Stinky case

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Re: Stinky case

Post by charangohabsburg » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:09 am

LizzyPie wrote:I second the use of Baking Soda. I use that stuff for everything and it's a great odor absorber.
I had success with de-odoring old books with baking soda. But what a mess to clean the book afterwards! (Not recommendable with really valuable books).

I am afraid that (like other here have said before) that with some stinky cases nothing except of returning them to the seller will help. About 4 or 5 years back I bought 4 ukulele cases (inexpensive but nicely made, cost about 30 Euros / 40 Dollars). Three of them are perfectly OK, but one still stinks (although a little bit less), in spite of having it exposed opened to the sun for several months (during four summers), having packed in several times baking soda, tea leaves, coffee powder, spices, again baking soda, rosewood shavings airing it again, and so on. I guess it will stink on of glue for a decade or more unless I fill it for a few hours with Qld. Walnut shavings...

I think that returning the really bad stinkers to the seller (and he giving it back to the importer, etc.) is the only way the manufacturers will have a chance to get well aware of the problem.
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.