Is the Dreadnought dead?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Is the Dreadnought dead?

Post by Tod Gilding » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:04 pm

I was just looking for opinions on the dreadnought,

not many on the forum are building them, and I am finding my acoustics (a slightly larger OM) are just as loud if not louder than any Dread and a lot easier to play being smaller.

I know Allen McFarlen mentioned that he had thrown out his dread mold and form seeing no further use for them.

I was going to build a Dread but was wondering if I may be wasting my time.

What‘s the general consensus? Has the Dreadnought Guitar seen It's Day ?
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Re: Is the Dreadnought dead?

Post by DarwinStrings » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:43 pm

G'day Tod. My guess would be no, almost all the players I know use them. I am not sure why you wouldn't build it if you want to build it unless you are aiming for a market and I don't have a glue what the market wants. Maybe ask you local guitar shop to see what they sell most of. It might be Cole Clark Fat Ladies for all I know.

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:54 pm

No Jim I'm not looking for a market, I'm just not sure if there would be any advantage building a Dread, when with all this Gore/Gillet technology my medium sized guitars can now compete with larger instruments,So is it worthwhile building the larger instruments ?

I don't Know :)
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:40 pm

I'd build one if a customer wanted me to but I not only prefer the smaller bodied guitars (cos I'm a fairly small chap) comfort & ease of playing-wise but also, as you say, it is possible to build better sounding/competitive smaller bodies. I think the Americans still seem to like their bigger bodied axes but until us antipodeans can prove otherwise, they'll stick with them I'll guess.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

68matts
Blackwood

Post by 68matts » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:46 pm

Personally I want to build guitars that I would want to play, probably because I realize that I most likely will never sell any :roll: .
I have two dreadnaughts, one is a near mint condition thirty year old high end Maton that has great sentimental value but I just hate playing it, just too big and cumbersome (for my ever expanding frame anyway :( )
So it's all small bodies for me and hopefully no one will ever ask me to make a dreaded dready :D
Matt

ozwood
Blackwood

Post by ozwood » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:59 pm

Hi Todd,

They are called Dreadnaughts for a reason......................... How do I feel about making them?, I DREAD it, how many do I want to Make?, NAUGHT.

Cheers,
Paul .

P Bill
Blackwood

Post by P Bill » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:12 pm

Has anyone applied the Gore/Gillet building to a dread? All things being equal it should be the arms race all over again.
The only guitar I own is a dread. I play it sitting down, with a strap and just push the bulk aside. Not a worry.
"Were you drying your nails or waving me good bye?" Tom Waits

Bill

martintaylor
Blackwood

Post by martintaylor » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:43 pm

I just build what I am asked to build. I love small bodies but I am happy to voice a dreadnought. The best vocal groups have not just a variety of pitch types but the unique tones of each voice blending to give a broader listening experience. I love that about the guitars we build, different voices for different outcomes. If every singer was the same it would be boring. I like the sound of cigar box guitars too but I wouldn't want all guitars to be like them.

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:10 pm

If you're American and play bluegrass, there is no other guitar.

OK, maybe a J200.

All way too big for their own good, IMHO. Remember, you have pretty well got just the one size of "engine", i.e. 12 gauge strings (maybe 13s for the hard core). With just the one engine size, would you put it in a Mini or a Mack truck if you wanted performance? You can always voice a small body to sound like a D (but louder) if you really need that sound.

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:37 pm

Don't need to be an American.

If you play Bluegrass there is no other guitar.

My main axe is a 1980 D-18 bought new in (well) 1980.

Regards
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

Crafty Fox
Blackwood

Post by Crafty Fox » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:19 am

I wouldn't part with my big old Guild D55. But I don't play it much either. I too prefer smaller acoustics.
Ken

Tom West
Myrtle

Post by Tom West » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:02 am

I'll support the "not if your playing Bluegrass" stance............!!!
Tom
The person who has never made a mistake has never made anything....!

