Suitable Tasmanian soundboards

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

kpcart
Myrtle

Re: Suitable Tasmanian soundboards

Post by kpcart » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:26 am

back on topic, before maybe starting a new topic without jokes and sarcasm. i am looking into alternative Australian woods for a Spanish guitar project or 2.

now, i read general consensus and obscure data, but i assume no Tasmanian wood is as good as European Spruce, which has been proven to transmit sound faster then any other wood (though that would be subjective too if not all wood was tested).

I am looking at King Billy pine and Huon pine for soundboards, people who have worked with them, how would you compare them to European Spruce and Western Red Cedar?? i have read that King Billy is close to redwood of california but weaker across the grain, so probably weaker then cedar too, but stiffer along the grain. is this how guys in this forum who have used the wood have found it to be?? is it heavier or lighter then those woods? internet searches have found little data. being weak across the grain, i am thinking it needs stronger bracing if thicknessed similar to spruce or even cedar.

I am also interested in Celery top pine, thinking of using it for a flamenco back and sides, or even classical back and sides, as a replacement for Cypress. am i right from the limited internet data that this wood is similar to mahogany in weight, density and stiffness?? it seems to suit backs better then tops?

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:17 am

King Billy varies so much that it is difficult to generalise about it's properties.

I have about 30 sets and they vary hugely from tree to tree.

The other thing to understand about King Billy is that it is usually cut into boards, not split, so there will be varying degrees of runout in it.

You need the piece that you are going to build with, in your hands before you decide what you are going to do with it.

I know it's not much help but it's impossible to generalise.

Celery Top pine isn't a pine, it's a hardwood and would be fine for back and sides.

Regards
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

ozwood
Blackwood

Post by ozwood » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:18 pm

Hi,

I don't have any where near the experience that Bob has, but I will echo his comments I have about 10 sets of KBP and they are so , so variable, really there are only about 4 sets that are worthy of being used, the rest are just to floppy in both directions , which means by the time you brace them to compensate you have added to much mass to end up with anything responsive , although I guess if your JEDI level luthier skills you probably could .

I was in tassie earlier in the year, I picked up about 30 sets of KBP tops , I purchased 2 .

First job is to find a nice set of KBP with the best stiffness along and across the grain you can find, without any significant flaws and then work from there.

I love the sound , and I love using KBP , but finding a good top is like winning Lotto, hence why it's just easier and much cheaper to use Lutz, engleman or WRC .

But I get where your coming from, so good luck and I look forward to seeing the results.

As for the back and sides, Have you considered some Sassafras , not the black heart ,just plain Sassafras or Silver ash, Both would be OK for a Spanish Guitar IMHO.

Can't comment on Celery top, but would be a bit to heavy to my way of thinking.

Cheers,
Paul .

kpcart
Myrtle

Post by kpcart » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:33 pm

celery top wouldnt be heavier then a rosewood though would it, considering it is a conifer, or does it not bear cones?

i have thought about the 2 sassafras.

is any one on this site willing to part with a good set of King Billy, and a good set of Huon. ones with as little as possible runout and good strength across the grain for the species. also as straight a grain as possible (worth a a shot at asking?).

from the sounds of it, the weaker king billy sets might call for hard, but light bracing wood like yellow cedar (a cypress).