you could pay much more for.

Shop wise.. 8)

Cheers

Kim

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:03 am

Gazm wrote:Hi Jeremy +1 RE Sandpaperman...I approached this company before Xmas for glued backed 600mm sanding disc, 80 grit. If I purchased 3 or more a tentative price of $18.00ea, I did mention this forum for quantity bargaining power...maybe time to strike while the irons hot. I'll contact them Tuesday morning & keep you posted.

Gaz
Thanks for the tip Gaz. I will give them a call on Tuesday because I could probably pickup from them and ship out, which will save everyone on shipping.
If your going to do this I strongly suggest that you avoid PSA (pressure sensitive adhesive) backed products and focus on getting a price on standard paper backed material. You can then use 3M spray contact to DIY bond to the dish.

As already stated I found standard PSA abrasive is not overly happy about holding a grip within a radius, and cloth backed material is not so good either because when using spray contact the reduced surface area offered by its woven pattern does not provide a bond anywhere near as strong as that of smooth paper.

If concerned about longevity between each product then don't be. The abrasive will be 100% supported when bonded to a solid surface and used in an application that generates next to no heat thereby removing all of the most demanding tasks expected of a premium abrasive from the equation.

IMHO for this particular application, a simple, good quality resin bonded, paper backed abrasive, will perform just as well as anything you could pay much more for.

Shop wise.. 8)

Cheers

Kim
Thanks for the info Kim. I will keep that in mind when I am calling around on Tuesday.
Jeremy D

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:06 pm

Hi Guys.

I have made an order with the sandpaper man. $12 each for 24" 80 grit paper backed. + $8.75 postage to my house (cheaper than fuel to go and pick them up). So around $12.60 + postage cost to you.

I ordered 15, he said he could do this deal for anyone else minimum of 6 dishes.

They will be up to 10 working days as he is getting them made from his supplier. If anyone is unhappy with paper backed and wanted cloth backed please let me know and I will wear it and maybe see if there is anyone else that wants them.

Cheers guys I will PM later today with bank details.
Jeremy D

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:28 am

Hi Guys,

Just an update. I spoke to the sandpaper man yesterday and he had to chase his suppliers, hence the delay. The ETA is now Monday (22nd). I will post here as soon as they turn up and we will workout shipping etc. from there.

Cheers.
Jeremy D

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:52 pm

Picked up the discs today. I will PM everyone over the next few days. Used mine to radius the Blackwood GA I am building and worked very well.
Jeremy D

tippie53
Myrtle

Post by tippie53 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:52 pm

glad to see you guys got all fixed up.
If you every want to do a group buy from us we will be happy to help
I know shipping from the US to Au is a pain in the butt.
Member of the board ASIA
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com