Pattern Makers Vice

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Pattern Makers Vice

Post by ozziebluesman » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:22 pm

Hi to everyone.

Sometime back a few of us here bought a Pattern Makers Vice from Woodwork Supply in the USA at a good deal.

A friend and fellow builder spotted my vice and asked where I got it from. I gave him the story that a few of us bought the vice at a great price.

I have been searching the web for one of these vices for my mate but have not had any luck!

Has anyone seen these vices for sale anywhere?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Cheers

Alan
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

Allen
Blackwood

Re: Pattern Makers Vice

Post by Allen » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:55 am

I had a quick look, and even the place we got ours doesn't seem to have them any more. I recall when I was wanting on that they were a really rare bird to find. Just got so lucky with the deal we got.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:23 am

Seems that a lot of places did stock them for a time but maybe the foundry making them floundered...Stewmac still do them.

I will add that the group buy thing was a luckout all round. The shipping cost for such a heavy item was silly cheap and I reckon the vendor (edit) Woodworking Supply, must have had a glitch with their shopping cart calculator and worn it on the chin....they soon fixed it though. :lol:

P.S. http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Vises ... _Vise.html

Cheers

Kim

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:21 pm

They are still out there. They are also called gunstock carving vise.

Quick search I found these.

Garrett Wade is partial to theirs. I'd almost say emotionally attached. $159.65

Woodcraft has one $134.99

Woodworking Supply also has one. $123.99

I recently picked this one up when it was on sale.

I didn't check out shipping.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:35 pm

Yep Lil as I recall 'Woodworking Supply' is were most on the forum got ours. They had a special on ATT 'and' shipping was cheeeeeaap so it was a no brainer. Looking at the list now I would get the Stewmac job as it has a few refinements such as nylon pivot washers, hand wheel crank, urethane lined hardwood jaws and roller bearings on the screw all of which are worth while considering that they are much the same price anyhow. Guess it would come down to shipping but SM have traditionally been the best bet there also.

Cheers

Kim

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:41 pm

Thanks Allen, Kim and Lil for your help. I will pass on the links.

The vice price is ok but the shipping is going to be very high!

Cheers

Alan
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

liam_fnq
Blackwood

Post by liam_fnq » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:38 pm

I'd love to get one of these too but the shipping cost is a little hard to swallow.

Matt Bach
Myrtle

Post by Matt Bach » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:29 am

I thought the stewmac one was stupid and far too expensive to ship but I bought it anyway on a whim. A couple of years later, I use it literally every day and am considering getting another. If a local variant pops up I am all ears, otherwise I'll gladly pay for another stewmac version, they become very handy and the cost is justifiable I reckon (if you can deduct it).

simonm
Blackwood

Post by simonm » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:26 am

For Europeans the same one is available in Germany http://www.mehr-als-werkzeug.de/product ... s-Vise.htm at 119 euros incl tax. Plus shipping which is not bad within Germany or the EU and with free shipping after a certain order value (EU only).

steve_I
Beefwood

Post by steve_I » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:40 pm

Kim wrote:Looking at the list now I would get the Stewmac job as it has a few refinements such as nylon pivot washers, hand wheel crank, urethane lined hardwood jaws and roller bearings on the screw all of which are worth while considering that they are much the same price anyhow. Guess it would come down to shipping but SM have traditionally been the best bet there also.

Cheers

Kim
Kim,

Even though SM continues to advertise that the unit has a large roller bearing at the front, my experience is that it is not the same as the picture. The bearings are hidden behind the handle. There is also no nylon pivot washer as such but a nylon-cored nut that holds the upper jaw on. The casting is rough and imprecise - the hole in the rear upper rotating jaw that the axle slides through was 4mm off center which made the jaws mis-align. You can fix this this by re-mounting the hardwood jaws. From my correspondence with SM regarding the issues and from reading the reviews, it seems that it's pot-luck whether you get a "good" vise or a lemon. SM doesn't carry spares so there's no way to replace dodgey parts - you have to send it all back and I was told that there is no guarantee that the replacement would be any better. I would read all the reviews before making a decision about buying.

Having said all that (and having fixed the problem with jaw misalignment), the vise does work as expected and it gets used all the time - just don't expect a precision made tool. They must have at some stage had the model shown in the pictures (with large roller bearing at the front) but at the time I bought one they were not shipping that exact model.

Regards,
Steve.

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:32 am

These are great vices for carving necks. I wouldn't be without one now.
Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!