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:17 pm

I'm Wondering how many bluegrass players have held a medium falcate braced powerhouse in their hot little hands :mrgreen:
Tod

John Lennon

DaveW
Blackwood

Post by DaveW » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:36 pm

I have a 1973 D28 bought new which I very rarely play,well actually never, it was the first steel string I purchased ,cost me twice as much as I earned in a year,think it took me 3 to pay off ??
it has followed me through years of not playing ,marriage ,kids,divorce etc etc its the one thing I have always had whether it was stashed somewhere in a garage ? or closet or with me so it has sentimental value and as much as I want to get rid of some due to room constraints I could never sell it
interesting thing is my sons friends think it is the best acoustic they have ever heard,and I have quite a number of acoustic guitars,is it that big sound they have that jumps out at them ?
these guys range from death metal heads to blues players so its not like they are into bluegrass ?
I know the 70s wasnt a good period for guitar building but it does sound pretty good so maybe it is a design that needs to be considered,it kept Martin alive for a long time
and if it stands the test of time there is something to be said for the design I would think
anyway thats my 2 bobs worth
sorry about the remeniscing (how do you spell that word?)
Dave
The Older I Get The Better I was ?

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:41 pm

DaveW wrote:I have a 1973 D28 bought new which I very rarely play,well actually never, it was the first steel string I purchased...
DaveW wrote:...interesting thing is my sons friends think it is the best acoustic they have ever heard...
You must have the good one, Dave!

Dave White
Blackwood

Post by Dave White » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:33 am

Try one of these:

More details here

Video Here
Dave White
[url=http://www.defaoiteguitars.com]De Faoite Stringed Instruments[/url]

P Bill
Blackwood

Post by P Bill » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:14 am

lovely guitar Dave,

As others have said dreads and bluegrass go hand in glove. As well as F5 mandos and acoustic double basses. " A " style mandos for old time and teles for country. It's the sound as much as the look. The general consensus ( still a hot topic ) is, not a lot of difference between an A and an F mando.

I've shown my basses at mainly bluegrass festivals, the bass players always always like them. Not as much work to play, easy to transport, no feedback, and they look good. It's the rest of the band that wants the visuals of a big doghouse on stage. Somehow it's not proper bluegrass without a dread, an f5 or an acoustic db.
"Were you drying your nails or waving me good bye?" Tom Waits

Bill

pat foster
Myrtle

Post by pat foster » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:32 am

I like to drop in here once in a while, and just happened to spot this thread.

In the US, the dread is still king in the music stores, it seems. I think it's the big American sound that sells them. Of course, in the music stores, they're compared to smaller music store guitars, so they really stand out. Everybody seems to love the bass, never mind the higher tones, balance, sustain, or any other qualities we try to build in. I think it's just that the bass is what the unrefined ear can pick up.

I'd had 3 D-28s over the years, because that's what country/old timey music is played on. Never mind that a good OM can sound like a dread. OMs just didn't look right, and we hear with our eyes when it comes to guitars, no? So OMs didn't seem to sound right because they didn't look like a dread. Go figure.

I built a HB D-28 style guitar about five years ago, just because it seemed like everybody who builds guitars should build a dread, like a rite of passage. I'm glad I did, I learned a lot. It sounds and plays great, but I never play it either. I do take it to the annual local folk festival here, where a lot of blue grassers play it. They love it, but although it looks like a Martin except for the decal, they don't buy it because even though it looks like a herringbone D-28, it's not a Martin, no matter how it sounds. Not to denigrate these guys, but they're some Harley owners I know - if it ain't a Harley, it ain't a motorcycle.

I've had orders for 000s, OMs, and L-00s since then, but never a dread. But I'll still keep the molds. They might come in handy some day.

Pat

Tom West
Myrtle

Post by Tom West » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:46 am

pat foster wrote:

I do take it to the annual local folk festival here, where a lot of blue grassers play it. They love it, but although it looks like a Martin except for the decal, they don't buy it because even though it looks like a herringbone D-28, it's not a Martin, no matter how it sounds. Not to denigrate these guys, but they're some Harley owners I know - if it ain't a Harley, it ain't a motorcycle.

Pat
Been waiting for someone to post this for a long time. It sure is the truth. I do mostly dreads but I can fine any Martin decals anywhere................................... :D
Tom
The person who has never made a mistake has never made anything....!

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:22 pm

Young Bob in 1980 with his D-18 ......................Sorry Bob I couldn't help myself (Again) :mrgreen:
Attachments
imagesCAX9L0B4.jpg
imagesCAX9L0B4.jpg (9.11 KiB) Viewed 18561 times
Tod

John Lennon